Options

5D Mark II LP-E6 Battery - 3rd Party

swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
edited October 3, 2010 in Cameras
Are there any good 3rd party batteries worth considering for the 5D Mark II?

Comments

• Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    The Flashpoint lp-e6 from Adorama.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,827 moderator
    edited October 2, 2010
    kolibri wrote: »
    The Flashpoint lp-e6 from Adorama.

Thanks for mentioning. I didn't realize that Adorama had their own line of LP-E6 replacements. I do note that one version is claimed to be fully compatible with the LP-E6:

http://www.adorama.com/IBYLPE6.html

While they also have a version which requires a generic charger that does not relay battery charge status:

http://www.adorama.com/IBYLPE6K.html

http://www.adorama.com/IBYLPE6B.html

I see that B&H has an offering of either generic (no battery status) or genuine Canon:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=LP-E6&N=0&InitialSearch=yes
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    TeamSpeedTeamSpeed Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    I have had good luck with the 2 Maximal batteries I picked up on Ebay.
    7D, 70-200L IS, 17-55 IS 2.8, 150 2.8 macro, 12-24, 100-400L, 85 1.8, 50 1.4
  • Options
    PlasticMotifPlasticMotif Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited October 3, 2010
    Always had goodluck with sterlingtek batteries.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2010
    I just went to Adorama's site and noticed this statement:

Flashpoint LP-E6 Replacement Battery for the Canon EOS 5D mark II Digital Camera. Works with Canon Charger. Displays info in Viewfinder

What does "displays in viewfinder mean?" Does it relay the status so it can be displayed in the menu or just the little useless icon?

Also the battery received very mixed reviews. Ranging from 1 star to 5 stars.

Sam
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,827 moderator
    edited October 3, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    I just went to Adorama's site and noticed this statement:

Flashpoint LP-E6 Replacement Battery for the Canon EOS 5D mark II Digital Camera. Works with Canon Charger. Displays info in Viewfinder

What does "displays in viewfinder mean?" Does it relay the status so it can be displayed in the menu or just the little useless icon?

Also the battery received very mixed reviews. Ranging from 1 star to 5 stars.

Sam

I believe that they mean that the remaining power is indicated and that power management is available (much like a genuine Canon battery).

The more "generic" battery, by comparison, gives you a warning when you first start the camera that the battery is not able to communicate with the camera, and you have to confirm if you want to proceed to use the battery in the camera. The generic battery will not give any status as to when it is about to run out of power.

Use the more compatible battery when you want a more similar experience to a genuine Canon battery.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2010
    I use the unchipped Adorama version of the lpe6, which the 7d also uses. They didn't have the "full function" one (ie relays information to camera) when I bought the camera back in May.

The one I have requires the 3rd party charge, and the camera doesn't "recognize" it to be able to show battery life etc, but if you don't mind that it's great. Works perfectly. And the 3rd-party charger can charge the OEM battery (although not the other way around). It's worked perfectly for me and the cost saving was WELL worth it! Also, the 3rd-party charger is a lot smaller, so it's less space in the bag!

That said, for $37 the newer one which also shows battery life is a very decent buy - had they had them at the time, I probably would have plumped for that.

ETA: I bought my camera as a refurb from Adorama, and therefore decided that for warrantee purposes I'd go with an Adorama battery rather than Stirlingtek or one of the others. YMMV.
  • Options
    AroundDWorldAroundDWorld Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited October 3, 2010
    I have always bought from here with no problems at all...........http://www.bestbatt.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=5D+mark+II
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2010
    I use the adorama canon-compatible battery. I don't notice any difference between the 1 canon battery I have, and the 2 adorama 'chipped' batteries, both seem to have the same life, and give the same battery power updates, and fit interchangeably in the canon charger. Somewhere in a box I have the non-oem batteries that came with my used camera purchase, but since they require a separate charger, I don't like to use them and get them mixed up, since I use my gear traveling a lot and I don't want to end up with incompatible equipment.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2010
    Are there any good 3rd party batteries worth considering for the 5D Mark II?

It may be me, But The Canon battery seems to last a L O N G time! All I shoot is video (yet) with the thing...and I rarely Charge it. When I do, it charges twice as fast as my Nikon!
    tom wise