Options

LIGHT Discussion: HDR

Comments

• Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    whoa!
    I thought some of my HDRs were ok.. but man.. some of the stuff here, I won't even bother posting mine.. :)
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    Chris HChris H Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    Foques wrote: »
    whoa!
    I thought some of my HDRs were ok.. but man.. some of the stuff here, I won't even bother posting mine.. :)

Oh go on.......
  • Options
    The StigThe Stig Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    Hi guys

I think John you made some valid points and I will further add that learning the art of HDR is something that is not picked up easy and as a novice, I have found it somewhat hard to find the balance of the cartoon images and the professional images i have scene above, I further understand the value in getting constructive criticism and critique from people that have demonstrated the ability to master such HDR programs.

I have look at the above images and aspire to have the ability to produce such quality images, however, we as individuals should have the right to change a image to produce something that is pleasing to us, for instance nature photos of birds give me hump and have less than no interest, however i can appreciate the work and skill set that is required to take such photo, just not my cup of tea

Ok I'm down off my soap box, the first question to you talented HDR's is that do you only process in the HDR tab only or do you Tone Map (other tab in Photomatix) to get the image to look the way you like it, I guess as a extension of that is are the two related.

Regards

Chris
    " The cartoon HDR person "
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    catspaw wrote: »
    I think the biggest "problem" with HDR is that people who use it too much get to a point where their eyes don't really REMEMBER what the scene was like -- and you get these over saturated over vivid images that scream 'Look at me look at me, I'm over done HDR!". But the people don't realize it because they've spent so much time looking and processing those images, they've lost their grasp of the reality of the moment they were trying to capture.

Very well said! I've been trying to come to grips with HDR and trying to put to words the problem with it. You've just written the best description of the problem I've ever seen. All too often I'm looking at these images and the back of my mind is screaming "but if the light is that strong over here, it should be over there too!" and "oh how nice that it just happened that the clouds peaked out at #fefefe at a few pixels, and the shadows, how awesome that they dropped down to #010101 for you... and that apple on the tree, the highlights just perfectly worked out to #ff0000? so amazing."

There are folks that have been doing exposure blending for a long time and many of us probably never even knew it. Then there are mathematical pixel hackers trying to extract the most dynamic range they can out of an image and encode it into 8bpp jpegs that use every possible color value. One of these two groups is killing the technique. :) (and yeah, I realize that's a pretty broad generalization that polarizes folks... and reality is that most folks live somewhere along the spectrum in between.)

And as catspaw said, hate me if you want, I don't care... it's just my opinion on this issue.

Now since I feel bad commenting on the issue without actually adding to the conversation, my own HDRs:

Two separate exposures, hand merged in PS.
    518272727_Gj7TY-L.jpg

One raw processed two different ways and then merged.
    586196317_aKMku-L.jpg

One raw processed two different ways and then merged.
    864690619_oA4eU-L.jpg
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    pmondaypmonday Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    Just Another Tool
    Love the Chateau picture Chris ...

I am not an HDR expert by any means, but I continue to pursue it for two reasons:
    - a tool for high contrast situations and bringing realism to the view
    - a tool for bringing emotion to a scene

The latter falls into the gray area I think ... that's where the tone mapping might get a bit more aggressive. In the end though, I find HDR to be an amazingly handy tool to have by your side in challenging situations. Like some other posts have noted and I've found ... often times the HDR process simply speeds what could have been done with a raw image and patience on the curves / highlights / shadows .... maybe a second exposure and some dodging / burning ..

So, yes, I will post one of my own as well ... this was both a challenging scene and one I wanted to project as a bit more ominous ... so many birds in one tree can't be up to any good.

842273380_GUpru-L.jpg

Great thread by the way, love seeing all of the opinions :)

Paul
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    This thread has motivated me to try some new venues. Here are a few I shot indoors with no flash. All are 3 exposures blended.

859972178_Ea2P2-XL-1.jpg

859982232_Matar-XL-1.jpg

860623065_72Dp4-XL-1.jpg
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    Ok Dan, I generally love your work, so don't take this personally... one of your images just happens to perfectly demonstrate one of the issues I have with mechanically generated HDRs:
    dlplumer wrote: »
    860623065_72Dp4-M-1.jpg

So everything in the image is "perfectly exposed" and well lit. But where is the light on the ceiling and beams coming from? I see very obvious light sources that are shining in the opposite direction, into the eye. Normal human vision would not see that ceiling that well, it would be wrapped in shadow and obscured by glare. But there are virtually no deep shadows in that image anywhere... almost all the play of light and shadow in the scene is stripped away and replaced with a flat, boring, uniform, omni-present light source. That kinda thing may work in some very limited cases, but in a lot of images, it just results in a yawn for me.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    cabbey wrote: »
    Very well said! I've been trying to come to grips with HDR and trying to put to words the problem with it. You've just written the best description of the problem I've ever seen. All too often I'm looking at these images and the back of my mind is screaming "but if the light is that strong over here, it should be over there too!" and "oh how nice that it just happened that the clouds peaked out at #fefefe at a few pixels, and the shadows, how awesome that they dropped down to #010101 for you... and that apple on the tree, the highlights just perfectly worked out to #ff0000? so amazing."

And as catspaw said, hate me if you want, I don't care... it's just my opinion on this issue.

Thanks Cabbey :) Of course, now having said that, I have some of my own HDR stuff to play with and I only hope my eyes and brain keep me in check..... pot. kettle. none of us are perfect rolleyes1.gif
    //Leah
  • Options
    rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    Love your photos Dan!! Great compositions and I LOVE the color!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2010
    cabbey wrote: »
    Ok Dan, I generally love your work, so don't take this personally... one of your images just happens to perfectly demonstrate one of the issues I have with mechanically generated HDRs:

So everything in the image is "perfectly exposed" and well lit. But where is the light on the ceiling and beams coming from? I see very obvious light sources that are shining in the opposite direction, into the eye. Normal human vision would not see that ceiling that well, it would be wrapped in shadow and obscured by glare. But there are virtually no deep shadows in that image anywhere... almost all the play of light and shadow in the scene is stripped away and replaced with a flat, boring, uniform, omni-present light source. That kinda thing may work in some very limited cases, but in a lot of images, it just results in a yawn for me.

Thanks Cabbey. Appreciate the constructive feedbackthumb.gif
  • Options
    ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Amazing shots in here! Nice work guys and gals. I love HDR... whether it's overdone or not. Call it art... call it a photo... call it whatever you want. Doesn't really matter. If it looks good(and most HDR does) then that is all that matters in most people's eyes. I understand the whole debate on what qualifies as a "photograph"but HDR shots ARE still photographs. Processed photographs, right?

Here's a few of mine... from a little Sony P&S. They look good to me and to all my family and friends who don't know any better. They love the image and don't care what anyone calls it. Try telling the average person that they really aren't looking at a photo though. headscratch.gif

dsc0992342tonemapped.jpg

dsc0977789tonemapped102.jpg

dsc0945645tonemapped800.jpg

dsc0824675tonemapped800.jpg

dsc094484950tonemapped8.jpg

medleyhill1024.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2010
    ront wrote: »
    Love your photos Dan!! Great compositions and I LOVE the color!!

Ron

Thanks Ron, appreciate that kind comment very much :D:D
  • Options
    me_minihahame_minihaha Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited May 23, 2010
    I am in awe of all this...I have nothing to say about anything except I am trying to be a sponge and learn cuz thus far I am clueless still an infant to this art, and you are all my mentors.

[IMG]http://<a href=http://eyebehold.smugmug.com/Photography/Things-that-caught-my-eye/12201274_TVhDc#875657680_QCr4G-A-LB target=_blank>[/img]875657680_QCr4G-M.jpg
    Victoria
    "It's awesome to be ALIVE!"
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2010
    Here are a couple that were bracketed, but I tried to keep it somewhat subtle.... Thoughts?
    Beautiful - excellent treatment! thumb.gif
  • Options
    MisterMcCruffMisterMcCruff Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2010
    I'm largely in favour of any technique/process that allows for the range of results that we've already seen in this thread alone. There is some outstanding work in here. bowdown.gif

I think processing preferences and the effects they ultimately create are beautifully personal and what one tog might see as perfect, another might completely disagree.

For me, that's one of the joys of being a photographer in this digital age. thumb.gif

I've come fill circle with HDR a number of times and have often used differing techniques when shooting the same subjects/scenes.

In certain instances, I've manually blended 2 or three exposures in CS3 only:
    3231077707_1831d559f0.jpg

Same church, processed in Photomatix first and then finished in CS3:
    4016864234_7ab89d4490.jpg

Panorama manually stitched and blended:
    3389816575_7470edce50_b.jpg

Again, same scene - processed completely differently:
    4068965462_45b23ea841_b.jpg

However, my favourite HDR image I've ever produced is this one and the reason I like it so much is because it's true to how the scene appeared at the time, 6am on a freezing cold Winter's morning:

4082252577_3f799347b9.jpg
    Cameras: Gripped 30D, EOS 33 35mm, Ricoh KR10, Sony DSC-H7.
    Lenses:
    Canon 17-40mm f/4 L USM, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II, Canon 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM.
    Lighting:
    Canon 430EX II, Nikon SB24, Konig stand, Stofen omnibounce, 33" brolly, DIY beauty dish + diffusers.
    Misc: UV+CPL filters, reverse mount adapters, Velbon tripod. Photoshop CS3

*clicky flickr clicky*
  • Options
    BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2010

However, my favourite HDR image I've ever produced is this one and the reason I like it so much is because it's true to how the scene appeared at the time, 6am on a freezing cold Winter's morning:

4082252577_3f799347b9.jpg

Beautiful. The mist on the water really makes the shot for me.

Your second church is also great. Really creepy feel. Nice work.
  • Options
    Will DaBeastWill DaBeast Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2010
    You know what's funny? This same conversation could have and probbly did happen in the 1870's when impressionism really began to take hold. I can hear the same arguements. doesn't look real, those colors weren't really there.
    I wonder where Manet, Monet, Degas, Cezanne, Renoir and Cassatte would have taken HDR. My guess is probably past the limiting factor of realism. It's art people, push the envelope. Or not. It's your choice
  • Options
    brocotbrocot Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2010
    I love it wings.gif
    624241343_Rs3kF-L.jpg
    D7200/Nikon AF-S DX Nikkon 10-24mm/10-24dx/105mm prime/Nikon 200-500sb900/
    Hello, :thumb Mi Smug :
    http://erikgodderis.smugmug.com/
    http://www.godderis.be
  • Options
    spbradyspbrady Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited May 25, 2010
    I have looked at some shots that have it done(over done) and not a big fan, however, with every other technique if it is done correctly it can make a huge impact.

I should state that I have no ideane_nau.gif how to do it but would like to find out how.
  • Options
    BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2010
    You know what's funny? This same conversation could have and probbly did happen in the 1870's when impressionism really began to take hold.

Or when Jerry Uelsmann became an absolute master darkroom manipulation (including shooting with the intent of having think or think negatives to facilitate masking and other printing techniques).

http://www.andrewsmithgallery.com/exhibitions/jerryuelsmann/masterworks/index.htm
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2010
    Blackwood wrote: »
    Or when Jerry Uelsmann became an absolute master darkroom manipulation (including shooting with the intent of having think or think negatives to facilitate masking and other printing techniques).

http://www.andrewsmithgallery.com/exhibitions/jerryuelsmann/masterworks/index.htm

Ed Zachary. That's some beautiful work.
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2010
    I call it "Crack Tractor" :D

I know it's not a tractor but Crack Log Splitter isn't a funny.

4635418922_bf3edd87c4_o.jpg
  • Options
    canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2010
    I call it "Crack Tractor" :D

I know it's not a tractor but Crack Log Splitter isn't a funny.

4635418922_bf3edd87c4_o.jpg

It is a while since I have used Photomatix but it runs in my mind that on the home page of Photomatix there was a Blending facility. This is no longer there or am I imaganing things in my old age? I am using Photomatix 3.2 (64 bit)
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2010
    I have no idea. Did you get an answer to the same question on POTN?
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2010
    Exposure Fusion was known as Exposure Blending in prior versions of Photomatix Pro
    [ says in the manual ]
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    This is one of my first attempts at HDR using CS5.

Sam
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2010
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited June 3, 2010
    will da, hope you don't mind but I thought I'd include this thread from advrider.

Lots of interesting discussion but since it is in Jomamma, I must warn you that some comments might be unsuitable for some people.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2010
    ian408 wrote: »
    will da, hope you don't mind but I thought I'd include this thread from advrider.

Lots of interesting discussion but since it is in Jomamma, I must warn you that some comments might be unsuitable for some people.
    Cool. I missed this tread. Guess I spent too much time in the Toxic Britney thread. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2010
    Even though the shot in this thread's first post is mine, I actually rarely use it.
    Personally, I shoot very few things that are suitable (in my eyes) for HDR or similar treatment. Most of my shots involve people.

Yesterday, I found a new use for HDR, for me. I was asked by a friend to take a few shots of the inside of his house, since he is going to be selling it.

I tried Photomatix on 3 bracketed shots (-1.33, 0.66, +2.66) for each image. I still have to get used to it a bit, but it seems to work well!

896706425_rTDpx-L.jpg

896722567_wHdES-L.jpg

I am pretty happy with these for a first try wings.gif