Options

Dgrin Shootout 2006 - Cars Thread

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited April 12, 2006 in The Big Picture
Here is where we'll keep track of cars. We're going to be sharing rental cars so please expect to contribute your share if you aren't a renter.

Reply to this post with your vehicle, and expected number of available seats.

Cars Confirmed thus far:

Andy - Minivan :uhoh 7 people
4Labs - Minivan 7 people
Pathfinder - Pickup Truck - 2 people
David_S85 - Van - 2 people
CalfeeRider - 5 people (not coming thru Vegas though).
Mike Lane - 2 people (not coming via Vegas - coming from Seattle)

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited January 19, 2006
    I'll have a small Honda pick up.

I can't do minivans:hide
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    I'll have a small Honda pick up.

I can't do minivans:hide
    snobrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2006
    4labs wrote:
    snobrolleyes1.gif

Ahh he's got a point. I am on my last misery van right now. My oldest boys have cars of their own, so I've no need for 7 in one vehicle any more. Come May, I'm ditchin' the misery van clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Ahh he's got a point. I am on my last misery van right now. My oldest boys have cars of their own, so I've no need for 7 in one vehicle any more. Come May, I'm ditchin' the misery van clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

This will be the first time I ever have driven one. I guess with 4 kids they came in handy.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited January 19, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    ...I am on my last misery van right now. ... Come May, I'm ditchin' the misery van clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I'm just hoping my miserly 12-yr. old van makes it to Utah in one piece (from Chicago), with us included. And I might just leave the miserly van there if it's acting up again.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    I'm just hoping my miserly 12-yr. old van makes it to Utah in one piece (from Chicago), with us included. And I might just leave the miserly van there if it's acting up again.

And so, how many extra seats will you have available for shuttling folks around ear.gif
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    And so, how many extra seats will you have available for shuttling folks around ear.gif

People?

With 4 bikes, 2 of us, 7 pieces of luggage, 14 tripods, 77 lenses and other gear.... ummmmm.....

OK, probably 2 more people if I put the seats back in and forget about the bikes and only take 3 lenses and 1 tripod (and the Mrs.) ...and we assume it makes it there. mwink.gif

edit:
    We're not planning on driving through Vegas unless our lives depend on it - will be coming in from the north direct to Ruby's. We can shuttle a couple others around to wherever we begin hiking from, or any other excursions. Two can ride along as we change hotels a couple days later too.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    Just a suggestion but could you list were the vehicles will be picking people up and when?

For example leaving Luxor Hotel May 17th 9AM. Returning to Vegas Airport May 21st.

BTW, I do need a ride but haven't figured out when I'm arriving/departing yet. I'll keep ya posted.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited January 20, 2006
    I can't decide whether to fly or drive...
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    I can't decide whether to fly or drive...

Tell me about it! lol3.gif That's a bi-daily discussion in this house. Diana thinks I'm nuts to attempt a drive there and back. I think she's flying and I'm driving. How's that for mixed up? ne_nau.gif
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    Tell me about it! lol3.gif That's a bi-daily discussion in this house. Diana thinks I'm nuts to attempt a drive there and back. I think she's flying and I'm driving. How's that for mixed up? ne_nau.gif

It's a two day drive. Maybe two and a half. And you know what, the scenery
    rulez! Except that it's super slab all the way...

I drove from SJC to ORD or more correctly, Darien with a buddy a few years
    back. 3 days with a trailer.
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    It's a two day drive. Maybe two and a half. And you know what, the scenery
    rulez! Except that it's super slab all the way...
    I drove from SJC to ORD or more correctly, Darien with a buddy a few years
    back. 3 days with a trailer.

Trailer. Ugh. Shoot me. No trailers for me (DavidTO has that market sewn up with the trailers). But driving my old Safari van up any decent hill in Colorado, will make it feel like it's towing something big. rolleyes1.gif

My neice graduates Sat. the 13th in Boulder. We're planning on going to that (and a good first real test for my 400 5.6 that I don't have yet). So We'll have a few more days to get uphill over to Bryce. I've been meaning to call Ruby's to see if there's a room available the night of the 16th I should probably get right on that, eh?, since I don't want to wake up at 5am and drive from elsewhere to meet all you nutballs at 10am. I'd rather have a decent snooze and breakfast first.

And yes, real nice scenery along the way. There's a rest stop a little west of Green River that will be seeing me pull up and unfold the tripod on the way back. Then there's Glenwood Springs. We love that place. Good bike trail along the river and, well, that pool! That'll make it four times there alone. Not a marathon trip this time.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    My neice graduates Sat. the 13th in Boulder. We're planning on going to that (and a good first real test for my 400 5.6 that I don't have yet).

Three words. Peak-to-Peak. Give that lens a workout.

And if you get the chance, go to NCAR. See a FLW building. That sucker
    just melts back into the hills. It's a beauty.

Ian
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    Just a suggestion but could you list were the vehicles will be picking people up and when?

For example leaving Luxor Hotel May 17th 9AM. Returning to Vegas Airport May 21st.

BTW, I do need a ride but haven't figured out when I'm arriving/departing yet. I'll keep ya posted.

Stay tuned, lots of time for that! Need to get volunteer renters lined up first.
  • Options
    CalfeeRiderCalfeeRider Registered Users Posts: 258 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Stay tuned, lots of time for that! Need to get volunteer renters lined up first.

Andy, I can take 5 including myself once we get to Bryce/Zion, but at this time I'm not planning on coming through LV that Tues so can't help with that leg of the journey. Not sure how much that helps you.

Jack
    Jack

http://www.SplendorousSojourns.com

Canon 1D Mk II N - Canon 5D - Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM - Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM - Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM - Canon EF 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2006
    Andy, I can take 5 including myself once we get to Bryce/Zion, but at this time I'm not planning on coming through LV that Tues so can't help with that leg of the journey. Not sure how much that helps you.

Jack

thumb.gif
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    w00t!

Okay, I'll have a 2005 toyota prius with room for 2 people with big bags or 3 people with little bags. I'll have it the whole shootout and I'll be headed to vegas to meet up for the post-shootout shenanigans. I'm not taking it for the post shootout though since I'll be in the RV.

Oh and I'm coming from the seattle area but it won't be a straight shot so if you want to ride from the NW, then be prepared to take another 3 or 4 days to get down there than normal. Photography all the way of course!
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2006
    Nik's and a post-shooters'
    Andy wrote:
    Here is where we'll keep track of cars. We're going to be sharing rental cars so please expect to contribute your share if you aren't a renter.

Reply to this post with your vehicle, and expected number of available seats.

Andy, please update the main post if you deem to..

Las Vegas - main event - St.George - post-shootout - St.George - Las Vegas.

As of now the vehicle will be rented from Las Vegas to St. George.
    1. Nikolai (renter)
    2. Doug "Kudbegud"
    3. Michiel de Brieder
    4. Mike Lane
    At this point I'm thinking of renting something like comphy AWD (e.g. Subaru Outback) with a lot of trunk space. If somebody want to join us and take the car from St.George to Las Vegas I can rent a bigger car, or a minivan (up to 7, I guess). We start Wed morning about 8:30 am from Las Vegas and coming back from Zion early morning Sunday. For more details please check the post-shootout thread.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited January 22, 2006
    Just a note for folks who are renting vehicles -

Most or all of the main roads in Bryce and Zion are paved, but many of the neatest areas in southern Utah are at the end of unpaved roads that are best travelled in vehicles with higher ground clearance and maybe with 4 WD.

Just a thought for folks thinking about renting smaller, lower vehicles. They should be fine for the parks, but if you want to do any exploring they may limit your choices.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    Hey folks. Im going to need a ride from Vegas on the 17th. Who would I talk to about that ?? headscratch.gif
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    Just a note for folks who are renting vehicles -

Most or all of the main roads in Bryce and Zion are paved, but many of the neatest areas in southern Utah are at the end of unpaved roads that are best travelled in vehicles with higher ground clearance and maybe with 4 WD.

Just a thought for folks thinking about renting smaller, lower vehicles. They should be fine for the parks, but if you want to do any exploring they may limit your choices.

Im not sure about the car thing yet if there is enough space or if I should rent. Is 4WD even needed? I'm thinking something like a 4 runner would be enough for the thursday to saturday shoot right? The other thing is for those not going on the post trip are most people leaving Saturday night or Sunday?
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    Hey guys. As I told Andy, I'm a Detroit, and I hate being a passenger. So I'll be renting. Right now I am planning on flying into vegas on the 16th, and flying out on the 21st. This isn't booked so I can change it. The vehicle I rent will depend on how many people will want to ride with me.

If your gonna need a ride let me know.

So we aren't too cramped I'm thinking no more than 5 passengers if I rent a minivan (or Ford Expedition Possibly), 3 for a car, 3/4 for an SUV (3rd row seating in most suv's suck).
    Tentative Riders:
    CWPhotos
    Bob Bell
    nwilkens
    Ann McRae
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    Dragon I would be willing to ride with you from vegas. I too am coming in on the 16th so that would work out well. Contact me via PM and we can talk if that works with you. clap.gif
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2006
    cwphotos wrote:
    Dragon I would be willing to ride with you from vegas. I too am coming in on the 16th so that would work out well. Contact me via PM and we can talk if that works with you. clap.gif

When are you leaving on the 21st? I am planning on flying in the night of the 16th and stay at the luxor. Im going to have 1 large suitcase and 1 camera backpack.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    When are you leaving on the 21st? I am planning on flying in the night of the 16th and stay at the luxor. Im going to have 1 large suitcase and 1 camera backpack.

I'm not quite sure yet. Prolly sometime between noon and 6pm. I'm not booking my flight for another two weeks so I'll be semi flexible on when I leave vegas on that day. I still have to figure out when we are all leaving the parks.

And there is still plenty of room in the vehicle if you want in. :)
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2006
    I'm not quite sure yet. Prolly sometime between noon and 6pm. I'm not booking my flight for another two weeks so I'll be semi flexible on when I leave vegas on that day. I still have to figure out when we are all leaving the parks.

And there is still plenty of room in the vehicle if you want in. :)

Well sign me up for your ride. :)
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    I'll be driving the minivan up from Thousand Oaks, by way of Aeronut and driving straight through on the 16th.

Will most likely have my wife with me (crossing my fingers) so I could fit some more folks in for driving around the parks. But not from Vegas.

I charge $3 for the first 1/4 mile, and $2.50 for each mile thereafter...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I'
    I charge $3 for the first 1/4 mile, and $2.50 for each mile thereafter...

Isn't that half of what New York cabbies charge?
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    I suppose I could hit vegas first. I'm doing the post shootout so I could haul someone around for the entire shootout if need be. Anyhow, if there's a couple of people that don't have transportation, I can probably help out. So Andy mark me as will stop in vegas if someone needs me to. Otherwise the parks will be my first stop.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2006
    I still have 2-3 open spots as of yet
    www.zxstudios.com