Options

Ch.68 - Blurred lines and choices

chandichandi Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
edited July 8, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
hello all,

I know the blur is not the subject in either of the two pics below, but do you think they fit the challenge description?

Thanks for any C&C.

1. Light sabre (traffic moving across a hydrant) click here for EXIF
78825400-L.jpg

2. Golden Gate (a yacht crosses under the bridge) click here for EXIF
79639343-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    athosathos Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    both are pretty strong shots. you really couldnt go wrong with either.

as grand of a vista the GGB shot is, i like the first even better. i think it would be worth a shot without a firehydrant, though that may give it a nice anchor. the flowers on the bushes behind make a perfect setting.

also, as always, i think both shots would benefit from a simple solid border. pictures look best framed to me. not a fancy border though.
    www.simplyathos.com

Gear
    *Canon 40D: 17-55IS - 70-300IS - 100mm Macro - Sigma 10-20EX
    *Imagination
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    # 1 and I like the hydrant. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

#2 is a really cool shot but San Francisco and the bridge are the subject and the yacht is a minor blur that took me a while to find. With #1, it IS the picture.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    Yeah, I'd go with the first one. As has been mentioned, the blur of the lights doesn't really stand out in the second, but the first is nicely geometric and nicely framed with the hydrant.
  • Options
    SilikSilik Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    I really like the first, w/ the hydrant, but would probably crop a smidgen off of the right of it so there're about the same amount of light flowers on both sides.
  • Options
    chandichandi Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    Thanks for the help with deciding guys. #1 it shall be.

Athos - I've experimented without the hydrant, but the picture looks bland. So I'll leave it in - and I added a small border like you suggested to the final pictures I posted for the contest. Thanks for the suggestion.

Silik - I agree with you, I cut of a bit on the right and it does look a bit more balanced. That's the final picture I posted for the contest. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    I like both photos. The seoncd one has a lot of details of the bridge and its surroundings and it does have motion blur from the boat travelling underneath the bridge, but the first one does have more distinct blur. Its more like an abstract photograph. I would have changed the title though. "Light Saber" is cool, but something more dramatic would be better. I was thinking, "Speed of Light", or something in that matter. Light Saber soudns too starwars'ish. rolleyes1.gif

good luck thumb.gif
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    The hydrant is pretty cool! The motion of the headlights is pretty strong in that one. Nice work!