Options

sharpness

BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited July 27, 2015 in People
Good morning,
Got a problem lately trying to have my pics super sharp whenever shooting couples .
Im using a 24-70 2.8 Sigma lens with 7D Canon.

Trying to shoot above f8 using spot focus...but its not always possible.
Im using lightroom 5 but would like my pictures to be super sharp SOC.

http://www.bountyphotographie.com/Clients/Tiffany-Kevin-wedding#!/i-mfv4Gdd

I wish I had a DSLR with faces regonition like my friend has in his cheap point and shoot camera

Help me out please

thank you

Profilers
:photo

Comments

• Options
    DKellyCDKellyC Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited July 27, 2015
    Your link requires a password!
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2015
    ramona is the password

tell me if you can see the camera 's info.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2015
    PW is not working. Please go ahead and show the image instead of linking to it.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2015
    Just removed the password try again.

Basically when I do spot focus on a model the other model which is next to the first one isnt ALWAYS sharp. In this case engagement models

Thank you for any help.

thinking about f stop, focus (spot,expension, AF......)shutter speed, ISO........lens ????camera set up
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2015
    Let's have a starting point. Generally what ISO, f stop, shutter speed were you using? Any fill flash and what camera mode if using flash.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2015
    So I really don't see the issue you are worried about. The faces don't seem tack sharp to me but they are equally not sharp or sharp. The faces in general seem to be in similar focal planes and f/8 is plenty plenty of in terms of DOF. The ladies face does seem to have some higher contrast which might APPEAR to be focus issue but the guys face is just a bit pale and just does not have so much contrast to begin with. btw I assume you scot focused on a face..not the bodies right?

Ok that said..I have to give you critique that you didn't ask for! =)

1) see some of those shots where the faces are muddled by the light through the tree leaves..you get patches of light and shadow ? This is called mottled or dappled light..this is has to be avoided at all costs. It will ruin these kinds of shots instantly. You have to find completely shaded areas (preferably) or completely unshaded areas.
    2) exposure can be upped about 2/3 to 1 full stop in just about every shot. It is overall too dark.
    3) f/8 is great for street or landscape..not for people shooting. In general f/4 is plenty of DOF for 2 people close to each other and will give the couple some isolation from the BG. Right now much of the BG is in too much focus which detracts the eyes from the main focal point...the couple.
    4) lastly, this is matter of taste but the you are surrounded by a lot of green and I think the sky was pretty blue as well. What I am seeing is a green and sometimes cool cast on many of your shots..you may want to change the tint slider to the magenta just a touch to get rid of the green and overall warm up the shots by 200-300 kelvin to get rid of the blue-ish cast.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2015
    Right you are about the guys face which lacks of contrast therefore will be tough to focus as well as the women I think this is what I was asking for .Yes spot on the face.
    I saw the muddled face but decided to go ahead anyway eventhough I choose that place just to avoid it ..I know it doesnt make sense.
    Now that you mentioned it it does look a bit too dark, I didnt pay too much attention because they loved the pictures ????

Point all well taken thanks.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2015
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Let's have a starting point. Generally what ISO, f stop, shutter speed were you using? Any fill flash and what camera mode if using flash.

Hackbone
    auto ISO (just started using it instead of adjusting it all the time }
    I usually used AV but somehow ended up using P mode ????
    It looks like it was f4 - f5.6 1/60
    No flash at all (they didnt want flash )
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2015
    One factor might be the shutter speed. You need to be steady at that speed. A general rule is to use a shutter speed twice the lens your using. Ex if using a 50 mm lens your shutter should be 100, etc. there are other factors that could be coming into play but I would start there.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2015
    Can you give us original size? Also might be helpful to remove or put a small watermark at the bottom of the page.

Sam
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2015
    Ok it looks like I broke most of the rule that I learned years ago and am relearning the heard way.
    Thanks

I have another shooting this coming week-end Ill try to adjust my skills.

Thank you
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2015
    Sam wrote: »
    Can you give us original size? Also might be helpful to remove or put a small watermark at the bottom of the page.

Sam

Tonight
    OK

By the way how do I post a picture on this site instead of a link?
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,241 moderator
    edited July 27, 2015
    By the way how do I post a picture on this site instead of a link?
    In the FAQs in Dgrin Forum Support, click to see How to Embed an Image in Your Post.

--- Denise
  • Options
    trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2015
    I don't see the (lack of) sharpness being the issue...I think other aspects of the photos (framing, composition, exposure, depth of field, etc) need more help.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2015
    Since sharpness is not a issue Ill stop right there.
    As far as other issues are concerned Ill try to work on it because I can do much better.
    However when I looked at the website from people giving me advice I saw quite a few similar issues that I have made so Im wondering if its better to judge other than ourself headscratch.gifscratchheadscratch.gif

Thank you all for the comments