Options

Testing my "reflexes"

alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
edited February 7, 2015 in People
Dear all,
this my third post in this forum. I started photography two years ago and I am trying to improve my skills in photography. The set I am presenting today it was shot with a small digital camera with no hot shoe (and not flash external unit). Since I am trying to always find a "main theme" for my exercises this work can go under the title

"Shooting with available light when using one small head reflector".
This forum is for advanced critique and I can still see that I do not have the skills and the level of most of you but if I want to progress I need to go out and try to understand how bad I am (that can turn a great motivation for me).

This time I would be commenting directly on my shots so you can see how my "reflexes" work and comment on both the shot and what I feel about it. At the same time I would try to see what I have to pick up for delivering to my "client" (there is no real client in this example but mostly I want to see how good I can do in such task).

If you still do not see what I am doing here is that I am doing an "exercise" and going back to the pros to get my grade.

Ready?

i-7XG4gfb-L.jpg
I like the eye contact but his face has a bit the "what the f?ck feeling"... I am not sure though if I should deliver it to the customer. Customer might like it though as it as it can also have a bit funny interpretation.

i-mp8bk68-L.jpg
Hm... the lights on the background compete with attention with my subject. I also do not like is undefined neck line... I guess though that a customer might still want to have this shot to his list.

i-7cXqXf3-L.jpg
I like the natural expressions shots and this was the time my subject has started laughing after feeling awkard after some time. To be honest, even that the face does not show its best this shot should be delivered to the "customer".

i-6zRgMXX-L.jpg
What I like in this shot, is that reveals something of the person's character. He is a thinker in his real life.. This is of the times I can not comment more in one of my shots..

i-kSnVK8H-L.jpg
I like the mood.. I am not sure when it works the subject to not have lens contact and when it works. Your take? I would keep it though in my delivery list to the "customer". I think this is the best shot in this set.

i-cm6vh44-L.jpg
I like that my subject looks at ease but I am not sure though if I should have pushed it for eye contact... I think I was afraid to loose this calm feeling when I would ask my subject to look at my lens.

i-pJx7Dxd-L.jpg
I like the eye contact.. That photo should be delivered to the customer... The jaw line bothers me but anyway..

i-hmmwp5F-L.jpg
What about side shooting a face? I am not sure when this looks good or not. To be honest I like this shot but I also "see" that there is room for improvement. I am not sure though how.... Tough one

i-nrGTnB7-L.jpg
Different clothing different look.. Again I have the same problem as above. I like the shot.. I see it can be improved I do not know though where to go

i-BpdxSbh-L.jpg
Hm... I think in this one there is not much separation between my subject and the background... Again same problem as above.

That is it for now. Feel free to give harsh critique
Alex

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2015
    1. Rule of thirds - USE it! Particularly the eyes - get them at or above the upper line.
    2. Don't chop off chins. There are very, very few circumstances where that works. Shoot a little wider - you can always crop in post if you want a closer shot.
    3. ENGAGE!! Do you talk to your subject... and I mean constantly? Laugh, joke get them connecting with you which, ultimately, will be connecting through the lens. Eyes away is fine for some shots, but I don't feel like he's really connected with you in any of these except 1 & 7, where it feels a bit forced.
    4. While your scientific and methodical approach is good, don't forget to HAVE FUN! Photography is as much social event as it is art or science, and a subject (and photographer!) having a good time will come across in the shots. It's that human thing - let it shine :)

PS I absolutely LOVE the background and bokeh in #2 - with improved comp and more connection with the subject that setup could make a KILLER shot.
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2015
    I think the things you critique like backgrounds, chin lines etc are totally missing the point. Your backgrounds are nice and you have enough DOF they are not distracting.

The biggest problem is you are forgetting the number one reason why to take portraits and that is capturing your subject. In every one of your portraits the subjects eyes look dead and their personalities look wooden. It seems to me you are overdirecting, obsessing over each little detail and your subjects become stiff because of it. At first I thought it may have been an isolated case but it isn't. It happens in all your sessions. If that is what you are going for then you are achieving it. If you are trying to capture their personalities then you are not succeeding. The look and feel I am getting from the subjects is like what happens with kids on family sessions when mom and dad get behind me trying to get the kids to perform. They freeze because there are so many people competing for their attentions. This looks more like a study of face shapes than one of the person. You could get a mannequin and it would feel the same.

It seems to me you are trying to mimic a certain look but don't understand the reasoning behind the look. If you tell us what style you are trying to achieve or give samples of the look you want we can better help you. I think the biggest area you can improve on is creating a comfortable environment. I give direction and pose ideas to subjects but it is usually a starting point and they make it their own after that. If they want to climb trees, lay in the grass, or sit on a bench I let them because that brings out their personalities. Observing their body language and how they stand naturally while not shooting can go a long way to creating a natural look.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2015
    divamum wrote: »
    1. Rule of thirds - USE it! Particularly the eyes - get them at or above the upper line.
    2. Don't chop off chins. There are very, very few circumstances where that works. Shoot a little wider - you can always crop in post if you want a closer shot.
    3. ENGAGE!! Do you talk to your subject... and I mean constantly? Laugh, joke get them connecting with you which, ultimately, will be connecting through the lens. Eyes away is fine for some shots, but I don't feel like he's really connected with you in any of these except 1 & 7, where it feels a bit forced.
    4. While your scientific and methodical approach is good, don't forget to HAVE FUN! Photography is as much social event as it is art or science, and a subject (and photographer!) having a good time will come across in the shots. It's that human thing - let it shine :)

PS I absolutely LOVE the background and bokeh in #2 - with improved comp and more connection with the subject that setup could make a KILLER shot.

Hi ,
    I would like to thank both for your answers!
    Regarding the 3.... do you have any examples on that? That is an art of itself. Connect with someone that you do not know in 5 minutes? Any ideas how you started? What you tried at your first professional "appointment"? What failed? How you have progressed? I guess that can not be teached that simply but there should be some simpler steps to follow

Regards
    Alex
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2015
    alaios wrote: »
    Hi ,
    Regarding the 3.... do you have any examples on that? That is an art of itself. Connect with someone that you do not know in 5 minutes? Any ideas how you started? What you tried at your first professional "appointment"? What failed? How you have progressed? I guess that can not be teached that simply but there should be some simpler steps to follow

Regards
    Alex
    Hi Alex... I am by no means a good photographer... I'm still learning like you. I understand what you mean about getting to know your subject in five mins :D Do you use a tripod? I always found in the beginning that to be away from the camera sometimes with a remote and talk to the subject.. ask him about his work, family, hobbies..there'll be something he'll react to hopefully... don't let him know when you are "clicking" let him think sometimes he's "getting ready" to have his picture taken when you are actually taking shots. Look him in the eyes if you can and ask him questions.. even make him blush a bit?? Now I'm rambling rolleyes1.gif this is just my humble opinion... (wish it were that easy) keep at it.. you'll get there.thumb.gif p.s. I think shot number 3 would have been a good one if he'd been looking at you.
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2015
    alaios wrote: »
    Hi ,

Regards
    Alex

Try to be more outgoing with people in general. It will come naturally. Some get the skill, some don't. Your question cannot be answered with a step-by-step process.

I think this may be your biggest problem. You are so focused on the technical that it doesn't flow freely. I see that even wiith your critiques of others works. You pick apart the technicals but miss the overall feeling of the photograph. Yes technical stuff is important but there comes a time when it needs to be instinctive. IF you treat it as a by the numbers process your subjects are also going to treat it by the numbers.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2015
    Agree 100% with what John says - you are being WAY too much a scientist instead of a person!! Technique is good, but it is a means to an end, not the end itself.

Why five minutes - are you shooting strangers? ne_nau.gif Just... talk. "Hi, how are you? How's the family? Where do you work? Do you like to ski/skateboard/jog/workout/hike/trampoline/climb mountains/swim/sail/whatever? What are you doing this weekend?" Just like you would ANYBODY you meet. IMagine chatting with somebody as you wait to board an airplaine, or in the elevator or just about anywhere there is human interaction. It doesn't have to be complicated, just CONNECTED.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2015
    Hi guys,
    thanks for keeping the discussion alive :) I think one of my concerns is when I would cross others "comfort zone".

"Why asking me about my family?"
    "I did not hire you to ask me what is my favorite time?"

these are the type of answers that I am mostly afraid to not here. When I am working with same gender I always feel more confortable giving complements. With women I always think that something might make her feel unease.

Regards
    Alex