Options

quote of the week, feb 26th, 2005

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited March 3, 2005 in The Big Picture
last week's quote of the week thread is here

this week's quote is by diane arbus.

I always thought of photography as a naughty thing to do -- that was one of my favorite things about it, and when I first did it, I felt very perverse. -Diane Arbus, "On Photography" by Susan Sontag.

you can find some of diane arbus' work here and here

so, how do you feel when you're taking photographs? perverse, as diane arbus says she feels, or do you feel some other way?

discuss.

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    Empowered and emboldened. Usually energized beyond my normal level with creative drive. Impatient yet willing to hold a spot for an hour to get a shot.

As with my work, when I'm shooting I often feel bolder than when I'm not. It's as though my mission overrules my caution and normal observance of rules. I enjoy that feeling.

I still get too excited when I shoot. I don't slow my mind down enough to think the problem through. As a result, I make mistakes that are immediately obvious to me right after I leave a location, long before I even look at the shots.

I love being creative, and photography most definitely satisfies that craving.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    I feel excited. I'm capturing something that may show more than the total of what was happening or show nothing at all. I can't wait to see what I did. It's so much fun to see something interesting on the fly and trying to capture it.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    The boy stood on the burning deck
    A pocket full of crackers
    crap..sorry, wrong forum.
  • Options
    gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    I'm always nervous, afraid I'm going to be "caught". I always feel like everyone around me is suspicious of me and my motives. Why do I care? Hmm... don't know. But when I finally get going and ignore everyone around me, I usually lose myself completely in the process of taking pictures and time seems to not exist anymore until at some point I snap out of it, look at my watch, and wonder what city I'm in.

Then I go to Taco Bell.
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    andy wrote:
    I always thought of photography as a naughty thing to do -- that was one of my favorite things about it, and when I first did it, I felt very perverse. -Diane Arbus, "On Photography" by Susan Sontag.
    050103think_prv.gif ........ 110103_wall_prv.gif ......... 110103_confused_prv.gif ....... 033102bad_prv.gif

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    I thought it was like giving birth.

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I thought it was like giving birth.

g

lol3.gif well, could you elaborate? painful? joyous? fearful? all of the above?
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    andy wrote:
    lol3.gif well, could you elaborate? painful? joyous? fearful? all of the above?
    :lol4 I thought everyone knew that giving birth is full of joy. As it would relate to photography. I wasn't afraid, I was annoyed that my husband had spent that much money on a huge enlarger with an especially good lens, the cameras, the whole bit. So I ignored it.

One evening, I thought what the heck, so my then husband showed me how to put the film in the thing, etc. I did that, took the piece of paper out, shined a light on the paper that went through the negative.

Then a put the paper in a tray with smelly clear liquid, and a picture came forth, as I watched. I did another and another and another..........and I didn't quit.

It was like giving birth in that I was creating a totally new thing, one that only I could do. (With my negatives)

A few months later, I was developing pictures, while in labor with my fourth and last child, and I was developing pictures. At a time I deemed appropriate I went to the hospital, had the child, or the subject of many more photographs: both the child and the photographs were created by me.

I think that my initial experience with photography, the black and white kind, was so obviously like giving birth in the creative sense.

Maybe that analogy isn't as obvious with digital photography. I was excited about digital photography from the beginning. As an obvious extension, or direction, for this creative experience and endeavor, in a new technical age.

gingeriloveyou.gif (giving birth and photography)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.