Options

Looking for a Little Peace

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited December 24, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
While crossing the street to the theater where they were doing the dress rehearsal for the Angel Tree, a "mountainous bump" in the road tripped me.

My glasses are only scratched and crooked, but my camera, strap around my neck, held in my right hand, it came out unscratched along with the 70-200 lens that was on it.

We are hoping I will be able to put my teeth together and eat again once the swelling goes down.

I am not sure about this peace thing. Bill took this photo of me while we were waiting for me to get checked out at the hospital. The dance master, or whatever he is called, he got a camera handed to him by Bill, and we are hoping that the necessary photos to sell to parents came out OK.

Oh, I picked myself up from my sprawl on the street with the heavy backpack still on my back. Plenty of people observed.

ginger

48363411-L.jpg

Forgot essentials

ISO 3200
clean hair, no makeup at all,
used that tool to remove some very unpleasant lines.
Also used it to remove eye circles as much as possible.
A bit of saturation to get the skin color to show.
USM and that is all. This is what 66 yrs of living can do!

Now, where does one find a little peace at my age,
except for the cemetery.
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2005
    Ginger,

Very sorry to hear of your fall! I really hope your back to yourself quickly!
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Now, where does one find a little peace at my age,
    except for the cemetery.
    ... in photography, of course!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2005
    Thanks, Nir. I am working up a few photos from this morning right now.

Darn I hated missing that ballet tonight!

Thanks,

ginger
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2005
    Ouch. Your picture is painful to look at. Wow, that phrase came out wrong . . . I mean your wounds are painful to look at . . . not you personally!:uhoh

Best wishes of a speedy healing. Your birds will be waitingthumb.gif

but my camera, strap around my neck, held in my right hand, it came out unscratched along with the 70-200 lens that was on it.

says something about your priorities! save the valuable hardware at all costs:):
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2005
    OUCH! Oh dear Ginger hope you get mended quick. I will say you do look rather peacefull all things considered.
  • Options
    Trish323Trish323 Registered Users Posts: 908 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2005
    Ginger,
    Oh my goodness! Please be careful. Sorry about your meeting with the street. Get some high quality vitamin E oil and use it on your abraisions for clean healing!
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2005
    Thanks, John, Thusie, Trish! Actually, I hurt worse today, and the weather outside is supposed to be frightful, too. Don't know how many people that will affect.

I wanted to add that Rutt, were you not looking for a photo of an older lady/woman. Well, as they say, that ain't no lady, but the woman.............

And no makeup either. A few scabs and stuff, just another of life's challenges.

I told Bill that as a member of dGrin, he is, he should enter this as his photo of the year. Problem being I don't want to stare at it. However, I do think it is one of his better photographs. It is Honest.

Thanks, all. Gosh I DO hurt today. Wish I hadn't said, "oh no, I don't need anything for pain".

Smile, (ouch)

ginger
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2005
    Very sorry to see that happen. Very painful it looks. We'll keep you in our prayers!
  • Options
    livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2005
    oh, ginger, OUCH! it does look painful. perhaps some arnica for the bruising? i am so sorry. why does it hurt a little more when we are more mature? :hurt

glad the camera survived. you will be out with it again soon. just take care of yourself for a few days. we always think we are ok, but then find out our bodies are saying to rest for a while......and if you are like me, you don't want to, you want to get right back at it. hang in there, girl :)
    laurie in rural minnesota

my stuff
  • Options
    StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2005
    Oh Ginger..........................
    I wish I was close enough to send you some of my Chicken Soup. You could sip that and the warmth would be good to promote healing.

I'm glad you will be ok in time. Good thing you didn't ruin your camera in the fall - the ER might have had to sedate you!

I would call your Dr and have him phone in an RX for some pain pills. Nothing too strong, but something that will lessen the pain in the next few days. And it will hurt for a few days as the bruising subsides. Take them so you can sleep peacefully, because that is when you body heals the most.

Rest well and take care.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2005
    Whoa - Ginger - I hope you feel better soon. I can tell you from experience with my Pops that this will heal fast and true - if that's any consolation.

I'm holding good thoughts for you.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited December 15, 2005
    Ouch, Ginger! eek7.gifumph.gifbncry.gif

I may have a little bit of good news for you: when I was busy getting my face stitched a few months ago, the young surgeon said through an adorable smile that reminded me of my daughter's smile, "You're in luck. The face is so vascular that it heals much faster than the rest of the body."

And fortunately for you, it doesn't look like you'll retain any souvenirs except for that priceless photo.

On the other hand, my souvenirs are quite handy... I'm meaner and uglier, all the better to scare Andy with.

Get well fast.

Baldy
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2005
    Ginger my best to you for a speedy recovery from that nasty fall
    As others have said please be careful.

My hats off to you though for protecting your gear :Dthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2005
    Thanks all. Gotta get gear insurance. Post haste. Only about 40.00 a yr. I called weeks ago, but have procrastinated.

Yes, I hope and pray I continue to hold my camera, keep the strap around my neck and protect it at all times.

Have a doctor, here, reg doctor, for an appt tomorrow. Am sure he can give me something for the pain. If it still hurts. It sure hurt when I woke up from a nap. (It is my head, neck that hurt, sure it was whiplash from trying whatever was on my mind at the time.)

Don't think I will be doing photography til next week, but Bill's vacation starts then, and I WILL be doing something.

Thanks all, and Baldy that is encouraging re face and healing.

Andy, your experiences with your father? Well, I am old enough to be your mother, I guess............crazy thought. Maybe I am still asleep.

thanks,

ginger (need to get my glasses fixed. My daughter says I air brused my photo.rolleyes1.gifne_nau.gif )
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2005
    Get well soon G. Im sure that bump wont hold you back.

Gus
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2005
    What an awful experience for you, Ginger. I hope you feel better very soon. Thanks for sharing the photo, too. As they say, its worth a thousand words. Maybe Bill can take another one of you when you are all healed and your glasses are fixed - with your camera of course!

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2005
    Geez Ginger, be more careful. I hope you heal quickly, but milk this out and
    make hubby do everything around the house.:D

We could make this a mini challenge. Make ginger look like her normal self.
    Well see how good everyone does.ne_nau.gif

But really, I hope you feel better soon.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2005
    Ginger, ohmygosh! What a terrible time you must be having. I'm so sorry to hear about your fall.

Sometimes a tiny crack (quarter of an inch) can snag a toe and down you go. I find myself walking with my eyes to the ground to avoid tripping on rocks and I miss all the good sights. Not a good thing for a photographer.icon10.gif

Glad you saved your camera. It would be a shame to suffer all that pain and lose your equipment too.umph.gif Be sure to glob on lots of makeup for the family Christmas pictures.mwink.gif

Hope you're feeling better soon.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2005
    Oh my goodness, Ginger!!! I've been caring for a sick grandkid this week (not to mention I've got the same bug myself...yuck!) and I missed seeing this thread until tonight. Looks like you used your face to *cushion* your fall and take the brunt of it in order to protect your camera!!! Well, I suppose it's "cheaper" to heal ourselves than to buy new equipment, but geeze...at what price!!! The good news is that it won't be too terribly long (well, we hope and pray) before you're completely healed up and this becomes one of those oddly funny but still rather painfully awkward memories we seem to accumulate as life goes on, but until then...please take care and get well soon. I'll be praying for you...

Cheers!
    ~Nee
    ps. You know, I'll bet we could get a really long thead going if we started one about the injuries us Dgrinner's have gotten while out taking photos, Laughing.gif! Don't feel bad...you're definitely not alone in this. You can also count me as having had a similar experience, though my injuries were much less dramatic and further south than yours (a knee and ankle in my case). Are we a clumsier lot than normal or just too focused on looking through viewfinders instead of where we're going, Laughing.gif?~
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2005
    Gus, Gina, Snappy, Nee, and anyone I might have missed, I have read all the good wishes and appreciate them.

I especially appreciate knowing that someone else has walked the same "road" so to speak.

I thought it was my age!

I would like a thread of experiences. I was out on the only dock where I am not told to leave now. That was yesterday. There are ropes, hoses, all sorts of hazzards. I went on it last year and was careful.

Yesterday, I was genuinely scared. That made it less safe rather than more. "Aware" is one thing, but paralyizing fear is dangerous, IMO.

I do feel better, for the most part, and of course I shoot. I do think I broke a piece of cartilege in my knee as something is floating, and it wasn't before.

Merry Christmas all. I am going to be with most of my family.

ginger
  • Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2005
    My gosh! Ginger, I am so very sorry to hear about your mishap. It looks and sounds like it hurt. I wish you a very fast recovery.

It just goes to show who the hard-core dgrinners are....the ones that continue to post immediately after being injured like that.

Again, I wish you the best.