Options

Pocket Wizards and Nikon TTL

2»

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »
    Yes, but follow me here. The SU-800 is $250.00 and really is pretty much just a slightly more capable duplicate of your pop-up commander. For another $75.00 you could buy an SB-700 and have an additional speedlight. Which gives you more options???

Either way, you're still dealing with line-of-sight and bright light issues. I'm just saying that if you choose to stick with CLS and not go PW, you'd eventually say "Gee, I coulda had a V-8" if you buy an SU-800.
    Icebear... thanks for chiming in. Yeah, I'm not opposed to paying for Pocket Wizards if there isn't anything of equal quality. I just like to explore the various options before buying stuff simply for it's namesake. I try not to be brand-whore.

Here is where I'm at and I actually could use some help as I am not completely up to speed on remote trigger technology. I like Nikon's CLS system and the ability to shoot with TTL. It makes life easy most of the time for me. I love the fact that I can meter on my background and not worry too much about flash output; Nikon's system does a freaking awesome job of calibrating the flash power automatically.

With that said, I'm no stranger to shooting with manual flashes. I shoot my Alien Bees all the time and I have a pretty good understanding of how to work with flash manually. It just takes a bit more work at times. In my home studio, I don't mind because the environment doesn't change much. However, outdoors, where I am moving from location to location, it can be a pain. Now, I don't own an incident light meter. I guess life would get easier if I did and that's what I'm trying to decide.

Do I spend more money on wireless radio triggers that support Nikon TTL? Or do I get non-TTL triggers, for a bit less and invest in a light meter? Maybe I get neither and instead buy Nikon's flash commander unit? Will the flash commander give me more range and less line of sight and other issues than use my D700's pop-up flash as the commander?

Not sure at this point and would love to hear people's opinions.
    Duh. I understand what you're saying and yes, I would much prefer to spend a bit more and get another speedlight that some wonky thing that looks like a flash but isn't.

Does the SB700 have commander mode? The SB600 does not.

Yes! SB700 is a Commander if desired. BTW, the trick for triggers for me at least was this: I found out how much I had been serving the CLS versus having a trigger serve me. Once I got triggers I often found myself in varying positions for capture that I never could have accomplished while worried over the CLS-line of sight. Well worth the change! Admittedly, I'd rather have controls right at the camera/trigger versus going to individual flashes to change things... So better triggers may be what you need or would enjoy.
    tom wise
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2012
    OH... and do you know if TTL BL mode works with the Pocket Wizards

Yes
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2012
    some wonky thing that looks like a flash but isn't.

IMHO, the SU-800 is only sensible if you shoot with a D3, D4 type body that doesn't have a pop-up flash that you can use in commander mode. Even then, why not get an SB-700, SB-800, SB-900 or SB-910 that will also serve as a commander. Still, Pocket Wizards are my preferred method of controlling off-camera flashes.
    John :
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2012
    ian408 wrote: »
    The PW module for Sekonic meters just triggers the flash.

Ok, it does appear from this video though with the most recent light meter from Sekonic and probably the right PW meters and flashes you can remotely control power settings individually on a set of flashes.

See http://www.sekonic.com/Products/L-478DR/Overview.aspx.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited November 30, 2012
    Am I understanding this correctly?

Looks interesting and you're correct. Looks like this one has some built in control.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2012
    All sorts of good info here. I don't have much unique to add except that I prefer having all tt5's as opposed to a mini on top of the camera and the tt5's on the flash.

Reason is batteries - then they are all the same, and they are all AA's which I can get anywhere. I know you say it will never happen to you, (I did), but invariably I accidentally left the mini turned on, ran the battery down and then when out on a shoot didn't have a spare. Also, all my AA's are recharagable - much cheaper and environmentally better.

I'm sure there are other good options, but the TTL and high speed sync on the Nikon with the PW's (tt5's) is so darn well executed I'd easily recommend those.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2012
    This thread is awesome. Love all the information. Have learned a lot. Good to hear that the PW do support TTL BL. That's important since it's far superior to plain TTL on Nikon.

Steve... I would have the same preference as you as far as using all tt5's. I don't want to have to deal with non-standard batteries and I know for a fact I will leave the damn thing on and find myself in the same pinch you did. Besides, I have rechargeable AA's coming out of my ears ;-)

I'm learning about the Phottix Odin but the one thing I don't like is the transceiver unit. As far as I can tell, it eliminates the ability to mount a flash on the camera when used since it doesn't have a hotshoe. May be a deal breaker for me since I want that flexibility. It's looking like the PW's are going to be the ones I get.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2012
    I use 3 tt5s and use a SB 900 as the commander. Sometimes I use it as a flash, sometimes I don't. But it is sure nice to have it when you need it. The system works well blending in with my Einsteins that use the little PW antenna receivers. So in the end I use 4 remote lights and 1 on camera flash. All controlled on the back of my Nikon SB900. Pretty smooth. And for speedlight and light control it is fantastic. Still trying to figure out the remote camera control stuff with the PW. It has been hit and miss for me.
  • Options
    EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2012
    I just got the Phottix Odins for the D800, and so far they are fantastic! Perfect exposures, easy, and I'm sure I'd get the same results with PWs, but it may take a few more test shots and a bit more chimping to be ready.
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2012
    Zerodog wrote: »
    I use 3 tt5s and use a SB 900 as the commander. Sometimes I use it as a flash, sometimes I don't. But it is sure nice to have it when you need it. The system works well blending in with my Einsteins that use the little PW antenna receivers. So in the end I use 4 remote lights and 1 on camera flash. All controlled on the back of my Nikon SB900. Pretty smooth. And for speedlight and light control it is fantastic. Still trying to figure out the remote camera control stuff with the PW. It has been hit and miss for me.

It appears the PW A3C ZoneController would work with your tt5s, correct? See http://www.pocketwizard.com/products/transmitter_receiver/ac3%20zonecontroller/ If I could afford it would love to try this.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2012
    It appears the PW A3C ZoneController would work with your tt5s, correct?
    Yes, the AC3 works with the TT5s. It is an awesome little piece of electronic wizardry for $70. The most intuitive way to control my lights. I only use the SB910 to control off-camera lights when I want an on-camera light too, for some reason. The AC3 is so small and "unclunky."
    John :
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2012
    I do like the AC3. I just don't own one yet. So sometimes I feel like I am wasting my best speedlight using it to control other lights. I am just very used to the control on my 900. And sometimes while shooting decide you need just a little more light. With the flash already mounted it is easy to dial up a little more.