Options

Newbie here...

chandichandi Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
edited April 15, 2006 in Wildlife
Hello all,

After a faux-pas and delurking myself on the wrong section of the forums, I figured I'd atleast post the picture in the right place...

I recently got a Sony R1, and am overwhelmed by the entire new world of photography opening up to me (big upgrade from prosumer digital cameras with tiny lenses and tinier sensors). At the moment, I LOVE playing with shallow depth of field, and I just can't get enough of it.

Enough words I guess, here's my intro pic and the EXIF: http://chandi.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=63495834

63495834-L-1.jpg

Negative feedback greatly appreciated :thumb

Comments

• Options
    Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    Welcome Chandi. Your snail-pic is very nice. I hope to see more of your work in the near future.

Dick.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
  • Options
    markosmarkos Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    I love it, it's wonderful how you made snail's way sharp only, anyway I would go more to the left side. It's always safer to leave place in front instead of behind, but snails could be an exception I guess. Cheers from another newbie, Marko
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    Welcome
    only thing missing is garlic and butter :eat :D
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 14, 2006
    bfjr wrote:
    Welcome
    only thing missing is garlic and butter :eat :D

15524779-Ti.gif and pineapple?

Welcome Chandi
    Hi Ben wave.gif
  • Options
    RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    Neat photo, the sharpness of the snail and the blurred background are very nice. I also feel it would be better with more canvas in front of the snail (almost always good with "wild" life) and I think I would crop a little off the bottom as well.

Welcome to Dgrin wave.gif
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2006
    Welcome to Dgrin.wave.gif

Good sharp with fine colors. I agree with Steve about havong more room for the snail to the elft of the shot.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2006
    [quote=markos it, it's wonderful how you made snail's way sharp only, anyway I would go more to the left side. It's always safer to leave place in front instead of behind, but snails could be an exception I guess.[/quote]

Welcome!

90% of the time I'd agree with the "room to go" guideline, but I agree with Marko here - for this snail it works for me. Great shot.
  • Options
    chandichandi Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited April 15, 2006
    Thanks for the welcome and feedbacks folks thumb.gif Glad to be a part of this forum.

The 'room to go' makes sense and I actually took a pic with the space in front of the snail, but the snail didn't come out as sharp ( I didn't focus right 11doh.gif )

Here's that pic and EXIF :
    64578507-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2006
    Great shots. I agree with everything that has already been said and that the comp on the second is better but you are right that the focus is a little off. I like the colors in these shots as well.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto