Options

Show Us Your New SmugMug Customized Sites!

Comments

• Options
    JeffC230JeffC230 Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2014
    essex1970 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, just stopping by to say you got beautiful website out there! great job all!
    Seb.

Who is this for?? me?!?! haha
    Jeff K.
    Newbie in Action
    http://www.photospaced.com
  • Options
    ko04ko04 Registered Users Posts: 370 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2014
    ko04 wrote: »
    I am doing a new design for my website and I would like to ask all of you to help me out and go to my current website. I want to know if this was your website what you'd change about it or add to it. Any advice or comments are welcomed here is the site www.k-ophotography.com

Just wanted to see if anyone else had any thoughts?
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2014
    Just wanted to see if anyone else had any thoughts?

I'm beginning to think that posting feedback on this thread is pointless. Sadly if you (or I) would start a new thread, the mods will move it here (it's happened before). rolleyes1.gif

Anyway here's my 2-pennies...

I like to see some type of "feedback" when I hover a link....like your nav. Changing the color or opacity...just something.

On your 'Bio' page, the three social icons above the Bio title isn't centered.

Not sure I care for the right-justified galleries on your 'Fine Art' and 'Wedding & Portrait' pages.

Just noticed when I hover over a link in your nav bar, I see a blue triangle on the very bottom of the page. I'm thinking this isn't planned. Are you trying to match your blog nav to your SM? If so, you'll have to do a custom nav, just like I did. :D
  • Options
    deMichelledeMichelle Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 8, 2014
    Wow so many awesome sites out there. This is my first post and first SM site, so go easy on me. headscratch.gif It's still early but here it is. www.photographydemichelle.com. I still have more photos to upload and revisions but you can get the jist. I'm not liking the homepage just yet. It just doesn't wow me.

I love the image round corners and shadow affect of other sites and thanks to those who provided their code. I still need to figure out how to apply it.
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2014
    I'm beginning to think that posting feedback on this thread is pointless. Sadly if you (or I) would start a new thread, the mods will move it here (it's happened before). rolleyes1.gif

Anyway here's my 2-pennies...

I like to see some type of "feedback" when I hover a link....like your nav. Changing the color or opacity...just something.

On your 'Bio' page, the three social icons above the Bio title isn't centered.

Not sure I care for the right-justified galleries on your 'Fine Art' and 'Wedding & Portrait' pages.

Just noticed when I hover over a link in your nav bar, I see a blue triangle on the very bottom of the page. I'm thinking this isn't planned. Are you trying to match your blog nav to your SM? If so, you'll have to do a custom nav, just like I did. :D

Mike,
    Yeah I do notice sometimes its hard to get feedback but its okay when I do its always appreciated. Thanks for your feedback here's my thoughts to your response:
    "Chaining the color or opacity":
    This is something I will for sure consider with the new layout. May I ask why it is you would like to see it do that. Is there a logical reason for it or just to please your eye's.

"'Bio' page, the three social icons above the Bio title isn't centered":
    Thanks for letting me know about that. I may or may not have that on my next Bio page anyways but thank you for letting me know.

"right-justified galleries":
    I believe this is a coding issue because they should be centered. Do you mind me asking what browser you are using.

"Hove over a link in your nav bar, I see a blue triangle on very bottom of page":
    Definitely not planned I don't know enough about coding so I got this code from a css nav bar generator website. To be honest I wouldn't even being to know how to fix that. In order to fix this issue and further issue's with my nav bar since I've had my far share of them I am considering just using the one that SM provides us. I rather us a custom nav bar because I think it looks better but like I said I don't know enough about coding to make it work correctly(obviously haha). Also yes and no to "trying to match you blog nav to your SM". Really its the other way around I'm trying to match the nav bar I have in my SM site to my blog. Either way though I'm sure your comment still applies.
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2014
    deMichelle wrote: »
    Wow so many awesome sites out there. This is my first post and first SM site, so go easy on me. headscratch.gif It's still early but here it is. www.photographydemichelle.com. I still have more photos to upload and revisions but you can get the jist. I'm not liking the homepage just yet. It just doesn't wow me.

I love the image round corners and shadow affect of other sites and thanks to those who provided their code. I still need to figure out how to apply it.

Overall I think its a great start. I love the color's and I like the layout you use in the community support and session information part. As far as how to add rounded corners your right we have some amazing people on here that love to learn new tricks and share them with all of its great to have such a great community willing to help. This isn't really the place to share how to do something but I'm going to do it anyways. This is the code I use for all things rounded corners on my site:
    /* Round images displayed in the Lightbox */
    .sm-lightbox-image {
        border-radius:8px;
    }
    /* Round the main image inside SmugMug-style galleries */
    .sm-gallery-image .sm-tile {
        overflow:hidden;
    }
    /* Round thumbnails for folders, pages and galleries*/
    .sm-page-widget-folders .sm-tile, 
    .sm-page-widget-galleries .sm-tile,
    .sm-page-widget-nodes .sm-tile,
    .sm-page-widget-pages .sm-tile {
      border-radius: 8px;
      overflow: hidden;
    }
    /* Round thumbnails inside SmugMug-style galleries */
    .sm-gallery-tiles .sm-tile, .sm-gallery-tiles .sm-tile .sm-tile-overlay {
    }

To add that I went to Customize Site>Click on All Galleries>Add a CSS Block to your gallery>Paste whatever code you want to use for rounded corners. I am not as experienced with coding and customizing as a lot of the people in here are but I'm pretty sure that will do the trick. I'd suggest to ask any questions you have in a new form if I see you post I'd be more thing willing to help in any way I can. Hope that gets you started though. Keep up the good work.
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2014
    "Chaining the color or opacity":
    This is something I will for sure consider with the new layout. May I ask why it is you would like to see it do that. Is there a logical reason for it or just to please your eye's.
    It's just my personal preference when I hover a link (text or image) I just like to see a color change or an opacity change.

"right-justified galleries":
    I believe this is a coding issue because they should be centered. Do you mind me asking what browser you are using.
    I checked it on my old XP using the latest Firefox and Chrome. Both show right-justified. I only have IE8, and I don't even bother trying to update my site using older browsers.
    "Hove over a link in your nav bar, I see a blue triangle on very bottom of page":
    Definitely not planned I don't know enough about coding so I got this code from a css nav bar generator website. To be honest I wouldn't even being to know how to fix that. In order to fix this issue and further issue's with my nav bar since I've had my far share of them I am considering just using the one that SM provides us. I rather us a custom nav bar because I think it looks better but like I said I don't know enough about coding to make it work correctly(obviously haha). Also yes and no to "trying to match you blog nav to your SM". Really its the other way around I'm trying to match the nav bar I have in my SM site to my blog. Either way though I'm sure your comment still applies.
    I noticed Chrome shows the correct nav "decorations" similar to your blog.
  • Options
    deMichelledeMichelle Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 8, 2014
    Overall I think its a great start. I love the color's and I like the layout you use in the community support and session information part. As far as how to add rounded corners your right we have some amazing people on here that love to learn new tricks and share them with all of its great to have such a great community willing to help. This isn't really the place to share how to do something but I'm going to do it anyways. This is the code I use for all things rounded corners on my site:
    /* Round images displayed in the Lightbox */
    .sm-lightbox-image {
    }
    /* Round the main image inside SmugMug-style galleries */
    .sm-gallery-image .sm-tile {
    }
    /* Round thumbnails for folders, pages and galleries*/
    .sm-page-widget-folders .sm-tile, 
    .sm-page-widget-galleries .sm-tile,
    .sm-page-widget-nodes .sm-tile,
    .sm-page-widget-pages .sm-tile {
      border-radius: 8px;
      overflow: hidden;
    }
    /* Round thumbnails inside SmugMug-style galleries */
    .sm-gallery-tiles .sm-tile, .sm-gallery-tiles .sm-tile .sm-tile-overlay {
    }

To add that I went to Customize Site>Click on All Galleries>Add a CSS Block to your gallery>Paste whatever code you want to use for rounded corners. I am not as experienced with coding and customizing as a lot of the people in here are but I'm pretty sure that will do the trick. I'd suggest to ask any questions you have in a new form if I see you post I'd be more thing willing to help in any way I can. Hope that gets you started though. Keep up the good work.

Thanks KO, I applied it this evening. very cool.
  • Options
    dualcoastdualcoast Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 14, 2014
    Hello, I have finally migrated my site over from Legacy. It is still a work in progress but I think it is time I seek out some feedback. Surely there are improvements to be made that I cant see as I have been looking at it for far too long.

I would appreciate your constructive comments.Thanks
    Tracy
    www.tracyshubin.com
  • Options
    RobLoudRobLoud Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited March 16, 2014
    Hello Everyone.
    I am fairly new to digital photography and have had my Smugmug site since around October last year. I have used some of the various CSS codes and tips supplied by the members on here, so I thought it was about time I showed my site. Please feel free to pick it to pieces and let me know how and where it can be improved.

Thanks
    Robin

www.kingswoodphotography.co.uk
  • Options
    tomoscotttomoscott Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2014
    RobLoud wrote: »
    Hello Everyone.
    I am fairly new to digital photography and have had my Smugmug site since around October last year. I have used some of the various CSS codes and tips supplied by the members on here, so I thought it was about time I showed my site. Please feel free to pick it to pieces and let me know how and where it can be improved.

Thanks
    Robin

Overall, I think you've done a good job. I have to say, though, I'm not a big fan of the neon green. It looks especially bad on the watermarks on your B&W images.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2014
    dualcoast wrote: »
    Hello, I have finally migrated my site over from Legacy. It is still a work in progress but I think it is time I seek out some feedback. Surely there are improvements to be made that I cant see as I have been looking at it for far too long.

I would appreciate your constructive comments.Thanks
    Tracy
    www.tracyshubin.com

Site looks good, but I would go through your client galleries one by one and make sure each one has a password. Some of them don't. If I were one of your clients, particularly if I had kids, I wouldn't want everyone on the internet to have access to those images.

I would also make sure you have written permission from parents to include images of kids on the Photo Booth page.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2014
    tomoscott wrote: »
    Overall, I think you've done a good job. I have to say, though, I'm not a big fan of the neon green. It looks especially bad on the watermarks on your B&W images.

Hi Tomoscott, Thanks for the reply. Yes I'm quite sure that the green is not to everyone's taste, but I wanted a colour that stood out and was different. If I get more comments about the the colour though, I will definitely look at changing it. thumb.gif

Thanks
    Robin
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
    edited March 17, 2014
    I have to agree with tomoscott that the neon green is jarring. I also find my eyes drawn to the background pattern and to the ads. Neither is helping me pay attention to your photos.

Also - why are the links in your menu underlined?

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2014
    Hello Everyone.

Thanks
    Robin

Wasnt neon green the old Smugmug default color? Unlike them, I dont mind it to be honest. It does POP a bit. However, Denise is right, that background is doing nothing good and neither are the ads. I barely got through a gallery before coming back here. =(
    Jeff K.
    Newbie in Action
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2014
    I have to agree with tomoscott that the neon green is jarring. I also find my eyes drawn to the background pattern and to the ads. Neither is helping me pay attention to your photos.

--- Denise

Hi Denise, your comments are very much appreciated.
    I will look at removing the background images and changing the colour scheme later when I get home.

As for the underlined links, I thought it was a good idea at the time, but your probably right and I'll remove those as well........ If I can find the CSS.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2014
    JeffC230 wrote: »
    Wasnt neon green the old Smugmug default color? Unlike them, I dont mind it to be honest. It does POP a bit. However, Denise is right, that background is doing nothing good and neither are the ads. I barely got through a gallery before coming back here. =(

Hi Jeff, thanks for your comments. Please see the reply post above to Denise.

I will also look at removing most of the ads as well, as I agree that they make you loose focus.

Thanks
    Robin
  • Options
    dualcoastdualcoast Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 17, 2014
    tomoscott wrote: »
    Site looks good, but I would go through your client galleries one by one and make sure each one has a password. Some of them don't. If I were one of your clients, particularly if I had kids, I wouldn't want everyone on the internet to have access to those images.

I would also make sure you have written permission from parents to include images of kids on the Photo Booth page.

Thanks for the suggestions and for taking the time to look. I will go back through and check it out.
  • Options
    Eric_RoussetEric_Rousset Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 17, 2014
    Hello folks,

Here's my new SmugMug site, check it out there :

http://www.ericrousset.com/

For this one I use "Copy of Ludwig" template, quite easy to setup.It's not finished yet, I've a few things to do on it , if you've any critiques or advices, please let me know.

Regards
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2014

--- Denise

I have spent a few hours making some major changes to the colour scheme, removing the background, changing CSS colour codes and reducing the ads to make it cleaner looking.

Robin
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2014
    I have spent a few hours making some major changes to the colour scheme, removing the background, changing CSS colour codes and reducing the ads to make it cleaner looking.
    That looks much better.

Are you aware that you can remove the smugmug footer? Click Customize, Customize site... Settings. Set the smug foot to off.

Depending on the browser size your "back to top" icon is sitting on top of a photo. Given that you are using galleries in smugmug style I'm not sure why you have implemented back to top.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2014

Robin

A lot better! like it a lot better this time around.
    Jeff K.
    Newbie in Action
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2014
    A lot better! like it a lot better this time around.
    That looks much better.

Are you aware that you can remove the smugmug footer? Click Customize, Customize site... Settings. Set the smug foot to off.

Depending on the browser size your "back to top" icon is sitting on top of a photo. Given that you are using galleries in smugmug style I'm not sure why you have implemented back to top.

--- Denise

Thanks Denise & Jeff for helping me see the error of my ways thumb.gif

Denise, I did notice the back to top issue, but by then I had had enough of changing things and needed a beer. The back to top has now been removed where not necessary and the color has also been changed to match the rest of the site.

Thanks
    Robin
  • Options
    DEWiPhotoDEWiPhoto Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 25, 2014
    updated site...
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Allright Customization gurus, we want to see what you have been doing to the New SmugMug. Reply to this thread with your new SmugMug site. If you can also give a brief overview of the additional customization you did, that would be awesome.

We are going to start showing off awesome sites via our social media channels soon, so show us what you got! clap.gif

Michael

http://www.danielwarephotography.com/

Here is the progress on the construction of my site. I would appreciate any feedback, and maybe tips on making it a smooth visit for clients.
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2014
    DEWiPhoto wrote: »

Here is the progress on the construction of my site. I would appreciate any feedback, and maybe tips on making it a smooth visit for clients.
    Why have you placed all of your galleries and folders in a folder called "Photography="? This means your viewers need top click through a totally unnecessary level in order to see your work. In addition, once you get to the next level you seem to have a mixture of galleries that should probably be in folders.

You have a number of empty galleries. Have you considered setting those galleries to unlisted initially, then changing them to public once they are ready to be shared.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2014
    DEWiPhoto wrote: »

First, you have some nice photos on there, so that's the most important thing. But I think your site needs some work. Sorry to be so blunt below, but hopefully it will help:

When I went to your site, all I saw on the home page was a slide show with 3 menu items on the left - Home, Browse, and Search. I clicked on Browse, thinking maybe your galleries were there, and there was nothing but another slide show. Only after playing around a bit did I discover that you have galleries. But they're WAY below the fold on the main page.

The average user won't go hunting around for your galleries. If they aren't on the main menu, readily available, forget about anyone looking at them.

The hand-written "Daniel Ware Photography" watermark you put on your nature images is so ugly that it makes it impossible to appreciate the image.

Phrases like "Check it out & tell everyone!!! Seriously.... Everyone you know." don't come off as very professional. Viewers know the photos are for sale; you don't need to pour on the hard sell.

I don't know what your relation with Ryan Muirhead is, but if he's anything other than a friend, make sure you have an email from him giving you permission to display his work on your site.

Your Blaze Gymnastics Meet gallery is totally open to the public and has children on it. Do you have permission from the parents to display these photos? If not, either get it in writing right away, or make this a password protected gallery. This is particularly critical if you are in the U.S., and any of these kids are under 13. See http://www.business.ftc.gov/documents/0493-Complying-with-COPPA-Frequently-Asked-Questions for more info on this.

I don't think your left hand panel is very balanced. You have a very wide logo followed by an exceedingly narrow menu. You might be better off with a menu across the top, or redo your logo so it doesn't seem so imbalanced.

No contact page? How are clients supposed to reach you?
  • Options
    tndiptndip Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 26, 2014
    Loved the new site you have
    Very impressed and hope to imitate you both! I have several weddings booked and wanted a fresh prospective and need to redefine how I show my gallery pics. May I ask what camera you normally use and what is your favorite lens for portraits.
  • Options
    UbraneUbrane Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2014
    Hello folks,

Here's my new SmugMug site, check it out there :

http://www.ericrousset.com/

For this one I use "Copy of Ludwig" template, quite easy to setup.It's not finished yet, I've a few things to do on it , if you've any critiques or advices, please let me know.

Regards
    Salut Eric,

Nice work there!
    But if I may, you should try to to get some space between your navbar and the top of your slideshow: some pictures (and mostly all the vertical ones) are hiding a part of your links.

Cheers,

Antoine
  • Options
    hrlhrl Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 30, 2014
    After so many years away from SmugMug, I came back, with the same SmugMug url and the same custom domain.

Check my site! ravenda.smugmug.com or www.hrav.org

I don't want anything fancy, I'm not sure if I'm going to purchase the power plan. I'll probably end up with the basic plan as this is just my personal photo vault.
    You can't go wrong with SmugMug.
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2014
    hrl wrote: »
    Check my site! ravenda.smugmug.com or www.hrav.org

I don't want anything fancy, I'm not sure if I'm going to purchase the power plan. I'll probably end up with the basic plan as this is just my personal photo vault.
    I hope you're aware that if you go with the basic plan you will lose your customizations - no menu...

If I click your "galleries" navbar entry to get to the browse page I see what appears to be a bunch of empty folders. Is this what you intended? Until you add some galleries to those folders you might want to set the folders to unlisted.

--- Denise