Smart Gallery Issue - Having to re-save smart settings to populate gallery

RuntscalRuntscal Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
edited September 10, 2012 in Bug Reporting
Okay -- so maybe this is something I'm doing in the wrong order or something

Category - Sports, Sub-Category Football 2009-2010 contains multiple
galleries for Football events.

Created a new Sub-Category Football 2009-2010 by Player
Created a gallery for each player and made each gallery "smart" by entering
the year+school code+player# (2009sgp72).
I then entered the corresponding info into the keyword section for each pic.

The galleries did not populate automatically even after quite awhile & would still show as empty. I then reaccessed setting for the player galleries and re-saved the "smart" data that was already there. The photos populated immediately.

After the gallery no longer showed as "empty" --- any new additions seemed to populate without having to re-save.

I tried this again today with Drill Team and in the same order.

New Sub-Cat under Sports, Drill Team and created 5 new galleries by dancer.

Again -- I have to re-save to get them to populate.

Is it me?

Comments

• Options
    edited February 10, 2010
    Okay -- so I tested this a bit more.

It seems to work fine & populate quickly with no re-save of the smart rule IF
    I enter my keywords on the images in the original gallery and then create the new virtual gallery, add the smart rule & save. It populated immediately.

Ironically, I did the steps in other order (create virtual gallery, entered smart rule, then entered keyword on the images in the original gallery).
    20 minutes later it still has not populated (this was done before the above).

It must be something to so with the order of creation/entry

If you need to check functionality

keyword, create virtual, enter smart rule & save ---- was done with Sports, Drill Team 2009-2010 by Dancer, Chey-Anne Jessica 2009-2010 - immediately populated

create virtual, enter smart rule & save, enter keyword in original ---- was done with Sports, Drill Team 2009-2010 by Dancer, Chey-Anne Laura 2009-2010 --- still has not populated. The images that were coded and are still not populated are located in the Chey-Anne Santa gallery (keyword calaura0910)

Another example: See Sports, Drill Team2009-2010 by Dancer, Chey-Anne Chloe 2009-2010 ---- just code 1 image in existing album
    with cachloe0910 (previously entered smart rule) --- it still shows an empty gallery. Same scenario order as #2 with calaura0910 above.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2010
    New Info:

So...... 7 hours later --- both galleries (Chey-Anne Laura & Chey-Anne Chloe) still have not updated based on the smart gallery rules.

I accessed the Laura gallery & re-saved the existing smart rule -- it populated the 6 new photos immediately.

I left the Chloe gallery as is for testing purposes.
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 11, 2010
    Checking. thanks for the details.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2010
    Another Person reporting Similar Issues in 1367646 thread
    #247 Dan Streiffert vbmenu_register("postmenu_1327579", true);
    Beginner grinner

icon5.gifPotential Bug in Smart Gallerues
    The new Smart Galleries are great. When adding keyword based photos to an existing gallery, it works fine. The problem is that when I add new photos later on, with the same keyword, the smart gallery is not updated.
    The smart gallery http://danstreiffert.smugmug.com/Hot...85672864_NNPeQ
    is based on the keyword "skagit flats" and includes several photos from other galleries. I recently added a new photo to my "Recent Photos" gallery with the same keyword, but it does not show up in the smart gallery. You can verify this by doing a keyword search, which shows 40 photos with keyword "skagit flats", but there are only 39 in the smart gallery.
    user_offline.gifreport.gif quote.gif Dan StreiffertView Public ProfileSend a private message to Dan StreiffertSend email to Dan StreiffertVisit Dan Streiffert's homepage!Find More Posts by Dan StreiffertAdd Dan Streiffert to Your Buddy List
    post_new.gif Feb-14-2010, 01:45 PM #248 Runtscal vbmenu_register("postmenu_1327646", true);
    Big grins

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dan Streiffert
    The new Smart Galleries are great. When adding keyword based photos to an existing gallery, it works fine. The problem is that when I add new photos later on, with the same keyword, the smart gallery is not updated.
    The smart gallery http://danstreiffert.smugmug.com/Hot...85672864_NNPeQ
    is based on the keyword "skagit flats" and includes several photos from other galleries. I recently added a new photo to my "Recent Photos" gallery with the same keyword, but it does not show up in the smart gallery. You can verify this by doing a keyword search, which shows 40 photos with keyword "skagit flats", but there are only 39 in the smart gallery.

Hey -- I reported this issue under Bug Reporting --- see thread -- they are looking into it. See also my post in this thread #242. I found that if I re-save my smart rules-- it will then populate immediately. However, not the way it should work & a pain in the butt if you've set up a ton of virtual galleries.

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=158660

Thanks, Monica

• Options
    edited March 1, 2010
    Okay -- so still having issues.

I added a new album under Sports, Dril Team 2009-2010 called Chey-Annes Danceline Candids - Feb 2010. I then added keywords that correspond to
    already established smart/virtual galleries by dancer. The photos did not populate. Tried re-saving the smart settings (as I had to before to get it to populate) -- but it still doesn't populate.

By Dancer

i.e., Chloe, Emily, Bria M, Margaux.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2010
    Monica,

There is something wrong with the way the keywords are updating and we are looking into that. I think it might be related. Please hang in there. thumb.gif

--Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2010
    Thanks doc! Since original post -- now it's not reading the keywords and updating at all (even after re-save)

docwalker wrote:
    Monica,

There is something wrong with the way the keywords are updating and we are looking into that. I think it might be related. Please hang in there. thumb.gif

--Doc
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2010
    Monica,

We have some fixes going live very soon that are related as you mentioned in your other thread. I cannot replicate the problem on our test system I think maybe because the problem has been fixed. Let me know after the next release if this fixes the problem. I will keep this open and get back with you.

--Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2010
    Tested it just now & it worked fine ---- create new gallery, applied smart rule, added keywords to images --- populated fine. Thanks so much -- I'll let you know if I encounter any further issues.

I love love love this feature!

docwalker wrote:
    Monica,

We have some fixes going live very soon that are related as you mentioned in your other thread. I cannot replicate the problem on our test system I think maybe because the problem has been fixed. Let me know after the next release if this fixes the problem. I will keep this open and get back with you.

--Doc
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2010
    Ok Doc! I believe some fixes may have gone in last night. Forgive me -- but I have multiple accounts that I work with.

Working with Individual Galleries by Dancer (By Dancer Category) ---- images within Category Competitions, Danceline 2010 being coded with keywords.

I still believe there may be some bugs
    in checking/testing my account
    sgpcheyannes.smugmug.com -- I found this.

Days ago photo coded with keyword before any recent fixes: margaux0910

Noticed this morning that photo had still not populated into smart gallery
    called Margaux (2009-2010).

I tried re-saving the smart gallery rule - it did not populate.

I cleared the keyword, re-entered it, re-saved it.

It did not automatically populate.

I re-saved the smart gallery rule again --- it finally populated.

FYI --- other images coded margaux0910 this morning -- seem to be populating fine (before the re-save of the smart rule).

I will see if I can find other instances of this. I guess what I'm saying is that the fixes may help the newly coded images -- but not pick up the old coded images unless you re-code & re-save the keyword & smart rule.

Monica
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2010
    Ok so did some testing --- same issues still exist

http://sgpcheyannes.smugmug.com/By-Dancer/2008-2009-CheyAnnes

Created new sub-category 2008-2009 CheyAnnes
    Created 2 new galleries 1) Bria M (2008-2009) & 2) Emily (2008-2009)
    Added smart rule to both
    Went to Events, Events 2009, Banquet - May 2009
    Added keywords to a few of Emily & Bria's images
    DID NOT POPULATE either.

Added keyword to images for Carlie within Banquet - May 2009
    Created 1 new gallery Carlie (2008-2009)
    Added smart rule
    POPULATED immediately

Re-accessed Emily (2009-2009)
    Re-saved smart rule
    POPULATED immediately

Bria M (2008-2009) still has not POPULATED (did not re-save smart rule left it alone for testing purposes)

Monica
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2010
    I am still digging into this. I am not sure if everything got fixed that I had hoped. :cry
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2010
    Thanks Doc! If you need to do some more looking/testing or if I can help on this end -- let me know.

I just added a couple of galleries under Sports, Drill Team 2009-2010,
    Chey-Annes Danceline Lyrical Practice
    added keywords to images.

Checked existing Drill Team by Dancer 2009-2010 (Emily, Chloe etc).
    Smart Rules already in place as ANY & NO ---nothing populated.

The galleries that I have keyworded/coded the images are NOT password protected or unlisted.

I changed the NO to a YES (include unlisted & password protected) -- it populated.

This is on monicamanning.smugmug.com

Monica
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2010
    Addtl testing

In all scenarios -- galleries where images are keyworded/coded are NOT unlisted or password protected

If smart rule setting is ALL + YES or NO

nothing new populates & all existing images clear out.

If smart rule setting is ANY + yes

it populates fine & immediately

If smart rule setting is ANY + no

nothing populates (but you don't existing images already in gallery from smart rule)
  • Options
    roletterolette Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    Smart Gallery doesn't auto-populate
    You aren't the only one having issues with this, Runtscal...

Friend of mine setup a Smart Gallery on his SM account with rules to collect shots of him and his daughter (based on keywords) from my galleries.

To date, it hasn't successfully automatically added any pictures to the "smart" gallery. He has to re-save the "smart settings" rules, and then it updates with the current set of matching photos.

For debugging purposes, here's the gallery in question:

http://richardsclan.smugmug.com/Family/From-Friends/11567352_at482#214139329_YoDrf

Jay
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2010
    Guys, At this time I can see that the search indexing is lagging and that is part of what drives this. For now we are going to have to wait on this to catch up. I will check back on this as soon as it is back to normal.

--Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2010
    docwalker wrote:
    Guys, At this time I can see that the search indexing is lagging and that is part of what drives this. For now we are going to have to wait on this to catch up. I will check back on this as soon as it is back to normal.

Lagging by a few hours or a few days? The photos I was looking for in the smart gallery were added 3 days ago...
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2010
    Sorry, what I mean is that with the indexing backed up, I cannot be sure of my tests right now. I am not sure how far backed up it is. I am still checking what I can to see what is going on.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    docwalker wrote:
    Sorry, what I mean is that with the indexing backed up, I cannot be sure of my tests right now. I am not sure how far backed up it is. I am still checking what I can to see what is going on.
    Ah, understood.

Thanks,
    Jay
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    Jay,

Can you check things this morning now that the indexing has caught up? I just checked the rolette site and see ~60 photos that are tagged with Chris and Mary which are the collect keywords for your link. That link shows 67 photos. I say ~60 because some of them are duplicates.

Please let me know.

Monica, I am looking at yours now. But, can you also check. I may not get to dig until later today as I have an appt to go to in a bit.

--Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    docwalker wrote:
    Jay,

Can you check things this morning now that the indexing has caught up? I just checked the rolette site and see ~60 photos that are tagged with Chris and Mary which are the collect keywords for your link. That link shows 67 photos. I say ~60 because some of them are duplicates.

Please let me know.
    FWIW, there aren't any dupes in there. There are a few that are very close, but aren't actually the same.

Chris re-saved the rules on his gallery yesterday (no changes, just hit the Save button again) when we were looking into this. After touching the rules, the gallery content was updated, but I haven't added any new matching photos since then so everything should be correct.

Give me a min and I'll temporarily tag something else and see if it shows up...

Jay
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    Interesting...

Adding and removing keywords directly in SM seems to work fine for the Smart Gallery. The newly tagged photo showed up in the smart gallery as I would expect. It also removed correctly when I removed the matching tag. Worked basically in real-time.

Having said that, I almost never touch keywords directly in SM. I handle all my keywording in Lightroom and SM picks them up from embedded IPTC data. I won't be able to test that until I get home from work tonight, but maybe the issue is in that code path.

Not sure whether Smart Galleries are a push or pull implementation... For a pull model, how the keywords get there shouldn't matter because it would just query for matching photos whenever someone opened the gallery. For a push model, I could easily see forgetting to 'tickle' Smart Galleries when importing new photos with embedded keywords.

Jay
  • Options
    asmytheasmythe Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 31, 2010
    i have the same problem
    I have a smart gallery called "Recent Photos" that is supposed to pick up pictures taken over the past few weeks. But when I upload new photos to new galleries, they don't show up in Recent Photos.

Here's a new gallery of photos I just uploaded that were taken on the 26th.
    http://photos.buckheadrotary.com/Community-Service/2010Kipp/11683451_UH3rj#824400517_Kdqja

Here's the Smart Photos gallery:
    http://photos.buckheadrotary.com/Recent-Photos/RecentPhotos/11570055_cu9Re#817045730_zf6kA

(Interestingly, some photos I think I uploaded yesterday just showed up ...)

What kind of turn around time should we expect from when we post photos until when they show up in the smart gallery?
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    Jay, I was referring to duplicates between the 2 keywords. There where a few that had both keywords so they show in both lists. Not a big deal. I just wanted to make sure if someone was adding both lists totals together that they think about that.

I am going to be digging so you might see some slight changes on your sites as I check a couple things.

--Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    Before you ask, no that is not me breaking the entire SmugMug site. :D

I will have to wait until this problem is resolved. Hopefully soon.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2010
    docwalker wrote:
    Before you ask, no that is not me breaking the entire SmugMug site. :D

I will have to wait until this problem is resolved. Hopefully soon.
    ROFL rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2010
    OK, I have been able to replicate the problem. I am not sure what is causing it but I am sending it to he programmers to get it fixed. Hopefully we can get this fixed soon. thumb.gif
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2010
    docwalker wrote:
    OK, I have been able to replicate the problem. I am not sure what is causing it but I am sending it to he programmers to get it fixed. Hopefully we can get this fixed soon. thumb.gif
    Good deal. Was it specific to keywords derived from IPTC data?
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2010
    I am not exactly sure. I can see it happening and I tested using both keywords in the IPTC and adding them from the site. Both were failing until I edited them a second time. So it may be that they keywords updating is failing. But that is not really what I investigate. I just have the find the steps for replication and let the programmers pull the legs off the bugs.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2010
    docwalker wrote: »
    I am not exactly sure. I can see it happening and I tested using both keywords in the IPTC and adding them from the site. Both were failing until I edited them a second time. So it may be that they keywords updating is failing. But that is not really what I investigate. I just have the find the steps for replication and let the programmers pull the legs off the bugs.
    I experienced a similar issue here. In my case, I defined the smart gallery and then uploaded the images that should match it's criteria. After 10 hours, only a few images showed in the gallery. After resaving the smart gallery rule, all images showed in the smart gallery. Some smart galleries weren't getting updated as new images matching it's criteria were being uploaded (even after waiting 10 hours for indexing).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question