edited November 6, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    And the Trainny goes to.. Jim!!! clap.gif
    rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    61432638.jpg

Another from a couple years ago. I pretty much gave up train track shots a while back just because they tend to seem a little too "senior portrait cliche" to me... but I still get the occassional request from clients to shoot someone with a guitar walking on train tracks. ne_nau.gif

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    Oh my-- I'm literally starting to scare myself by looking at all my mediocre, poorly styled photos that I've shot along train tracks in the past! :D

I swear I've gone cold-turkey on this kind of cliche photo these days!

I think the bigger question is why are photographers-- especially newbies -- so drawn to train tracks?

56765405.jpg

64386677.jpg

64566125.jpg

I even once shot a fashion show on a moving train/streetcar!

66421175.jpg

• Options
    The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    Blaker wrote:
    Ok, I might be flamed for this , but I have to express how disturbed I am by the current trend of taking portraits on train tracks. Sure the final photo looks good, but it is still very dangerous and you are taking a huge risk whenever you do this. Even if you have the train schedule, there are times when unscheduled maintenance trains use the tracks, and if the wind is blowing the wrong way, you often can not hear the train until it is too late to move out of the way, especially if you are working with little kids.

That is another thing- even if you tell little kids not to play on the tracks, if you then bring them to a train track and have them play and pose for a while during the photo shoot, they will then, in their little minds, think that it is ok to play on the tracks- and this could end up in a huge tragedy.
    Also, if they see photos of others posed on train tracks, they will again think it must not be dangerous, and could end up with a tragic death or disfigurement.

I live in the northeast , and believe me, we still get news reports every now and then of people being hit by trains. It is not something to be taken lightly.

Anyone that gets hit by a oncoming train while standing, might be better off. If you can't see a train with a photographer looking one way and a model looking the other, then, how smart are you?
  • Options
    TonyLTonyL Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    And the Trainny goes to.. Jim!!! clap.gif
    150 ft in the air, man!
    The rest of us - tribal council tonight, somebody's going home:-)

Stand by me comes to mind when looking at Jim's Pics thumb.gif
    -Anthony

APL Photography || My Gear: Bunch of 4/3rds stuff
    Facebook: Friend / Fan || Twitter: @aplphoto
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2008
    Yay, I finally got my First Ever Train Tracks Portrait: :ivar

421955144_gT3CK-X2.jpg

a few more here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=112020
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Howard BarlowHoward Barlow Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    Yes there are rules,,,,,,,,,,,,,it's slanderous ...to call them vile names like "spoiled brat's" is horrible, and uncalled for.

Sam

But, what if it is true?
    You don’t pay me by the hour. You pay for the years of hard work that made it possible for me to paint such a picture in only one hour! Pablo Picasso
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    The Mack wrote:
    If you can't see a train with a photographer looking one way and a model looking the other, then, how smart are you?

I don't really believe in this. I know a few photographers who unintentionally blank out the world around them when their eye is in the viewfinder. You are watching the model, the viewfinder, the viewfinder readout, the decisive moment, a typical portrait focal length may narrow your field of view considerably, and if you pull your eye away it might only be to look at the other camera displays. It's so easy to get distracted for an extended period of time. I watch friends doing street photography and they get so tunnel-visioned in the viewfinder and unaware of their surroundings that I have to remind them where they are and to regularly look around them to see if there are unwanted bystanders a little too close to their camera bag and if maybe their equipment is still where they left it (sometimes it is not).

If I was to do train tracks there are quite a few local spurs that are used infrequently or not at all anymore. I would gravitate to those. I would be reluctant to shoot on one of the main lines. Every year people get hit. The only way I would shoot on a main line is with two additional undistracted friends looking both ways with minimum 15-second escape margins.
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Yay, I finally got my First Ever Train Tracks Portrait: :ivar

Welcome to the club, Nik. :D

• Options
    edited November 23, 2008
    106029748.jpg

Little more subtle with the train tracks here.

• Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
  • Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    Wow! This thread has taken a life of its own. :D I like the direction this is headed in. Maybe Nikolai has done some work on the tracks...
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2008
    dogwood wrote:
    Welcome to the club, Nik. :D
    Thanks! I'm getting more interest on this, so hopefully there will be more:-) mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2008
    Wow! This thread has taken a life of its own. :D I like the direction this is headed in. Maybe Nikolai has done some work on the tracks...
    I thought I just did rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    I thought I just did rolleyes1.gif

Very nice indeed! For some reason I suddenly want to be a train track when I grow up. :D
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2008
    jhelms wrote:
    Very nice indeed! For some reason I suddenly want to be a train track when I grow up. :D
    Trust me, you want to be my studio's loveseat, cause I sure do ...mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2008
    just be careful!
    in Bethlehem, PA by the old steel plant there are lots of active tracks. A Philly photographer was arrested because his model was nude, and it was seen by a cop across the river at a local park.

Keep the shots coming!clap.gif
    -Anthony

• Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    pics on a the tracks
    Another one bitten by the train tracks bug. Looks like we're getting an virus, and it's spreading fast! :-) rolleyes1.gif
    Nice pics!
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Another one bitten by the train tracks bug. Looks like we're getting an virus, and it's spreading fast! :-) rolleyes1.gif
    Nice pics!

Its like a runaway train wings.gif

sorry couldn't resist.
    -Anthony

• Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    360451858_JBqnF-L.jpg

360446150_S7Azi-L.jpg

I shot these before knowing the tracks were live. I will probably NOT shoot on them again at this location, not worth the chance of someone dying on their wedding day.

359704172_gRH3F-L.jpg

static displays are aok.

360276717_7jEvB-M.jpg

later in the evening we had a visit from the train, I almost had a heart attack finding out we were shooting on live tracks. I worked on a dinner train for 3 years while I was in and recently out of college. I have a healthy respect of trains and know the pain any accident has on the rail operator who has little to NO control of preventing an auto-train or train-person collision. Yeah train tracks are cool for photos, but never again on live ones.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    colourbox wrote:
    I don't really believe in this. I know a few photographers who unintentionally blank out the world around them when their eye is in the viewfinder.
    Try that as a sports photographer and you will get hurt very quickly. Motocross photography has got to be the most dangerous photography I've ever done, but you learn very quickly to NOT get tunnel vision, be aware of what is happening outside the camera. I almost got hit by three very large, heavy and fast moving high school football jocks once as well. Kart racing photography, that's another place to get yourself hurt. Ditto for full-size cars on a track racing around at high speeds. How about court-side at the NBA?

And yet we still photograph football, we still photograph motocross, and I'm about to photograph another car racing event next month.

You cannot, and SHOULD NOT, remove all risk from your life. You just have to properly manage it.

Someone else asked why we're drawn to train tracks. Personally I want to photograph a sports car and railroad tracks together. Its a "car on rails" type of thing for me. But that personally goes past my boundary for safety. Cars really can stall on train tracks and not re-start. Has to do, I've been told, with the trains creating a magnetic field on the rails that interferes with the ignition system. I could be wrong, but not willing to find out. ;)
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    matrix311matrix311 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Here are some of the photos I took recently on some train tracks and cars in the Phoenix area.

669857549_bcJtC-L.jpg

688722757_YWGhS-L.jpg

669878641_U6A4G-L.jpg

669866358_q67zv-L.jpg
    Eric Schlaht, Phoenix Arizona Photographerhttp://www.esimaging.net - http://esimaging.blogspot.com/

Canon 7D, Canon 40D, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/4L IS, 50mm f/1.8, 430EX
  • Options
    TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    matrix311 wrote:
    Here are some of the photos I took recently on some train tracks and cars in the Phoenix area.
    My my my, what a very large ubrella or soft box you have there. ;-) Excellent photographs.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • Options
    matrix311matrix311 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    My my my, what a very large ubrella or soft box you have there. ;-) Excellent photographs.

they were all shot with an on camera 430EX flash with a make shift reflector using fun foam. Thanks for the comments!
    Eric Schlaht, Phoenix Arizona Photographerhttp://www.esimaging.net - http://esimaging.blogspot.com/

Canon 7D, Canon 40D, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/4L IS, 50mm f/1.8, 430EX
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2009
    matrix311 wrote:
    they were all shot with an on camera 430EX flash with a make shift reflector using fun foam.

Nice shots-- and especially cool considering you used a fun foam modifier :D

• Options
    The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    colourbox wrote:
    I don't really believe in this. I know a few photographers who unintentionally blank out the world around them when their eye is in the viewfinder. You are watching the model, the viewfinder, the viewfinder readout, the decisive moment, a typical portrait focal length may narrow your field of view considerably, and if you pull your eye away it might only be to look at the other camera displays. It's so easy to get distracted for an extended period of time. I watch friends doing street photography and they get so tunnel-visioned in the viewfinder and unaware of their surroundings that I have to remind them where they are and to regularly look around them to see if there are unwanted bystanders a little too close to their camera bag and if maybe their equipment is still where they left it (sometimes it is not).

If I was to do train tracks there are quite a few local spurs that are used infrequently or not at all anymore. I would gravitate to those. I would be reluctant to shoot on one of the main lines. Every year people get hit. The only way I would shoot on a main line is with two additional undistracted friends looking both ways with minimum 15-second escape margins.
    Sorry, but I still don't buy it. It's a train. Thousands upon thousands of TONS of metal, it's not silent. Hell you can feel it in your feet.

There are no L angles on train tracks, there is always a way to see ahead no matter where you're looking (up or down the tracks)

Like I said, if you get hit by a train, you deserve it.