Options

No warranty card

T. BombadilT. Bombadil Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
edited April 1, 2012 in Cameras
How paranoid should I be?

I bought a Nikkor 70-200 2.8 VR II, which was just delivered. No warranty card in the box.

I have to say, I'm a little frustrated. I have waited a long time for this lens because I'm skittish about buying these things online - which is the only way I can get them (live to far out in the woods to have camera stores).

This lens came from a well-respected online store that also has brick&mortar locations (not even close to me).

My only other pro zoom (28-70) came from a different online retailer, and it seemed to have been a return that was sent back out (wasn't packaged as I expected, but was my first so :dunno ). It took me months to figure out that it has a serious back focus problem. Maybe straight from the factory that way, maybe somebody else figured it out within the return period and I didn't.

Is a missing warranty card a good indication that this 70-200 is somebody else's reject?

{edit: i forgot. i do have another pro zoom, 14-24. there weren't/aren't any issues with that one.)
Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
Looka looka koo la ley

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,810 moderator
    edited March 30, 2012
    Check with the retailer first. Then check with Nikon to see if a warranty card is included. Not all Nikon consumer products have warranty cards these days, so it may be perfectly OK.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Service-And-Support/Product-Support.page
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Check with the retailer first. Then check with Nikon to see if a warranty card is included. Not all Nikon consumer products have warranty cards these days, so it may be perfectly OK.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Service-And-Support/Product-Support.page

OK, Thanks Ziggy. I'll do that.
    Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
    Looka looka koo la ley
  • Options
    WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2012
    My 70-200 2.8 VR II had the card..I would be little nervous..
    Gary
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2012
    Wayupthere wrote: »
    My 70-200 2.8 VR II had the card..I would be little nervous..
    Gary

Well, after going to the Nikon site and confirming that a warranty card should be included with the 70-200, I went back, took the box apart completely, looked the lens case over thoroughly, and fanned the owners manual twice.

No sign of the card through all that, until (much later) I sat down to read the owners manual and found the card tucked inside. Now I'm a demonstrated fool. In my defense, the card (flimsy paper, as Nikon users know) was tucked in the manual very securely but not in such a way as to create a bulge or short "pages", with the yellow side down (toward the back) - so it was not at all apparent.

Anyway, I apologize. False alarm.

Maybe they want to be sure the manual gets read.
    Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
    Looka looka koo la ley
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,810 moderator
    edited April 1, 2012
    ... False alarm. ...

No biggee. I have whole years like that. :D

Do be sure to retain your receipts for the lens as well. Proof of purchase can be a determinant for some repair work (in-warranty vs out-of-warranty.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2012
    That's never happened to me...:lol
    Gary
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2012
    No biggee. I have whole years like that. :D

:-) Thanks Ziggy!
    Do be sure to retain your receipts for the lens as well. Proof of purchase can be a determinant for some repair work (in-warranty vs out-of-warranty.)

Will do.

Got a chance to try the lens out today. Off to a pretty good start - not nailing the focus as often as I would like, but I think that is my fault (haven't photographed a moving target since last fall, so gotta get back in the groove).
    Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
    Looka looka koo la ley