• Gear
  • Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Gear Cameras Missing warranty card!!! New Canon 5D Mark III without warranty card?

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 2  of  3
1 2 3
Old May-04-2012, 08:15 AM
Art Scott is offline Art Scott
Have PASSPORT will TRAVEL
Yes B&H have been Great with returns for me also...since the last 2 camera stores here do not stock anything much any longer and nothing of PROSUMER or Pro quality, I must purchase from the NET and B&H has done very well... 99.9% of my returns have been due to just not liking and item and just return it.... if I had been able to handle these items in store I would have known they qwere not going to work for me...and B&H has always been very nice about this fact and that has been the reason I give when I call them to return... normally when I return I just request store credit so I donot have to wait for refund....

Thanx B&H for the great customer service .....

A ZENFOLIO 10% Discount Coupon CODE - A8K-Q2K-VPG
Old May-04-2012, 10:08 AM
macwest is offline macwest
Big grins
CROOKS GET IT DIGITAL http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=41415062
Old May-04-2012, 09:06 PM
MntnKarie is offline MntnKarie
Big grins
Not every camera retailer is shady on ebay. PMI Digital is very good and is an authorized Canon retailer.
I have purchased a lot of equipment from them and they were excellent to deal with. You really have to do
your homework if you shop on the "bay". B&H is prime, but there are times when I have had to looks else
where for gear.
Old May-11-2012, 11:04 AM
Manfr3d is offline Manfr3d
Likes it bokehlicious!
You don't need a warranty card, you just need your purchase receipt to prove when you bought and that your lens is under warranty. I haven't been asked in 10 years for a warranty card when I send something in for free repair or checkup.
Old May-11-2012, 04:47 PM
paddler4 is offline paddler4
Major grins
I also have never been asked for a warranty card, but not receiving one would make me suspect that the merchandise was gray market, or worse.

Re B&H: I buy a lot from them but have only had to return things twice. Once, I simply ordered the wrong thing. The other time, something arrived damaged. In both cases, the customer service people were courteous and efficient, and the process was painless.

Re online ratings: I know nothing about the retailer in question, but I don't trust rating sites, because there are documented cases of retailers flooding sites with bogus reviews. There are lots of reputable, authorized dealers, both on the web and locally. I stick with them.
Old Jun-06-2012, 08:13 PM
haring is offline haring OP
Major grins
Henry,

I will only buy from you guys in the future!!!

Otto
Old Jun-07-2012, 05:43 AM
henryp is offline henryp
Henry Posner / B&H Photo
Quote:
I will only buy from you guys in the future!!!
I'm blushing. Thank you.
Old Jun-07-2012, 07:02 AM
guitstik is offline guitstik
Big grins
I personally buy from KEH but that is mostly because they are close to where I live.
Old Jun-11-2012, 03:34 AM
michaeln is offline michaeln
PhotoGeezer
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryp View Post
I am sorry you've developed a poor impression of any aspect of our business. If there's a specific issue I'd be happy to address it.
Henry, I have been a B&H customer for about 40 years now. I think my first purchase was an Olympus OM-1. During that time I have ordered many times, and every single transaction has been flawless.

You guys rock.

Michael
Old Jul-13-2012, 08:31 AM
macwest is offline macwest
Big grins
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=42002247
Old Jul-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Howard Barlow is offline Howard Barlow
Major grins
As said, no warranty card required: From http://law.justia.com/cfr/title16/16...71.0.45.7.html

Title 16: Commercial Practices
PART 700—INTERPRETATIONS OF MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY ACT

§ 700.7 Use of warranty registration cards.

(a) Under section 104(b)(1) of the Act a warrantor offering a full warranty may not impose on consumers any duty other than notification of a defect as a condition of securing remedy of the defect or malfunction, unless such additional duty can be demonstrated by the warrantor to be reasonable. Warrantors have in the past stipulated the return of a “warranty registration” or similar card. By “warranty registration card” the Commission means a card which must be returned by the consumer shortly after purchase of the product and which is stipulated or implied in the warranty to be a condition precedent to warranty coverage and performance.
(b) A requirement that the consumer return a warranty registration card or a similar notice as a condition of performance under a full warranty is an unreasonable duty. Thus, a provision such as, “This warranty is void unless the warranty registration card is returned to the warrantor” is not permissible in a full warranty, nor is it permissible to imply such a condition in a full warranty.
(c) This does not prohibit the use of such registration cards where a warrantor suggests use of the card as one possible means of proof of the date the product was purchased. For example, it is permissible to provide in a full warranty that a consumer may fill out and return a card to place on file proof of the date the product was purchased. Any such suggestion to the consumer must include notice that failure to return the card will not affect rights under the warranty, so long as the consumer can show in a reasonable manner the date the product was purchased. Nor does this interpretation prohibit a seller from obtaining from purchasers at the time of sale information requested by the warrantor.
Old Jul-13-2012, 10:58 AM
Wayupthere is offline Wayupthere
Former SemiPro Noob
Blows me away why anyone would by something worth that much if there was any doubt. Sounds like you are good to go anyway according to Henry.
That would cause me a few tense moments.
Also a big to B&H from me. Only one return..couldn't have been easier. Just sent them another sack of dough this morning.
Gary
Old Oct-13-2012, 03:46 PM
Major grins
I will buy from the authorized resellers for the future for sure. I have learned my lesson!
Old Oct-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Major grins
So far camera is working properly though! :)
Old Oct-13-2012, 08:46 PM
billythek is offline billythek
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by haring View Post
I have received my Canon 5D Mark III today without warranty card. I bought it from "getitdigital" off from ebay. They claim that it is brand new USA product with 1 year USA warranty.

I have called Canon and they say that I need both the receipt AND the warranty card to have warranty for the camera.

I have called the store but they told me that they will email me the warranty card... It sounds strange....

Did any of you guys had the same experience with any cameras? what should I do? Should send it back and ask for a refund?
Although I've never bought from them, they are a high volume seller on ebay with excellent feedback and resellerratings rates them good, as well. Seems if this were a common problem they wouldn't have as good of a rating. I have to admit, he other thread that was mentioned is a little disturbing. Of course there are sometimes more than one version of a story.

At any rate, hope you get your warranty issue settled. Personally, I've never actually had to use a warrantly on a camera, ever. But I know others have different experiences.
Old Oct-14-2012, 05:28 AM
Ed911 is offline Ed911
Major grins
I just looked at the getitdigtal website...and they are offering the 5D3 for $3000...$500 off of retail. That in itself should have thrown up red flags. How did they get the warranty card out of the box...if it's not there and why would they have warranty cards laying around?

I would think that B&H might be able to shed some light on this.

Does B&H take warranty cards out of the box...does B&H have extra warranty cards laying around encase a customer looses one? How about it Henry...

Ed

Last edited by Ed911; Oct-14-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old Oct-14-2012, 10:33 PM
billythek is offline billythek
Major grins
With respect, there is also at least the possibility that the warranty card was misplaced by the purchaser. Or perhaps somehow didn't get put in the box at the factory. Mistakes do happen. Since it has been established in an earlier comment that the card is not actually required, I'm not sure what the big deal is.

As for red flags, Adorama and Beach both recently sold the 5D3 for $2750 and $2800, so I don't see anything particularly unusual about the getitdigital sale at $3K. The Adorama & Beach cameras were new, with USA/Canada warranty, and were recent serial numbers (not the light-leak cameras, if you are curious).
Old Oct-15-2012, 03:32 AM
divamum is offline divamum
Major grins
those "flash sales" were the Adorama and Beach eBay stores FWIW - not sure how that affects mfr retail pricing agreements, but apparently it does.
Old Oct-15-2012, 05:41 AM
henryp is offline henryp
Henry Posner / B&H Photo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed911 View Post
Does B&H take warranty cards out of the box...
Nope. We don't open the box at all.

Quote:
does B&H have extra warranty cards laying around encase a customer looses one? How about it Henry...
We do not, and since you don't need a warranty card for warranty service there's really no need to do so.
Old Oct-16-2012, 04:29 AM
Ed911 is offline Ed911
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by billythek View Post
As for red flags, Adorama and Beach both recently sold the 5D3 for $2750 and $2800, so I don't see anything particularly unusual about the getitdigital sale at $3K. The Adorama & Beach cameras were new, with USA/Canada warranty, and were recent serial numbers (not the light-leak cameras, if you are curious).
Good to know...since I don't' actively search for pricing.

Thanks for your comments.

Ed
Page 2  of  3
1 2 3
Tell The World!