Options

Issues with Smart Galleries - long indexing time

jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
edited May 18, 2010 in SmugMug Support
I was putting up a sporting event tonight and was looking forward to using Smart Galleries to save me the time of uploading lots of duplicate images in order to offer different views of the images. I figured that by using Smart Galleries, I could upload every image just once and then offer views by game, by player and by highlight.

Unfortunately, I ran into a few snags. My images finished uploading three hours ago and they aren't yet done indexing. So, here I thought I was saving time by not uploading dups and it turns out, I would be done by now if I had actually uploaded duplicates. It looks like now I have to wait until morning to see if the indexing finishes so that the Smart Galleries actually have the right images in them.

So ... Smart Galleries are a great idea, but with multi-hour indexing times before they get fully populated, they are not saving me time and maybe I'm just better off uploading dups. At least the upload times for the dups is entirely predictable. The indexing time is entirely unpredictable.

What is the expected behavior for indexing time? I uploaded 328 images and wanted to display seven virtual galleries based on those 328 images. Three hours after the upload finished my virtual galleries have about 1/4 the number of images in them that they should. The whole thing appears busted or so slow that it's ruining it's usefulness for me.
--John
HomepagePopular
JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
Always include a link to your site when posting a question

Comments

• Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2010
    I was having similar trouble the other day with keywords being indexed on some photos where I changed the keywords. (And then also w/a Smart Gallery I created with some of the new keywords not filling up - it took until the following day, and only after I removed and re-added the keywords again...) I thought it was really weird because usually keywords show up instantly...
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2010
    jfriend wrote: »
    What is the expected behavior for indexing time?
    The answer is it depends. Indexing uses resources on the system. Sometimes indexing is lickety-split and sometimes it can be a little while. More often than not, it's the former not the latter. Yesterday we were fighting a few issues on the site and it doesn't surprise me that indexing was lagged a bit.
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    The answer is it depends. Indexing uses resources on the system. Sometimes indexing is lickety-split and sometimes it can be a little while. More often than not, it's the former not the latter. Yesterday we were fighting a few issues on the site and it doesn't surprise me that indexing was lagged a bit.
    OK, if I can't afford to wait overnight, I'm going to have to upload duplicates then because that is predictable in it's timing whereas the Smart Galleries is not. The ironic thing here is that uploading duplicates takes less time than using Smart Galleries. For your sake and ours, I hope that doesn't stay that way.

I had six new smart galleries. Three hours after upload (which finished around 10pm PDT), none of them had the correct number of images in them. Ten hours later, five of the six had the correct number of images in them. One was supposed to have 28 images and only had 9. I open the Smart Galleries settings for that gallery, hit preview on it and all the right number of images showed up and then hit save without making any changes. Now it shows the correct number of images. That is some sort of bug.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    roletterolette Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2010
    jfriend wrote: »
    I had six new smart galleries. Three hours after upload (which finished around 10pm PDT), none of them had the correct number of images in them. Ten hours later, five of the six had the correct number of images in them. One was supposed to have 28 images and only had 9. I open the Smart Galleries settings for that gallery, hit preview on it and all the right number of images showed up and then hit save without making any changes. Now it shows the correct number of images. That is some sort of bug.
    John,

Smart Galleries based on keywords are buggy. Some details here. They were able to reproduce it a month and a half ago, but no fix yet.

Jay
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2010
    rolette wrote: »
    John,

Smart Galleries based on keywords are buggy. Some details here. They were able to reproduce it a month and a half ago, but no fix yet.

Jay
    Thanks, yes my condition was the same steps as you. I defined the smart gallery and then uploaded the images. After waiting all night, only some of the images showed up in the gallery until I resaved the smart gallery settings.
    --John
    HomepagePopular