All About The Nest

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited March 16, 2006 in Wildlife
for Egrets in March.

60105307-L.jpg

60105300-L.jpg

60105309-L.jpg

60105303-L.jpg

Above, that is the same one as before, but I worked it up so that I like it better. I thought there was too much distraction before and that the birds were not prominent enough. This time the birds are the main focus, but the surroundings are still there, along with the reflection.

Below, shhhh, she is sleeping! I know, can't really see her, but I think it makes a "pretty" picture, and I can see her.

60105311-L.jpg

Ginger,

enjoy, comments, love them! Or just enjoy!
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    Excellent series of shots but since most of them have egrets in them how could they be anything but excellent. biggrinbounce2.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    Those are realy beautiful Ginger
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2006
    Thanks, Harry. Thanks, Thusie. I just woke up, yeah, it is late, but I was up late doing this!

I thought I should post them with Egret Fest, but they were the best egret shots I have from that day, so I wanted to give them their own spot. Bill is only off one day this weekend, so I don't know when I will go back out there. It is an enchanted place right now with all this lovin' goin' on.

Thanks again,

ginger
  • Options
    RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    Very nice Ginger, looking forward to seeing the babies!
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    I love that reflection Ginger... thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2006
    Rohirrim wrote:
    Very nice Ginger, looking forward to seeing the babies!

I am too, as I am sure they are, too. It is so peaceful and beautiful! Multiple babies! Love them! It is funny to think of all that "peace" changing. Smile.

ginger
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited March 16, 2006
    Excellent series. Good nesting shots are rare. I think you can even see an egg in the nest in the first photo.
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2006
    ehughes wrote:
    I love that reflection Ginger... thumb.gif

I love that shot, Ed. When I first saw it in the LCD, I loved it. I used the 70-200 quite a bit, after using the 400 for all the early shots. I got out my wide for the reflection, but it was too wide, so I broke out the 70-200, and that is what I used for that shot and lots of the later shots.

My backpack is just too heavy! After that experience I am going to order a belt so I can take the camera in with one lens on, my 400, and the other, the 70-200L (f2.8) in a case on the belt. Or vice versa. Cards can go in my pocket. And a spare battery. That is what I really need.

That shot was very time consuming to work up properly, but I am thrilled that I did it, as now I am quite happy with the egrets. (I used a graduated filter, darkened the whole area, then magnified the egrets and took that "layer" off of them.....that was time consuming changing brush sizes and getting them "just so".).

Thanks for stopping and commenting, Ed. I am thrilled that you like that shot!

ginger (I would like to go back and concentrate on trying to find some more small birds while the folliage is still spare)
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2006
    kdog wrote:
    Excellent series. Good nesting shots are rare. I think you can even see an egg in the nest in the first photo.

Thanks, Dog! That nest is the closest one to me, so hopefully I will be able to watch it all season.

What looks like an egg is a shell. I was going to clone it out, saw that it was a shell, debated with myself, but decided to leave it in as one of life's little imperfections. I can always clone it out if it became too distracting to me. It is curious as to how it got there?

Last year I watched as one of the birds laid an egg right about in that area. The light wasn't as good, or I wasn't, smile, but I still have that shot. The problem is, though, they build those nests up, so the eggs might be there, but they are nicely hidden.

ginger
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited March 16, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    The problem is, though, they build those nests up, so the eggs might be there, but they are nicely hidden.

So climb a tree! Come on, woman. Get the shot!!! lol3.gif
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    Well done Ginger
    Is that an egg there in the 1st shot thumb.gif
  • Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    Nice series Ginger. That's some nest they have there. Lots of nooky in the rooky lately ....so I've been told. :uhoh
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    Loved the ones of the two in the nest, nice symetry and sharpness, very NICE !
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    I like the framed shot the best --very nice even with the egrets rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif:D nice work G
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/