Options

Gitzo Ground Level Set

PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
edited April 28, 2009 in Accessories
I have a 2531 whose center column I would like to remove and use the Ground Level Set feature. You can easily screw the top disc-shaped base into the hook assembly once you remove the column, but it seems as though it needs another two turns to fully tighten. Am I required to loosen the column tension ring (the thing you turn to adjust the column height) in order to make up the few mm of clearance?

No matter how hard I tighten the disc on the hook part, it still leaves the whole thing loose to the tune of about 2-3mm. Am I doing it right? The GLS page on Gitzo's web site (which is rubbish—let's be clear) doesn't talk about rotating the column tension ring to compensate. No downloadable manual is available and I misplaced mine.

Help!

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    Hm. I have this pod, though I recently took the whole column out and switched to just a Markins base plate. I'm traveling Pindy, if you get no answer in 24 hours, ping me via PM and I'll have a look.
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2009
    Appreciate the offer, Andy. I looked up the Markins base and that looks like exactly the kind of thing I wanted in the first place, next to a series 3 Systematic. I'll fiddle a bit more tonight. Here's the only thing I could find (er... thanks Gitzo for the really great "screen saver"):

521918496_ME98b-O.png
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2009
    I think I figured it out. If you loosen the ring enough so that you can remove the column, it's already a couple mm higher than if you removed the column THEN tightened the ring back down. Gitzo is assuming you aren't going to tighten the ring first before doing the Ground Level Set (of course I did) in which case the top disc and the hook assembly tighten perfectly.

Having sorted it out, I think I might try that Markins base if you recommend it. It looks really solid.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,820 moderator
    edited April 28, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    I think I figured it out. If you loosen the ring enough so that you can remove the column, it's already a couple mm higher than if you removed the column THEN tightened the ring back down. Gitzo is assuming you aren't going to tighten the ring first before doing the Ground Level Set (of course I did) in which case the top disc and the hook assembly tighten perfectly.

Having sorted it out, I think I might try that Markins base if you recommend it. It looks really solid.

Good to know. Thanks for sorting this out. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Good to know. Thanks for sorting this out. thumb.gif

Yeah, a bit of French engineering!

Bought the Markins, FYI.