Options

In Memoriam: Ginger Jones

Comments

• Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    My favorite Ginger story is the time she fell while carrying her camera. It must have been sometime in 2005. I couldn't find the post with the search function. If memory serves, she was on her way to the church to take photos of a baptism (or other church event). Hurrying across the street, she tripped. As she fell she thought only of protecting her camera. She was successful but her face was really banged up. She had Bill take a picture of her in the emergency room before the doctors got to her, which she then posted unretouched.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    My favorite Ginger story is the time she fell while carrying her camera. It must have been sometime in 2005. I couldn't find the post with the search function. If memory serves, she was on her way to the church to take photos of a baptism (or other church event). Hurrying across the street, she tripped. As she fell she thought only of protecting her camera. She was successful but her face was really banged up. She had Bill take a picture of her in the emergency room before the doctors got to her, which she then posted unretouched.

Virginia
    I think this is what you are looking for, Virginia:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=24184
  • Options
    mo'mo' Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited May 9, 2007
    In Memoriam: Ginger Jones
    Ginger was my dearest friend. We met through our shared love of corgis and I did meet her- twice- when she came to Virginia to see Sara. The light in her eyes was striking, and she had a joyful energy in every movement of her body. The camera was always in her face, as the woman couldn't not photograph. What a delight for me to watch her viewing the world through her lens, clicking the shutter nonstop except to view and critique what she'd just done. I have the privilege of having a photo she took of my two dogs chasing a ball in the moment when all eight legs are off the ground. Thank you for making her site permanent for now she'll not only live forever in my heart but I can come back and visit her forever, any time I want.
    mo'
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    I think this is what you are looking for, Virginia:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=24184

Thanks so so so much, Ivar!! The story is even better than I remembered (plus it is good to get the facts straight!). What a truly amazing woman Ginger was! She fed us all with her passion for photography. I hope she knew how much she was loved and appreciated by her friends in photography.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    Obituary:

(click for link to website)
    151119934-O.jpg
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    Sara and Pierce, it's wonderful to have you stop by and share some memories of your mother.

Thank you for taking the time.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    Not sure what to say except.. Thanks for everything Ginger, we'll miss you..
  • Options
    dancinkatedancinkate Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    I'm so sorry to hear this. :(
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    This has been very shocking and sad news to absorb. I could tell right away after joining DGrin that Ginger was a special person here. She will be sorely missed. May the peace that passes all understanding cover her loved ones.

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    mamagoomamagoo Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 9, 2007
    Farewell, Ginger
    :(: iloveyou.gif I have known Ginger, living in Mt. P., SC for many years. We met on the tennis courts and she was one fantastic player. She taught me well as I was "new" to the game.
    I saw her photography by chance. I am an artist here and she sent me her webs pixs. I was blown away! She was always out there shooting pix after pix. I could be driving by some obscure st. in town and there was Ginger clicking away! She saw life in so many different angles. Her eye and perception of a pix was everywhere she traveled. She was known to just put the brakes on the car, get out and start clicking away. Traffic had to "go around her".
    I begged her to get more "famous". She surely was equal, if not more talented, than some of the photographers have captured images here in the low country. She was self-effacing, demure, loving; yet out spoken and passionnate about her craft.
    I shall miss her, but her legacy is just a click away.
    She was unique and so talented.
    I wish her family peace and realization that so many people everywhere think of her as a gifted, remarkable true artist.
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2007
    What a character—and so bursting with talent and joie de vivre.

It struck me, reading through all these pages, that as impersonal and anonymous as the net can allow one to be, there are people like Ginger who only use it to let the real them shine through. You don't see a person's illness or their age or anything they don't require you to see in a forum like this. I'll always feel like we only saw the eternal part of her; the part she would most want us to see.

Bye Ginger :cry
  • Options
    johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2007
    I will miss you G. I hope we meet again once I leave this Shadowland.

To Bill and the family, my heart goes out to you all from Washington state. Ginger was a wonderful woman and I had many great conversations with her.

May God be with you in this very difficult time.

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Options
    Boulder BobBoulder Bob Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 10, 2007
    Ginger
    I spend a lot of time reading DGrin but have never posted. Nothing to add or say until now.

To me looking through Ginger's albums is like looking at a fish tank, it lowers the blood pressure and makes one smile. I am glad her albums will still be available.

The photography / SmugMug community will miss her.

Peace to all...

Bobbbie Turner
  • Options
    TUeltzenTUeltzen Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2007
    I just found Ginger’s spot on Smugmug a couple weeks ago when I joined Daily Photo. One of her shots was one of the first ones I saw there and when I saw it I just had to go to her page to see some more. I love her comment on her home page: “I look forward to sharing my water with you! Look up a creek first......might be there, might not.” Just reading that made me feel like I would have been welcomed into her “Creek” if I ever made it to SC.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Thanks Andy for keeping her account going so we can keep enjoying her photographs.
    Rest in peace Ginger we will all miss you.
    Tim
    Tim
    Washington, Missouri

www.PetPhotoKeepSake.com
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2007
    I am on vacation with a very tenuous internet connection and was simply going to post my contest entry.... When I saw at the top of dGrin a memorium to Ginger. I immediately thought, "Not Ginger!" and am quite saddened to hear of her passing.

Ginger, you will be remembered fondly as one who loved photography. I wish her family strength in what most certainly is a very difficult time.

You will always be a member of the dGrin community.
  • Options
    rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2007
    She was clearly an amazing person as I've read from the following messages. the messages from her daughters were very moving. I do remember reading Ginger's posts however, and she was definitely an amazing photographer, I can't wait to order a Ginger original, I'll always remember her as well as the thoughtfulness of this forum. Ginger, You're missed and loved.

and to her family - you are in my thoughts.

- Ross
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2007
    For those who've never stumbled across her self portraits:

http://upacreekphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/828746#P-1-15

Just thought I'd share a link that made me smile...
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2007
    For those who've never stumbled across her self portraits:

http://upacreekphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/828746#P-1-15

Just thought I'd share a link that made me smile...

Here's a couple shots of Ginger that definitely put a smile on my face. :D

http://upacreekphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/416770#7152125-L-LB

http://upacreekphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1447387/2/68613061/Large
  • Options
    fc1piercefc1pierce Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited May 10, 2007
    Ginger's funeral is done
    Today we held the funeral service for our mother. Flowers received were beautiful. The priest gave a wonderful homily. Unfortunately this was the first family event where she was not everywhere taking pictures. It helped us tremendously knowing that she was known and loved outside of our circle. Thanks to the online community we learned the beauty of her life. The priest quoted a line "Everyone is born with a gift and a cross to bear. In life usually your gift is your cross to bear" The cross of her hearing issues which she bore through life also became the gift that led to her photography skills through compensation in the visual medium. She bore her cross well and her gift shone forward in beauty. The family thanks all. Please have a glass of sweet tea and sit back awhile and enjoy her pictures because her song has not ended while her pictures live on. And when the last picture is seen she will still live on in our hearts. Good bye mother.
  • Options
    muddykneesmuddyknees Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    I participate here only sporadically, but visit silently more often, and this place will feel very different for me now without Ginger's presence. It seems like this is Ginger's neighborhood that I visit, even now, with members of her family present, and members and events from her community about, in pictures and in words. Ginger’s openness here has made her a very real person to me and thus I will miss her here.

In a way Ginger represented me in these forums, asking the questions I dared not ask, seeking help that I needed as well, bravely learning intimidating tools like LAB color correction, that I have yet to tackle.

It is good that her pictures, and hopefully her DGRIN message threads, will remain a part of her legacy. I will remember her as well whenever I visit my own local tidal marsh at the edge of town.

Gary
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    Ginger, you will be missed sorely around here. I absolutely loved your images and i hope you're up there now with the perfect camera/lens set-up that you had always dreamed of. I loved sharing old jokes and stories with you over the forums and was always estatic when you would help out the annoying little kid that liked photography. i hope one day i can be as amazing of a photographer as you were and i wish you an eternal peaceful slumber in which you can finally relax and leave physical problems behind.

you were a great woman and i looked up to you,

DanielB
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    fc1pierce wrote:
    Today we held the funeral service for our mother. Flowers received were beautiful. The priest gave a wonderful homily. Unfortunately this was the first family event where she was not everywhere taking pictures. It helped us tremendously knowing that she was known and loved outside of our circle. Thanks to the online community we learned the beauty of her life. The priest quoted a line "Everyone is born with a gift and a cross to bear. In life usually your gift is your cross to bear" The cross of her hearing issues which she bore through life also became the gift that led to her photography skills through compensation in the visual medium. She bore her cross well and her gift shone forward in beauty. The family thanks all. Please have a glass of sweet tea and sit back awhile and enjoy her pictures because her song has not ended while her pictures live on. And when the last picture is seen she will still live on in our hearts. Good bye mother.
    Beautiful.

Sweet tea it is.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    This Really Sucks!
    I can't believe it - this is horrible news.

When I first found this site, Ginger's photographs were some of the first I saw. Heck, nearly all the PMs still in my inbox are from Ginger55.

She has to have been one of the most enthusiastic photographers ever, a real inspiration. She always wanted to learn as much as she could, be as good as she could and got so frustrated when it didn't all come together right away - bit like me really.

Great lady, she will be missed.
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    I have just returned from vacation and wanted to catch up with things at dgrin. What very sad news. Ginger has always been a personal inspiration to me.

She was the first or one of the very first people that I IM'd here at dgrin after I first joined. She had made a post about how to make a custom frame in photoshop. I whipped up a frame on a picture of one of her dogs and we emailed back and forth on how it was done. These were the days when she was just starting photoshop. I knew then that she wasn't much different in age from my own mother and here she was LEAPING into photoshop head first!

From that time, I saw her skills as a photographer and photoshop professional grow exponentially. Her dedication to her craft was unbounded. There were times she seemed to go without sleep because she was so driven to complete a new project, redo a photoshop technique, or reply to just about EVERYBODY who posted on dgrin.

Not too long ago she lost a lens. Talent was never in short supply for Ginger, but money was. I had wimsically come up with the idea of suggesting a formal dgrin Gallery showing and buying a photo to help her out. But I never did ... That's what separates me from people like Ginger ...

She literally did what many of us wish we had the time to do ... live life to the fullest and leave no time wasted. She always had time for family, her church, her dogs and her art. And still some time after that to do dozens of posts on dgrin a day ...

I can and will buy my favorite Ginger photo. All I need to do is find it! She took some amazing photos a couple of years ago at a jazz concert and I remember vividly a blurry picture of a photo of a sax player swaying to the rhythm of the music ...

I do not know how to grieve for someone I have never met ... I am full of such great sadness. All I know is that I hope that I will be as full of life and passion when I reach her age ... she is an inspiration to us all.

And to Ginger,

May the lord bless you and keep you,
    May the lord make his face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you,
    May the lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace.

Giving thanks today for Ginger Jones and how she has touched my life,

Rest in peace dear lady,
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    digismile wrote:
    I remember vividly a blurry picture of a photo of a sax player swaying to the rhythm of the music ...
    Maybe this one? Or another one from that gallery...
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Maybe this one? Or another one from that gallery...

Thanks for finding the gallery. This is the one I was looking for ...

9016693-M.jpg
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    Quote "I do not know how to grieve for someone I have never met ... I am full of such great sadness"

I guess we all have the same problem: not knowing how to grieve or mourn a person we never met in peron... the loss is here though, with all of us...
  • Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    fc1pierce wrote:

I've followed these posts, remembering and commemorating Ginger, her work and her posting style, but have not posted. Scott, even though I did not personally know your mother, your post above brought tears to my eyes, prompting me to add my thoughts. Like so many others, Ginger stood out for me - both in her photography and in her posts. It was very easy to pick out her writing and it usually brought a smile to my face (smile). I'm glad I found this place and at least got to "know" Ginger through dgrin.

Be comforted that she will live on in her photography and in our thoughts.

Colleen
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 12, 2007
    A Big Thank You!
    On behalf of everyone at SmugMug, we want to take this opportunity to thank all of you who emailed us asking for a print from Ginger's galleries. With your help, we have been given the opportunity to support her family in the best way we can - through the purchase of some of her beautiful photography that will live on forever. We now have a way to view the world the way Ginger viewed it ... through her eyes.

Thank you again for all of your support. It has been more than a pleasure to have been part of the support this wonderful community has shown to a fellow photographer and friend.

Barb Gates
    * on behalf of SmugMug *
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    The day doesn't go by when I don't think about Ginger and miss her. But there is something very special about the sadness I feel. It always ends with at least a smile and most often a laugh when I remember something she did or said. I had so many great interactions with her both in dgrin and in private email. And I just think about them and I am happy.
    If not now, when?