Options

> The Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges - General Discussion

Comments

• Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    photo-bug wrote: »
    * Being under the Gemini sign, for me it's always very difficult to make a decision rolleyes1.gif

Pick 10-20 themes that interest you. Write them out then put them in a hat and let fate decide. mwink.gif
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    sherstone wrote: »
    Pick 10-20 themes that interest you. Write them out then put them in a hat and let fate decide. mwink.gif

rolleyes1.gif

Great idea! Got it wings.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    I like Allen's idea. And will likely give it a try and see what kind of response we get. :D
    Thanks for your suggestion. thumb.gif

Thank you for considering it, Sean. I think it will be awesome! thumb.gif
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• Options
    nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    photo-bug wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif

If your creations in the imposed rules were so wonderful, the "free style" should not hold you back.

The biggest difficulty in this (from my point of view) would be to choose your own theme - :D

* Being under the Gemini sign, for me it's always very difficult to make a decision rolleyes1.gif

In cases like this, I usually don't even think about a "theme", instead I think of a "thing". For example, I say to myself "I haven't shot a landscape in a while, so maybe I should shoot one" or "I miss working on a portrait", etc. Shoot anything you want and call it "untitled" if you must. If you have a specific theme in mind, great, otherwise, don't even think too much to come up with one, instead think of a "thing" to shoot.
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• Options
    edited October 27, 2010
    In cases like this, I usually don't even think about a "theme", instead I think of a "thing". For example, I say to myself "I haven't shot a landscape in a while, so maybe I should shoot one" or "I miss working on a portrait", etc. Shoot anything you want and call it "untitled" if you must. If you have a specific theme in mind, great, otherwise, don't even think too much to come up with one, instead think of a "thing" to shoot.

Thank you so much Allen for this clarification. I was a little confused about this, but now this explanation makes it
    a lot easier. Great thumb.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    You guys make it sound so easy. I truly have little imagination until someone plants a seed. Maybe I can have someone slip me a theme under the table and I can work on that.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2010
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    You guys make it sound so easy. I truly have little imagination until someone plants a seed. Maybe I can have someone slip me a theme under the table and I can work on that.

I can do that... :D

* I heard that people in Gemini are also called "idiots"... because they have lots of ideas rolleyes1.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2010
    Ha, I thought you said "people in Germany are also called idiots"! Read wrong! Okay, you can be one of my designated idea throwers if you want to. Is that cheating?
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    Ha, I thought you said "people in Germany are also called idiots"! Read wrong! Okay, you can be one of my designated idea throwers if you want to. Is that cheating?

Only if you use it and Win! thumb.gif

Just kidding. I'm sure ideas can come from anywhere........

:D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2010
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    Only if you use it and Win! thumb.gif

Just kidding. I'm sure ideas can come from anywhere........

:D

Don

deal.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2010

No Problem, Sandi. Your Theme is; " Table!"
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2010
    or,...

"my over-populated suburban area"

How does this sound?
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2010
    (Cracking up here). Okay, that makes two. Table or over-populated-suburban-area. I'll think about those, and it appears I have a lot of time since the challenge isn't even posted yet!
    SandiZ
  • Options
    StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    Just another thumb.gif for this idea! I'm not usually inclined to use what little shooting time I have to address the designated theme of the current challenge, even though I usually think the theme is cool.

However, I am always taking at least some shots (with my kids, as I walk the dog, as I drive to work, at family events, as I clean house--wouldn't you all like to see an artistic shot of my laundry?) And I do sit late at night and try to refine my processing skills. So I often have a current "favorite" experiment that I'd love to share. This sounds great! I'll watch for it.
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    (Cracking up here). Okay, that makes two. Table or over-populated-suburban-area. I'll think about those, and it appears I have a lot of time since the challenge isn't even posted yet!
    How about 'Table Over Populated Area'? Then you only have one to concentrate on. Just kidding of course. I'm not one to talk since I haven't participated in quite a while. It can be difficult trying to focus on an idea without the theme to guide you.

I do think this open theme is a great idea though.
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2010
    I've been thinking about it and I think I'll be okay. I realized that I do have a brain and all it takes is a little thinking sometimes. I may not have much around me, but I CAN create something with a little shopping and imagination.
    SandiZ
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2010
    I see this conversation has evolved a great deal since I left 10 days ago! Great!

Allen, I htought you proposed 'best shot ever'...that made me shy. I can handle " best shot this week."

Sandi, I, too, live in an overpopulated suburban area. I envy those in a big city or big wide open country. I shoot lots of different stuff and can certainly be an idea passer! (if you promise to shoot ideas back!)

Sean, glad you considered Allen's idea. It's nice to see that everyone has ownership of the well-being of this forum.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2010
    Good deal, Chris. I'll keep you in mind if I get anything!
    SandiZ
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2010
    Good deal, Chris. I'll keep you in mind if I get anything!

Maybe we should have a little "best suburb" challenge! Ha. I really am joking.
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2011
    Question
    How long do I need to keep my EXIF galleries? Can they be deleted when the Challenge is over? They are starting to add up.
    SandiZ
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2011
    How long do I need to keep my EXIF galleries? Can they be deleted when the Challenge is over? They are starting to add up.

I can't imagine you needing them for more than the date range of the challenge they relate to. In fact it almost seems like Sean looks at them to confirm dates, and then kills the link from the images in the submission gallery once he's done.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2011

You can retire your EXIF galleries as soon as the winners for that round have been announced if you like. :D
    I like to keep mine around for historical reference but each person will have a different way they want to handle their photography.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2011
    Froch wrote: »
    I can't imagine you needing them for more than the date range of the challenge they relate to. In fact it almost seems like Sean looks at them to confirm dates, and then kills the link from the images in the submission gallery once he's done.

In the past I have done this once during the "Nine" challenge. Normally I do not remove EXIF links until the galleries have been moved over to the Dgrin archives and then put into the winners gallery.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2011
    Okay, thanks! Maybe I'll just dump them into one for reference after the Challenge instead of keeping separate galleries.
    SandiZ
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2011
    In the past I have done this once during the "Nine" challenge. Normally I do not remove EXIF links until the galleries have been moved over to the Dgrin archives and then put into the winners gallery.

Sorry, as I think about it, it may have been something else....but when I saw the EXIF links removed from "nine" I related it.
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2011
    Can anyone point me to the discussion on why frames are not allowed in the challenges. Just interested..
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2011
    Challenge Rules

Under number 9 there is a link to the initial discussion many years ago.

I have lifted the frames rule for several of the rounds if it only made sense to do so. Otherwise....
  • Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2011
    Sean,
    The discussion linked under rule 9 doesn't have a clear, unambiguous decision on the type of border that was brought up in the entry thread, e.g. part of the picture, not added to it. It dealt mostly with copyright/watermarks.

Shay said (3/20/2007)
    Borders are prohibited, spend your time making the photo stand on it's own without a border. As a judge, I want to focus on the content of the photo, not someones idea of a nice frame.

We want your photo to put its best foot forward, and ensure you get the credit you deserve.

Even though I don't have a stake in this discussion (yet) I'd like to read about why the powers that be think that a frame like what was in Tatiana's photo detracts from the composition.
    edited January 11, 2011
    red_zone wrote: »
    Sean,
    The discussion linked under rule 9 doesn't have a clear, unambiguous decision on the type of border that was brought up in the entry thread, e.g. part of the picture, not added to it. It dealt mostly with copyright/watermarks.

Shay said (3/20/2007)

Even though I don't have a stake in this discussion (yet) I'd like to read about why the powers that be think that a frame like what was in Tatiana's photo detracts from the composition.

First off let me say I do not personally make judgments on if a border or frame detracts from an image. The photo in question had nothing to do with composition or how it looked in my decision. It is my job to enforce what little rules we have and even though I have a choice to change them at any time I also have to think of the group as a whole. I will do my best to not change things half way through a challenge or near the end of it. Therefore because whether it was a natural frame or not I had to come to some decision. In my mind the decision was clear, it was a frame and I also explained that very succinctly in the challenge thread. 2 other images violated the rule, one was changed before the closing time the other was disqualified. In this case it could have gone both ways, which is the fine line I speak of. Whether anyone agrees with my decision is also not something that plays a part in how I come to the end result either.

I think this explanation above is more than enough to explain where I was coming from with the decision. In the end the rules that are in place need to be enforced by someone and that just happens to be me.

Honestly it is really easy. When in doubt ask, either here in this thread or in the current challenge thread. Or do not photograph something that puts a frame around your subject.
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2011
    Challenge Rules

Under number 9 there is a link to the initial discussion many years ago.

I have lifted the frames rule for several of the rounds if it only made sense to do so. Otherwise....

Thanks Sean.
    That link seems to take me to a discussion on 'branding'.
    No worries. I was just interested in the reasoning. I've seen the same rule in play elsewhere, and am just interested.
    Not disputing whether I feel it to be correct or not.

P