Options

I am seriously upset

Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
edited September 11, 2013 in SmugMug Support
I am seriously upset with this Smugmug change. :(:

I may be clumsy, stupid, whatever, but I am having hard times trying to make the - almost imposed - new site.

I upload images that sometimes don't appear ! I have uploaded 3 times 3 jpg saved 3 times and ... nothing pops !

Flickr - where also I have an account - is pretty simple. All right, it doesn't have those fancy stuff but what the hell !... It works !

Dgrin is a see of posts and threads. Since long I am not here anymore. Threads navigate without anyone noticing. A shame. :huh

A few days ago Dgrin was not sending mails !! Too big perhaps ??
All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook

Comments

• Options
    Soul Gaze PhotographySoul Gaze Photography Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2013

I may be clumsy, stupid, whatever, but I am having hard times trying to make the - almost imposed - new site.

I upload images that sometimes don't appear ! I have uploaded 3 times 3 jpg saved 3 times and ... nothing pops !

Flickr - where also I have an account - is pretty simple. All right, it doesn't have those fancy stuff but what the hell !... It works !

Dgrin is a see of posts and threads. Since long I am not here anymore. Threads navigate without anyone noticing. A shame. eek7.gif

Hello!! I am SO sorry you are having trouble. Please don't feel you are alone. There are many Smuggers here like me who would be glad to help you! There has recently been an issue with uploading. It's nothing you've done wrong and is being worked on behind the scenes as quickly as possible! You can monitor SmugMug site status here: http://status.smugmug.com/
    Dgrin has a really useful search box, but I can understand your frustration with the amount of threads. Please excuse the clutter. There has been such an amazingly unexpected response for the 'new' SmugMug. I'm sure once things are caught up with direct support, the threads will calm down and be better organized once again. Is there anything in particular you are searching for or need help with?
    Photographic Artist Amber Flowers of Soul Gaze Photography, LLC.
    SmugMug setup & customization services. Contact me! :D
    Proud & helpful Smugger since 2009. Please hire me for Support Hero!!
    I first contacted Jill V. in April 2011 & I even wrote a poem.

• Options
    baldbubbabaldbubba Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited August 31, 2013
    Same boat!!

Dgrin is a see of posts and threads. Since long I am not here anymore. Threads navigate without anyone noticing. A shame. eek7.gif

WHY IS THIS happening? it is a known problem,,, 2times the cost,, half the corrections,, why cant we get what we are paying for?? I have 5 requests in via the "superHEROS" has been over 5 hours since i sent the request,, i have customers calling as to where the images are from the football game that was over with almost 12 hours ago!!! this is costing me $$$ as well I am spending $$ and get ABSOLUTELY no help!
  • Options
    baldbubbabaldbubba Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited August 31, 2013
    Nothing but excuses!!!!

Hello!! I am SO sorry you are having trouble. Please don't feel you are alone. There are many Smuggers here like me who would be glad to help you! There has recently been an issue with uploading. It's nothing you've done wrong and is being worked on behind the scenes as quickly as possible! You can monitor SmugMug site status here: http://status.smugmug.com/
    Dgrin has a really useful search box, but I can understand your frustration with the amount of threads. Please excuse the clutter. There has been such an amazingly unexpected response for the 'new' SmugMug. I'm sure once things are caught up with direct support, the threads will calm down and be better organized once again. Is there anything in particular you are searching for or need help with?

this has been a problem BEFORE this "NEW" upgrade (FIASCO) costing all of us $$ they sure took our money without being able to come thru with the promises,, to be honest, i had ZERO issues with the old way! guess they figure we double the price we better "TRY" to give them an excuse for the HUGE increase. well it is a failure!
  • Options
    Soul Gaze PhotographySoul Gaze Photography Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2013
    baldbubba wrote: »
    WHY IS THIS happening? it is a known problem,,, 2times the cost,, half the corrections,, why cant we get what we are paying for?? I have 5 requests in via the "superHEROS" has been over 5 hours since i sent the request,, i have customers calling as to where the images are from the football game that was over with almost 12 hours ago!!! this is costing me $$$ as well I am spending $$ and get ABSOLUTELY no help!

...this has been a problem BEFORE this "NEW" upgrade (FIASCO) costing all of us $$ they sure took our money without being able to come thru with the promises,, to be honest, i had ZERO issues with the old way! guess they figure we double the price we better "TRY" to give them an excuse for the HUGE increase. well it is a failure!

I understand your frustration. I've been a Smugger for over three years and thankfully, big issues like today's upload bug are very rare. I know that it seems like an eternity to await responses compared to the old 'one-hour' response time. Please understand that there was an unexpected amount of interest in the 'new' SmugMug which has resulted in delayed replies. For requests such as needing help customizing or reporting a bug, you can do that here on Dgrin. Most issues can be resolved via this great community of Smuggers. Part of the issue right now with the slower email support is people emailing for random things such as customization questions. This slows down the queue for everyone. I'm truly sorry for your distrust and believe me, I understand. Like you, I have clients who need to see my work today. Thankfully, mine have understood that such a situation was outside my control and most were too busy watching football games to mind. wings.gifAnyway, I hope that if you have questions or need help that you'll try posting them here in Dgrin. There are many of us who'd be glad to help!

• Options
    Doug_CDoug_C Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2013
    I - and many others - share your pain Antonio.

If it helps you can subscribe via the Blog and will at least receive updates via email when there is a service issue.

Doesn't resolve but at least keeps you in the loop.
    Cheers,
    Dougie
    Canon 5D Mark III
    http://www.dougie-coull-photography.com/
  • Options
    johnlogukjohnloguk Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2013
    I've been a Smugger for 6 years now but am seriously considering how much longer I can remain so. When I joined Smug I loved it and was a huge advocate for the wonderful service that was given right across the board, but that has changed! Almost every "improvement" has brought with it a whole series of new bugs and glitches, and the latest mega changes have simply created mega bugs and glitches. All most of us want is somewhere that works, somewhere to show off and sell our work. We don't want websites that look "sexy" but don't work. Smugmug have always said that they give their customers what we want, but this is untrue. I can give a long list of features and changes that have been requested over the last 6 years and completely ignored, and an equally long list of features that have never been requested but which have appeared anyway to great fanfares.

The current tsunami of bugs that came with the new look Smug should have been predicted and planned for, we shouldn't have to put up with the endless waits for a response to our requests and bug notifications. I have the hugest sympathy for the heroes who are working double time to keep up with the problems, and who must share our frustrations, but the bottom line is that people who have been with Smug for years are utterly sick of it all. Kind words are great, but not enough anymore. Our fees doubled, and all we got was spin and marketing tricks, and a year later a "sexy" looking website that doesn't work for the majority of us.

For some time I've been convinced that Smug is being run by the accountants, it isn't the friendly photographer family run company that I joined. The new layouts have obviously attracted a lot of new customers and their money, and these people are more valuable to Smug than those of us who have been in for the long haul. All these glitches are costing us money and making us look amateur in the eyes of our customers. Well if the accountants are listening then maybe they should consider some refunds for us to recognise the poor service we've been getting lately? I've seen threads talking about lawyers and suing, it would be a drying shame if it came to that
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2013
    Please understand that there was an unexpected amount of interest in the 'new' SmugMug which has resulted in delayed replies.
    "... an unexpected amount of interest ..." headscratch.gif

I think you're being a tad simplistic.

Try "... an unexpected amount of bugs and glitches ...", it's closer to the truth.
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2013
    Well... I am not that stupid after all rolleyes1.gif

There are many people (too many) with problems !

I have book marked this thread or else I would never read the answers :cry

I must think seriously in moving away. :cry after perhaps 5 or 6 years. And I also regret the site as it was before. I had better control and I knew where commands were quickly, but now...

Thank you all for passing by and dropping those lines ! bowdown.gif

Oh and something else: I am not a professional photographer and I do use Smugmug for pleasure as I have other ambitions concerning photography.
    -
    At this very moment I was trying to change my image background in the new design.

I go through the process but the system always returns me the image before. Crazy think !rolleyes1.gif

I am very - very - patient working on my images but this exceeds my limits ! :cry

Be thumb.gif
  • Options
    JrushJrush Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited September 1, 2013
    Absolutely agree 1000%. The new Smugmug was rolled out with no consideration for those of us who do not live and breath coding and CSS and HTML which seems to be necessary to get the look you want and override all their "glitches". I work with computers every single day, navigating through menus, uploading data, and updating information so I am not unfamiliar with finding what I need to do my job. The tools they included do not work half the time (i.e. I have a content box that I change to 50% width but it keeps changing back to 100% if I try to reposition it! EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING!!) I have navigation buttons that only take me to the galleries if I have the show included folders option selected which shows a drop down menu that is too long to show everything included. If I leave that option off, clicking the button takes me to a blank page. The pages, folders and galleries are ridiculous as well: "...this is an endpoint and that can't live there, this cant live here, and this isn't for images..." blah, blah, blah. I cannot say that I do not like the LOOKS that seem to be achievable, I do like most of them very much, but I can't justify sacrificing functionality, especially for my customers, for the sake of a "NEW LOOK". Very disappointed thus far.
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2013
    beardedgit wrote: »
    "... an unexpected amount of interest ..." headscratch.gif

I think you're being a tad simplistic.

Try "... an unexpected amount of bugs and glitches ...", it's closer to the truth.

Even SmugMug has said they'd received more interest than expected. Of course that's great for them, but it also does put alot of load on a system that despite precautions had no experience with such a load. Compared to when I first switched from legacy, things are running alot smoother with alot less bugs. It takes time to obtain perfection. Of course, how would anyone recognize perfection without first finding flaws? Be patient. At least give them reasonable time to repair the damage to your trust. As much as I support SmugMug even I have issues with a few things, but overall they are still the best solution for my business.

• Options
    edited September 1, 2013
    Well... I am not that stupid after all rolleyes1.gif

There are many people (too many) with problems !

I have book marked this thread or else I would never read the answers :cry

I must think seriously in moving away. :cry after perhaps 5 or 6 years. And I also regret the site as it was before. I had better control and I knew where commands were quickly, but now...

Thank you all for passing by and dropping those lines ! bowdown.gif

Oh and something else: I am not a professional photographer and I do use Smugmug for pleasure as I have other ambitions concerning photography.
    -
    At this very moment I was trying to change my image background in the new design.

I go through the process but the system always returns me the image before. Crazy think !rolleyes1.gif

I am very - very - patient working on my images but this exceeds my limits ! :cry

Be thumb.gif

SmugMug has exterminators on site taking care of the bugs. It just takes time to get them all so that they don't come back. thumb.gif

I'm sorry you are having trouble finding things on the 'new' SmugMug. Can I help you find anything?

You're welcome, I hope I've been helpful.

Regardless of skill level, you deserve to enjoy the host you've chosen. That's why I'm here to help.

Could you explain your background issues in more detail? It's much easier to trouble shoot with details.

• Options
    phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2013

I left flickr after their relaunch because flickr did not work for me anymore... for about two major reasons:
    1) Speed
    if you open a flickr page with all that organic photo streams it takes ages to load...you always get "Loading more photos" which really pissed me off... finally i left flickr because of that.
    2) design and support
    really... you had at least some options to make your flickr page look custom (you could choose the layout of your first page). After they released flickr 2.0 you are forced to use the organic view. And after some time even groups were forced to use the new organic layout.
    Support? There were some help topics in the discussion group. At least here in germany the german discussion group was flooded with negativ feedback and the response was less then one percent.

This is where SM differes from flickr. Yes, we get a lot of bugs here too... some bugs are identical to flickr (which make me wonder why SM has not learned from flickr), some are different. But we get some feedback and some bugs got fixed already.

And we get lots of customizations here! flickr might work... but it is slow and it is a "one size fits all"... which is not me... since i joined SM i changed the layout/design of my site three times. I was never able to change the layout in that way on flickr.

Yes... the new Smug is horrible buggy... but it's better to be buggy then to be slow like flickr.

Keep on working on your site... it looks pritty nice thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2013
    Thank you Soul Gaze for your kindness :)

Thank you also Phaserbeam from Germany. :) Nice of you to drop by !

I do not require much. I am pretty lamer on HTNL and all that stuff. The site is "acceptable" so far...

Obviously certain things could be improved like the About with text too small for example nad no paragraphs at all.

My problem is that I am always afraid - unless I am working on raw files mwink.gif- not to be able to go back where I was.
    -
    Thank you all. Very kind of you ! Good people :D:Dbowdown.gifbow
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2013
    BTW How do I remove the "Themes" at the bottom of the page if it belongs to the template ?

Is is obvious and I can't see it ?
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2013
    Thank you Soul Gaze for your kindness :)

Thank you also Phaserbeam from Germany. :) Nice of you to drop by !

I do not require much. I am pretty lamer on HTNL and all that stuff. The site is "acceptable" so far...

Obviously certain things could be improved like the About with text too small for example nad no paragraphs at all.

My problem is that I am always afraid - unless I am working on raw files mwink.gif- not to be able to go back where I was.
    -
    Thank you all. Very kind of you ! Good people :D:Dbowdown.gifbow

You're very welcome! :D

HTML is fun and easy once you learn it. Everything I know is self-taught either from Dgrin or browsing the web. You CAN do it!

You can change text size either in your theme itself OR via the text content block and also add text (paragraphs) via the text content block. Would you like detailed help?

Don't be afraid! You can always 'preview' your changes before saving OR even revert to your currently published (last saved settings) view and wipe out the mistakes instantly.

• Options
    edited September 1, 2013
    BTW How do I remove the "Themes" at the bottom of the page if it belongs to the template ?

Is is obvious and I can't see it ?

It looks like the 'Themes' you are referencing is a folder or gallery. Do you wish to rename it or remove it completely? You can go into organize to change the name or also to mark it as unlisted (no one can see without a direct link except you when you are signed in) or private (same as unlisted but totally secure - even more so if use a password). OR are you just wanting to get it off your homepage?

• Options
    edited September 2, 2013
    i-RdVvxDc-L.png

Thank you Soul Gaze ! :)

I just would like to erase this Themes rectangle I see at the bottom !

Here in the image above, you see "everything" because I am signed in but there is a rectangle - on the public site - at the bottom which I would like not to be present at all.

It looks to me that it belongs to the template. If you can give me a help that would be much appreciated.

Thank you ! :D
  • Options
    ablichterablichter Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2013

Here in the image above, you see "everything" because I am signed in but there is a rectangle - on the public site - at the bottom which I would like not to be present at all.

It looks to me that it belongs to the template. If you can give me a help that would be much appreciated.

You must have set Content Blocks (pages?) on to the main page (Homepage)

Customize -> Customize Site -> make sure you on "Homepage" -> scroll down -> click the Content Block "Themes" and delete. Same with the other if you don't want them on the main page.
  • Options
    richpepprichpepp Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2013

Sounds like you just want to remove it on your home page as you are using it elsewhere. So, if that is true, then

1. Log in to your site
    2. Go to your homepage
    3. Click on customize top right then Cusomize site
    4. In the Content Tab on the right you will see a section called 'On Homepage'. As you hover over each item in that list the actual item on homepage will turn blue as it is selected. When you get to the one you want to remove just click on the trashcan on the right to delete it
    5. If that wan't what you wanted then click on the 'revert' arrow just to the right of 'homepage' under the 'Entire site' part of the tree at the top right.

That should be it I hope

Rich

edit:Jörg is faster at typing that me :) - same info though
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2013
    richpepp wrote: »
    edit:Jörg is faster at typing that me :) - same info though
    Yepp, almost the same, but it won't hurt
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2013
    Thank you Rich and Jörg ! bowdown.gifbow

Very useful both of you !

I saw your images and they look gorgeous :)
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2013
    Thank you Rich and Jörg ! bowdown.gifbow

Very useful both of you !
    Ha! Suddenly your "Themes" evaporated! ;)
    I saw your images and they look gorgeous :)
    Thanks for flattering me, mas suas fotos são muito melhores!
    Love your portrait series!
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2013
    They are not ! I should say they are as good as yours !

Não são nada ! São pelo menos tão boas como as suas !

bowdown.gifbowrolleyes1.gifrofl

My "Themes" are there: "Color" and "Black and White" with galleries inside ;)
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2013

You're very welcome!

I must apologize for not replying sooner. I was out of my office spending time with my family for the holiday. I'm glad there have been helpful replies - I assume you've been able to fix the issue? If you need help with anything else, be sure to post! :D

• Options
    edited September 3, 2013
    Well Soul GAze since you insist ... :)

In some of my galleries I have the text too small like here for example.

I am needing to know how to change the text to a larger font if you please :) I am sure that is very easy.

I used to do so in a blog in Blogspot, copy and paste...

bowdown.gifbow
  • Options
    krashedmykarchkrashedmykarch Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2013
    manage navs
    How to change or control the font and font size in my navs?
    ~Ciao
    Charles
    Brampton, Canada
    www.charlesdalyphotography.com
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2013
    And Charles, how have you done this ?

I do have seen it somewhere before... :) Thank you ! :)
    i-Vv28rsN-L.png
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2013
    Well Soul GAze since you insist ... :)

In some of my galleries I have the text too small like here for example.

I am needing to know how to change the text to a larger font if you please :) I am sure that is very easy.

I used to do so in a blog in Blogspot, copy and paste...

bowdown.gifbow

Sure! If you are using the text content blocks, just use your mouse and drag to select (highlight) the text you wish to change. Then change the number in the font size box located at the top left of the text content block. Mine defaults at 14. Alternately, you could even use a title content block for your text titles and then drag a text content block below that for your paragraphs. Let me know if you need screenshots or more details. :D

• Options
    edited September 4, 2013
    How to change or control the font and font size in my navs?

'Customize' > 'Customize Site'. Select 'entire site'. Hover over the menu content block you wish to change. Select the tool icon. Scroll down and select 'text size'. The options are XL-XS.

To change the font that is used, create site-wide theme via the 'theme' menu next to the 'content' [block] menu. Scroll down and select 'create theme'. The menu will display with a wide variety of font options. You can also insert CSS code in the 'theme'. Good luck!

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,253 moderator
    edited September 5, 2013
    And Charles, how have you done this ?

I do have seen it somewhere before... :) Thank you ! :)
    i-Vv28rsN-L.png
    That's the standard smugmug contact form. You can add it to your menu, specify the contact form as the link to.

You will also need to set up and verify your email address in your account settings.

--- Denise