Options

Saigon Hustle

Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
edited September 21, 2008 in Journeys
Part 1 Hanoi: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=103813
Part 2 Sa Pa: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=103726
part 3 Saigon: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=105997
part 4 Ha long - Cuc phuong: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=124298
part 5: Whale island - Hoi An - Mui Ne: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=124820
part 6: Dalat - Cu Chi - Mekong delta: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=126400

Hustle Bustle in Vietnam's bussiest city....SAIGON!!

Where Vietnam is one of the bussiest places in East asia, Saigon is the bussiest place in Vietnam. Bikes, motorcycles, cars, trucks, everything whirls around you with lightning speed and total disregard for rules or human life.

There is one rule when crossing the road: walk slowly.. This ensures that motorcyclists can predict your path and take evasive measures. The last day we were in Saigon we saw a group of tourists try to run to the other side of the road. Obviously they were new to Vietnam because with that way of crossing they wouldn't have lasted more than a week :D

On to the Photo's:
369928344_CznTj-XL.jpg
Couple slowly crossing the road. mad cyclist are whirling by, total disregard for the fact the people are walking on a road crossing :rolleyes

369940335_Jff54-XL.jpg
Mounted Police (see my other post of Hanoi for ramblings about VN policemen).

369938985_rGF5v-XL.jpg369937978_hozBX-XL.jpg
Elderly people in traffic. I love the expression on the man's face. The old people have such dignity! The policemen is not arresting the cute old lady btw, but helping her cross the road :thumb

369943110_ue8y5-XL.jpg
Saigon fashionata; some of the girls looked like michael jackson in their efforts to stay out of the sun.

369925609_mSE6v-XL.jpg369925012_d6Zra-XL.jpg
Some of the weirder contraptions that drove by. I have more extreme examples which i will post in a short while :D

369941172_Ba38Z-XL.jpg
Saigon cyclo drivers

369948709_7ZejJ-XL.jpg369943206_CzUqW-XL.jpg
Some of the more unfortunate vietnameze. There are still a lot of children born with abnormalities (claimed to be an effect of the agent orange and/or napalm). Luckily the government is providing them with work in the souvenir manufacturing bussiness so they're off the streets :thumb
Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2008
    I love these! I especially love the man with the bananas.
  • Options
    DECinNCDECinNC Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited September 17, 2008
    I'm glad I stopped by to look. I like them all but the bannana man is my favorite.
    Dale Childress
  • Options
    edited September 18, 2008
    haha well thank you! the bananaman is a hit :D
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    Excellent set and thanks for sharing!! This is an amazing variety of faces and expressions. I really love the three drivers, particularly the one yawning with the cigarette. Fantastic and I hope you had a wonderful time. I hear the food in Vietnam is incredible thumb.gif
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    These are great
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    thanks awais and schmoo! bowdown.gif

We had a wonderful time in Vietnam and the Vietnamese people were the 'thing' we fell in love with most. If you get over the initial shock its great to be surrounded by all the different personalities. Food.. just thinking about it makes me want to go back mwink.gif
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    Food is one of our basic needs so food prep and consumption plays an important role in the Vietnamese and many other cultures. Many people still don't have access to electricity and refrigeration so their food must be prepared daily from fresh local ingredients, which often mean better tasting dishes.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    Beautiful series of images. Great panning. I thought Hanoi traffic was chaotic, but Saigon traffic was even crazier. The speed of traffic in Saigon is faster. It's not easy to walk across the street when motorcycles aim straight at you at high speed.
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    Love all of these. Great series. Thanks. clap.gif
  • Options
    FuronoFurono Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    "Saigon cyclo drivers" is my favorite. Nice work.
    Steve Nelson
    Tour Leader - DPRK
    Uri Tours
    SmugMug - photos.japanphotos.jp
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2008
    thanks cuong, tisun, dlplumer and furono for the positive comments

Much appreciated!
  • Options
    T.G.T.G. Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited September 21, 2008
    Fantastic!
    Fantastic images. I agree with the other favorites, but I also enjoyed the "mounted police" a lot.
    I am in awe of those who are able to take such great street shots. I've tried my luck a couple of times, but am just not cut out for it.
    Amazing work, congratulations!