Options

Paint Shop Pro X2 - Canon CR2 & Raw Files

theNOIZtheNOIZ Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
edited August 19, 2008 in Finishing School
Dgrinners,

I'm looking for advice.

Paint Shop Pro X2 (PC) will open Canon's CR2 raw files without a problem. However, it doesn't have the option to save as a CR2 file.

What's my best option?

Save the files as .RAW? :dunno

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited August 18, 2008
    theNOIZ wrote:
    Dgrinners,
    I'm looking for advice.
    Paint Shop Pro X2 (PC) will open Canon's CR2 raw files without a problem. However, it doesn't have the option to save as a CR2 file.
    What's my best option?
    Save the files as .RAW? ne_nau.gif
    Thanks in advance.

Thank goodness it doesn't re-save as a .CR2 file. The reason is that people might accidently overwrite their original files and lose their original "digital negative." Paint Shop offers only very basic RAW support. With older versions it just never worked at all, so the fact they open at all is quite an improvement.

A RAW file (your original .CR2), by the way, is only an image editing starting point. A final edited file is never another RAW file, since RAW can't contain any edit information. It is merely the basic bits — 0's and 1's as they are recorded off the imaging chip, totally unedited or altered.

EDIT: I am using RAW as a generic term for any camera's proprietary file type. Canon calls it .CR2. Nikon's are .NEF files.

Is Paint Shop your only editor? If so, you do have the option of saving an edited image as an 8-bit .TIF or 16-bit .TIFF file, which are high quality and lossless. You can also save an image with layering in the proprietary Paint Shop file type, .JPEG or dozens of other file types. JPEG, while generally lossy, is the defacto display file type of pictures. It is also probably the last chain of file types your images end as. Always save the original RAW file (the unchanged .CR2) as you can always re-edit those as you and your software get better.

Since you mentioned .CR2, you should also have Canon Digital Photo Professional ("DPP") .CR2 editing software on your system or on a CD that came with your camera. It may need to be upgraded via the Canon website, as Canon is always improving it (although it isn't the most robust program on its own). DPP can save as 8 or 16 bit .TIFF types, or .JPEG's, or it can send an edited file directly to Photoshop (but not Paint Shop), if that is a possibility for you.

Now a question, what does Paint Shop's .RAW file type offer? I haven't used PSP since version 7.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    theNOIZ wrote:
    Dgrinners,

I'm looking for advice.

What's my best option?

Save the files as .RAW? ne_nau.gif

Thanks in advance.

PSP can save in native format (PSP), PSD (photoshop) or tiff. Any will do, it really depends on your future plans. If you plan on using PSP for some time to come, then just save in the native format, as it preserves layers and other project items. Tiff format is more universal, but it does not save edit info, layers, etc.

RAW format in PSP is NOT Camera Raw, it is a different format for graphics programs. easy to get confused, but it is not a photo raw format.

Save to PSP until you get the photo the way you like, then save as JPEG or TIFF
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    Psp X2 Raw
    David_S85 wrote:
    Now a question, what does Paint Shop's .RAW file type offer? I haven't used PSP since version 7.
    David,

Thanks for your help.

PSP X2 has come a long way and has become more powerful since Corel purchased the software from Jasc. I think I'm going to save my edits as .PSD because I like the option of using PSP or Adobe in the future. Now that I'm looking at some of the save options, a new HD Photo file type is now supported.

Oh, and to answer your question about the RAW options. You're right, they are really stripped down.

354604094_ivBry-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    Psp X2 Raw
    cmason wrote:
    PSP can save in native format (PSP), PSD (photoshop) or tiff. Any will do, it really depends on your future plans. If you plan on using PSP for some time to come, then just save in the native format, as it preserves layers and other project items. Tiff format is more universal, but it does not save edit info, layers, etc.

RAW format in PSP is NOT Camera Raw, it is a different format for graphics programs. easy to get confused, but it is not a photo raw format.

Save to PSP until you get the photo the way you like, then save as JPEG or TIFF
    Thanks for your response.

I'm going to take your suggestion and save as .PSD. I like using PSP for the time being, but there may be a future time where I want to make a switch to an Adobe product. Plus, I have PS Elements 6 installed, and it will load and save PSD files.

Your explanation of camera RAW vs. PSP Raw makes complete sense.
  • Options
    lucluc Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    You should use the PSP format when using text or vectors or gradients on the image. Not everything that PSP can do fits into the PSD format, meaning some adjustment will be converted into flat bitmap layers.
    theNOIZ wrote:
    Thanks for your response.

I'm going to take your suggestion and save as .PSD. I like using PSP for the time being, but there may be a future time where I want to make a switch to an Adobe product. Plus, I have PS Elements 6 installed, and it will load and save PSD files.

Your explanation of camera RAW vs. PSP Raw makes complete sense.