Options

Pocket Wizards and Nikon TTL

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited December 4, 2012 in Accessories
I shoot Nikon. I have an SB-900 and two SB-600 speedlights that I use for on location portrait work. I also have several Alien Bee heads that I use in my home studio. I currently trigger the Nikon speedlights with either the SB-900 or the pop-up flash on my D700. My Alien Bees I trigger with a cheap wireless trigger.

I'm running into issues with triggering my speedlights optically. Line of sight or distance limitations. I want to invest in some wireless triggers but I don't want to lose the TTL function of my speedlights. My first thought was Pocket Wizards only because everyone seems to use them. Don't know much about them. Are they compatible with TTL? Are there other brands/options?
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2012
    I use PW for my remote setups and they work flawlessly in TTL and HS sync and manual. Never had an issue (I have used them maybe dozen times in real life shoots though). I have the flex TT version fyi. the youngyuo (sp?) seem to be a cheaper and decent option I have HEARD
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2012
    Good info. Younuo? Never heard of them. Need to research.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2012
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2012
    Daniel, not sure I'm reading correctly but it looks like they only have triggers that support TTL on Canon. No TTL for Nikon.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2012
    I use Phottix Odin triggers, they do TTL and high speed sync but they're cheaper than pocket wizards. Had them for 6 months now and no problems with anything.
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2012
    I use Phottix Odin triggers, they do TTL and high speed sync but they're cheaper than pocket wizards. Had them for 6 months now and no problems with anything.

Can you use in camera controls to adjust power/ratios/etc. of each channel?

My Smug Site
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited November 26, 2012
    You might want to look at the PW FlexTT5 and the MiniTT5. These might could be of some interest in controlling TTL.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2012
    You do all the controls with an LCD on the back of the transmitter, there's a line for each group (A B and C), little +/- buttons to adjust power, and mode buttons to switch between ttl, manual or A:B ratio.
    I didn't think any of these triggers worked with the in camera menu, do pocketwizards do that?

One thing though is I believe the TTL pocketwizards have a hotshoe on the transmitter so you can put another flash on the camera as well if you so desire. The Phottix triggers do not have that.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    edited November 26, 2012
    Daniel, not sure I'm reading correctly but it looks like they only have triggers that support TTL on Canon. No TTL for Nikon.

http://www.yongnuostore.com/topic-yongnuo-flash-trigger-for-nikon/
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »

Ziggy... Am I losing it? None of those triggers say they support TTL. ne_nau.gif

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2012
    ian408 wrote: »
    You might want to look at the PW FlexTT5 and the MiniTT5. These might could be of some interest in controlling TTL.

Additionally, look at the AC3 ZoneController to give complete control over 3 zones from the position of the camera. These three products give you the ultimate in TTL control. A little pricey, but I don't think you'll find dissatisfied customers. (PocketWizard makes good stuff.)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Additionally, look at the AC3 ZoneController to give complete control over 3 zones from the position of the camera. These three products give you the ultimate in TTL control. A little pricey, but I don't think you'll find dissatisfied customers. (PocketWizard makes good stuff.)

The benefit of the PW's is they do support the Nikon TTL. And they will allow you to use Hypersync (better high speed sync).
  • Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2012
    For the PW Flex TTL, I recommend getting just the Flex and not the mini TT5, then they are all interchangeable.
    To adjust each group, you would need the AC3 that sits on top of the Flex on your camera, but when using the ac3, you cannot put a flash on top.
    The ac3 drains batteries from the flex, and the green flash on the flex suggests there is enough juice, but they will not have enough for the ac3, and then nothing fires. It took me a while to figure this out.
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2012
    Dee... maybe I misunderstood what I read on the BH Photo site but it sounds like you can control the ratio/power of each channel using the camera menu with the PW Flex. Am I correct?

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2012
    Ziggy... Am I losing it? None of those triggers say they support TTL. ne_nau.gif

You're correct. I don't see one yet either. I bet one is on the way and it should be called the YN-622N.

In the meantime, check out Phottix Odin and Pixel King sets for less expensive alternatives. (... compared to Pocket Wizard Flex/Mini.)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2012
    I am not sure if you can use commander mode with the flex or not. My understanding is you just leave your flash mode in normal setting, and put the flex on top, and the camera acts as if a flash is on top. I have never tried using the PW with the camera flash in commander mode. Now you have me thinking.
  • Options
    babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2012
    Hmm.. I've been using my Yongnuo RF603 on my SB900 with good success.
    It's probably not as good as TTL (in fact, manual control), but it's a fun and a great learning curve.

Simply.. adjust aperture/SS/ISO and set a power.
    It's good if you can deal with messing with it every now and then for changing lighting conditions outdoors.

I'll subscribe to see what you go with!

*edited!
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2012
    If you want to use Nikon's TTL, the Yongnuo won't work for you. Nikon's TTL works pretty well. The degree of control you're afforded using the whole Nikon flash system is really awesome.

If you just need to trigger the flash, the Yongnuo will work just fine.
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2012
    ian408 wrote: »
    If you want to use Nikon's TTL, the Yongnuo won't work for you. Nikon's TTL works pretty well. The degree of control you're afforded using the whole Nikon flash system is really awesome.

If you just need to trigger the flash, the Yongnuo will work just fine.

I want TTL because as you said, it's freaking awesome. I do pretty well triggering optically but I'd like to reduce or eliminate the frustration of situations where the flashes misfire.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2012
    Just keep in mind that TTL doesn't always work. But again, the PW route allows you full control over the flash.
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2012
    I am using an earlier version of Phottix and they are very good for manual mode, so this new release looks worth investigating.

One additional item to throw into the mix, from I understand, is the capability of using a Sekonic meter to adjust settings if you use a PW.

Perhaps somebody can jump in here and add to this point, because this is something I don't fully understand but sure would like to.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2012
    The PW module for Sekonic meters just triggers the flash.
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2012
    These look very promising. Doing research on them now. So far what I've read is that they work great.

http://www.pixelhk.com/Proshow.aspx?id=170

My Smug Site
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2012
    Alex, permit me to possibly step into MYOB territory here. You are a hell of a photographer who appreciates good gear that works all the time. Get the PW Flex system. Don't try to save a few bucks.

Mini TT1 is preferable on the camera for me 'cause it's smaller and lighter than the Flex TT5. I have the AC3 Zone controller, and it is WONDERFUL. Controlling up to three zones is stupid easy and totally intuitive. That being said, I also have an SB-910. Using the SB-910 to control up to FOUR zones is also pretty cool, if not quite so easy as the AC3. The fourth zone is obviously the on-camera SB-910. I have four Flex TT5s that I use with SB-600s. Yeah, the PW kit set me back a lot of $$$ but they always work, unless I've buggered something up, and when that happens, PW has awesome support. Who ya gonna call in Hong Kong when the knock-offs go crazy the day of an important shoot?
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2012
    Icebear... thanks for chiming in. Yeah, I'm not opposed to paying for Pocket Wizards if there isn't anything of equal quality. I just like to explore the various options before buying stuff simply for it's namesake. I try not to be brand-whore.

Here is where I'm at and I actually could use some help as I am not completely up to speed on remote trigger technology. I like Nikon's CLS system and the ability to shoot with TTL. It makes life easy most of the time for me. I love the fact that I can meter on my background and not worry too much about flash output; Nikon's system does a freaking awesome job of calibrating the flash power automatically.

With that said, I'm no stranger to shooting with manual flashes. I shoot my Alien Bees all the time and I have a pretty good understanding of how to work with flash manually. It just takes a bit more work at times. In my home studio, I don't mind because the environment doesn't change much. However, outdoors, where I am moving from location to location, it can be a pain. Now, I don't own an incident light meter. I guess life would get easier if I did and that's what I'm trying to decide.

Do I spend more money on wireless radio triggers that support Nikon TTL? Or do I get non-TTL triggers, for a bit less and invest in a light meter? Maybe I get neither and instead buy Nikon's flash commander unit? Will the flash commander give me more range and less line of sight and other issues than use my D700's pop-up flash as the commander?

Not sure at this point and would love to hear people's opinions.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2012
    The SU-800 is infrared, and should give you more range than the pop-up if used with the SG-31R infrared accessory. This little accessory is effective in preventing squinting by people with very quick reflexes who blink on the preflashes. The SU-800 would not have this problem. All that being said, if you already have an SB-900, why would you spend the money on an SU-800?

The SU-800 does not give better range than the SB-900 or the pop-up if not used with the SG-31R. It is just as line-of-sight as any light-based trigger.

I think you'd regret buying the SU-800. You don't need it.
    John :
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »
    The SU-800 is infrared, and should give you more range than the pop-up if used with the SG-31R infrared accessory. This little accessory is effective in preventing squinting by people with very quick reflexes who blink on the preflashes. The SU-800 would not have this problem. All that being said, if you already have an SB-900, why would you spend the money on an SU-800?

The SU-800 does not give better range than the SB-900 or the pop-up if not used with the SG-31R. It is just as line-of-sight as any light-based trigger.

I think you'd regret buying the SU-800. You don't need it.

Well, maybe I'm missing something but I would have to have the SB900 on the hotshoe or connected to the camera via a sync cord to use it in commander mode, no? I never shoot this way. headscratch.gif

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2012
    Well, maybe I'm missing something but I would have to have the SB900 on the hotshoe or connected to the camera via a sync cord to use it in commander mode, no? I never shoot this way. headscratch.gif

Yes, but follow me here. The SU-800 is $250.00 and really is pretty much just a slightly more capable duplicate of your pop-up commander. For another $75.00 you could buy an SB-700 and have an additional speedlight. Which gives you more options???

Either way, you're still dealing with line-of-sight and bright light issues. I'm just saying that if you choose to stick with CLS and not go PW, you'd eventually say "Gee, I coulda had a V-8" if you buy an SU-800.
    John :
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »
    Yes, but follow me here. The SU-800 is $250.00 and really is pretty much just a slightly more capable duplicate of your pop-up commander. For another $75.00 you could buy an SB-700 and have an additional speedlight. Which gives you more options???

Either way, you're still dealing with line-of-sight and bright light issues. I'm just saying that if you choose to stick with CLS and not go PW, you'd eventually say "Gee, I coulda had a V-8" if you buy an SU-800.

Duh. I understand what you're saying and yes, I would much prefer to spend a bit more and get another speedlight that some wonky thing that looks like a flash but isn't.

Does the SB700 have commander mode? The SB600 does not.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2012
    OH... and do you know if TTL BL mode works with the Pocket Wizards or is it just plain TTL?

My Smug Site