AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited April 20, 2009 in The Big Picture
previous quotes of the week:

march 19, 2004

march 12, 2004

march 5, 2005

february 26, 2005

february 19, 2005

this week's quote is by pioneering commercial portrait photographer robert bachrach
The technical aspects of photography - lighting, camera angles and background - have to be second nature, said Bachrach, because the real challenge is communication and getting the subject to mellow out.
"People hire me to take pictures of them that are flattering, so that's a prerequisite for the job," he said. "To do that, I have to get them to let their guard down, because people always put their guard up when there's a camera around. Then you can get great pictures."
He guaranteed that things like lighting and the precise camera angle must be chosen carefully, but affirmed that the expression is king. "And the only way to get that is to communicate with [the client.] It can't be just like photographing an inanimate object." -Robert Bachrach

hard to disagree with this - i'm interested in hearing :ear what you do to elicit the best from your subjects....

discuss.

oh and here's a couple of bachrach portraits of my father, from 1960 and 1980. during the 60s, 70s and 80s, bachrach studios had the exclusive on photographing ibm executives.

324978-M-1.jpg

325353-M-1.jpg

they were nothing if not consistent :lol3

Comments

• Options
    edited April 3, 2005
    i'm giving up on quote of the week :D
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i'm giving up on quote of the week :D

Well, there isn't much there to disagree with.. Laughing.gif
    When I am working in the studio with someone, I think it is important to have a conversation. Talk about them and their lives. You need to get to know them a little before you can get honest expressions. I dont want shots with a cheesy fake smile. If I get a smile, I want a real one that their friends and family will recognise as the usual expression of happiness.

I like true looks. Looks that are easily rocognisable as the personallity of the subject.

7418820-M.jpg

This takes a connection which is not always easy to acheive.

7418819-M.jpg

But it is fun trying to get the client to have fun. Thats when I think it works.

7418821-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    Well, there isn't much there to disagree with.. Laughing.gif

thanks brian - yeah what i am trying to do is stimulate discourse on varied topics with the quote of the week :D

thanks for your contribution!
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2005
    andy wrote:
    thanks brian - yeah what i am trying to do is stimulate discourse on varied topics with the quote of the week :D

thanks for your contribution!

And I like it.

I dont always have a reply to the quote, but I check it out every week. I do enjoy reading the words of these people important in the world of photography.

I remember seeing this the day you originally posted this thread. I read it, studdied the portraits of your father (It's really neat that you have these by the way), thought to myself, ... "Yeah, I agree with that" and moved on to the next thread. If thats what it takes to keep the feature going, I will make it a point to post my reaction to the quote weather I agree or not.

I get fired up when someone posts something that i disagree with, but when I agree, I am less likely to post. Even when looking at posted shots in the forum, If I agree with what everyone before me has said, I tend to not post.

I will work on it.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2005
    andy wrote:
    hard to disagree with this - i'm interested in hearing ear.gif what you do to elicit the best from your subjects....
    When I am shooting portraits, I try to break into the real emotional response of the person. If they are stiff and not wanting to smile, then I have to get around that and get them off guard. I ask them to frown and look real serious. That alone can sometimes get a real smile from them. But if not, I shoot the serious look, which almost never looks good.

With that out of the way, I then ask them, instead of "ok smile", I ask them to relax their face and just give the faintest expression of contentment (think Mona Lisa). If they do that, then the cycle of self consciousness has been broken. They are now following my direction. I then ask them, especially if it is a group shot, "Ok, now pretend you're happy" or "Ok, now pretend you like being close to so and so".

But then there are just some people who won't do nothin' you ask (Why did they come for a portrait I wonder hehehe). But that group is in the single digit percentile. They are the hard core ones, and you have to just try and shoot a decent serious look from them. Try to tone down the angry look and turn it more into a contemplative or reflective expression.

Anyway, I enjoy these quotes of the day, but I only recently discovered them. SO I would be sad to see them go away.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2005
    Aw, don't kill the QOTD, Andy. I just had nothing to say about this.

Oh, wait, sure I did. That guy's a dummy, of course technical precision is more important than capturing emotion - no-one cares what people are feeling, they just want them to look good. And by careful application of empirically derived mathmatical models, you can shape a person's face to deliver a satisfactory expression.

Just don't blow the lighting.

How's that? :D
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Aw, don't kill the QOTD, Andy. I just had nothing to say about this.

Oh, wait, sure I did. That guy's a dummy, of course technical precision is more important than capturing emotion - no-one cares what people are feeling, they just want them to look good. And by careful application of empirically derived mathmatical models, you can shape a person's face to deliver a satisfactory expression.

Just don't blow the lighting.

How's that? :D
    Interesting perspective.... ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2005
    Anyway, I enjoy these quotes of the day, but I only recently discovered them. SO I would be sad to see them go away.

deal.gif ok thanks guys i will continue them. but it's contingent on particaption lol3.gif
  • Options
    jess3000jess3000 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 20, 2009
    That is really Interesting perspective! bowdown.gif
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2009
    Guess there wasn't a lot of response for 4 years - eh?

To be a good photographer first you have to have the technical aspects down pat so you can set and forget about it, basically - and focus (bad pun intended) on eliciting the best possible expression from your subject - human or animal.

Now SOME of us have unique sidelines. Me - i shoot bulls. (Yes some bull sh*t too). When breeding farms are promoting their bulls to stud, they need good shots that are well lit and focus on - shall we say - the breeding apparatus? You want to talk about someone doing some fast talking - I have to get the handler to position a 3000 pound behemoth 'just so' - with each leg in the ideal position and angled, slightly uphill, so that either natural (low angle) sunlight or flash will highlight those 'puppies' for prospective cows (or their owners) to admire. Trust me - when you're that close to a critter that could get unpleasant, you DON'T want to be thinking about any technical details like f/stops, shutter speeds etc.ne_nau.gif Hey - it's what I do.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada