Options

Art Prints on Canvas - one really REALLY BIG

spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
edited February 20, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
I have been showing my photos in local galleries for a year or so. I am always looking for something new to do with my images. I tried a couple of canvas prints in December. I usually only see big close-up flowers on canvas so I wasn't sure my urban stuff would carry.

I got a good response so I decided to do a whole show this month.

People LOVE these canvas prints! I can't keep the stuff on the walls. And they look really impressive as you go big.

I had a patron who wanted me to go bigger than the 24"x36" he saw in the gallery. I worked with the lab and they totally hooked me up.

Check this out: 40"x60"!!

56872947-L.jpg

Here's a little storyboard about how I put them together:

TIPS:

- Do not get the gloss finish on canvas. It's too delicate and should be
under glass. AND it comes off with water. Get the matte finish.
- Do not stretch the canvas too tight or you'll break the image.
- Sand the front edges of your stretcher bars if they have a sharp corner.
- Make sure you have a non-abrasive work surface for stretching or you'll scratch the image.

Where I get My Stuff:
- stretcher bars - Dick Blick or Utrecht Art or any art store would work
- canvas stretching pliers - Dick Blick or any art store
- canvas print or giclee - Pixel Outpost I like them, but shop around and find your favorite
- acrylic paint and brushes - Utrecht makes my favorite paint

Make something big!

cheers!
Trish

Comments

• Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    Wow. :oogle Simply wow.

I love the choice to paint the edges rather than leave them bare canvas.thumb.gif
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2006
    cabbey wrote:
    Wow. :oogle Simply wow.

I love the choice to paint the edges rather than leave them bare canvas.thumb.gif
    Thanks cabbey! Painting the edges is part of the fun of putting these together. I try to pick images that already look a little like a painting so they make sense on canvas.

cheers!
    Trish
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    Big prints rock!
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    i know this just follows the measurbators theory but what camera was that taken with?
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    Oh Daniel!
    Daniel Daniel Daniel :nah

As Yoda would say:

“Camera matters not. Look at this one. Judge it by it's pixel count, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For our ally is exposure and composition, and a powerful ally it is. Creativity creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Artistic beings are we, not crude pixel peepers. You must feel the images around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the subject and the camera.”

yoda.jpg
    DanielB wrote:
    i know this just...
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2006
    D70
    DanielB wrote:
    i know this just follows the measurbators theory but what camera was that taken with?
    I took this with my crappy 2-year old Nikon D70 (6 mpix). I had the 24-120VR on it at the time.

Not really crappy. I love this camera. But I'm starting to feel the pressure to upgrade.

It's a crazy thing about these "computer" cameras. I used my first camera for 20 years.

Good thing we don't have to throw the lenses away too!! :):

cheers,
    Trish
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    Yo Trish! clap.gifclap.gif

Permission to copy this tutorial to http://dgrin.smugmug.com tutorials section?

bowdown.gifbowdown.gif
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 19, 2006
    very nice Trish! thumb.gif

please don't upgrade from the D70... we purists have to stick together!
  • Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    First off: Awesome print, Trish! I'd love to see this print in real life.
    spider-t wrote:
    ...Not really crappy. I love this camera. But I'm starting to feel the pressure to upgrade.
    I had the same feeling :D .. when my D70's lightmeter broke down and i had to buy a backup camera. I was thinking about buying a D200 and have the D70 as a backup. But no D200 to be found except on eBay..
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    I'm nearby
    Altho I hardly ever get into "the city." Some day when I have some energy I'll have to check out one of these shows.

Do you do anything special to make these large prints? I have an 8 megapixel camera, so I guess I could do this too if I wanted to.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2006
    granted!
    Andy wrote:
    Yo Trish! clap.gifclap.gif

Permission to copy this tutorial to http://dgrin.smugmug.com tutorials section?

bowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    Definitely. Thanks!
    Trish
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2006
    spider-t wrote:
    Definitely. Thanks!
    Trish

Done. THANK YOU, Trish clap.gifclap.gif

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1217201/
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2006
    My Printer = Pixel Outpost
    Dee wrote:
    Altho I hardly ever get into "the city." Some day when I have some energy I'll have to check out one of these shows.

Do you do anything special to make these large prints? I have an 8 megapixel camera, so I guess I could do this too if I wanted to.

That would be great if you came to a show! If you'd like, I can add you to my mailing list. I send out notices before each one.

I don't do anything special to make the large prints. I didn't even shoot raw.

You can definitely make a large canvas print too. I can't promise you can go 40"x60". It's best to work with the printer directly with your particular image. Let them do any upsizing that is required. They know their equipment better. You just send them your jpg or tiff.

I used Pixel Outpost to do my printing. These guys are really awesome.

I wasn't expecting much when I first tried them because their prices are so reasonable compared to others that make canvas prints (a.k.a. giclee prints).

Just don't get the glossy finished canvas. Get the matte.

cheers,
    Trish
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006

As Yoda would say:

“Camera matters not. Look at this one. Judge it by it's pixel count, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For our ally is exposure and composition, and a powerful ally it is. Creativity creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Artistic beings are we, not crude pixel peepers. You must feel the images around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the subject and the camera.”

rolleyes1.gif

thats why i said
    i know this just follows the measurbators theory
    blbl.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2006
    Trish thats fantastic! thanks so much for sharing.. I'm inspired!!! great work congrats!clap.gif1drink.gif
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2006
    Trish,

Nice work. Keep us posted about any shows you have comming up, there a few of us in the bay area who could drop by for a look and visit.

Sam
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2006
    Bay Area Folks - an email list about shows
    Sam wrote:
    Trish,

Nice work. Keep us posted about any shows you have comming up, there a few of us in the bay area who could drop by for a look and visit.

Sam
    Thanks!!

If any of the bay area folks are interested in hearing about my upcoming shows, you may add yourself to my email list here:

http://www.trishtunney.com/gallery/384508

cheers!
    Trish
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    Trish good work and very cool canvas photos
    I love doing these and I also am always trying to do more with my photos
    Thanks for great links and great tutorial

Fred
  • Options
    ScovoPhotoScovoPhoto Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited April 4, 2006
    So Cool!
    Thank You! For introducing the concept of these big art prints! This is so cool, it has given me a whole bunch of new ideas and energy. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2006
    ScovoPhoto wrote:
    Thank You! For introducing the concept of these big art prints! This is so cool, it has given me a whole bunch of new ideas and energy. Thanks!

Excellent! Although, it hardly looks like you need any new ideas, looking through your galleries.

I love that you give yourself assignments.

cheers,
    Trish
  • Options
    Lee MasseyLee Massey Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    Shay,

That was one of the funniest things I have read on dgrin. thumb.gif

Lee
    As Yoda would say:

• Options
    asamuelasamuel Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    would this wirk with smaller prints? what are your thoughts?
    where's the cheese at?

http://www.samuelbedford.com
  • Options
    asamuelasamuel Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006

As Yoda would say:

Is there a thread that makes this clear. Ive got the one hand clapping and heard the void of trees falling in my absence. but this confuses me...

How does exp comp and exposure help us with the final print quality? How do we push our megre means? If you spell it out I would like to get it.

See I have a 350D. bought it in good faith. Big investment, liking the results. However a freind of mine told me that even with this tech at this hunk of money I wouldnt viably be able to print anything larger than A4umph.gif .

Well my blood boiled so it did. it carnt be true I thought and maybe your reflections can explain to me why:D . Make me a happy man.
    where's the cheese at?

http://www.samuelbedford.com
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    asamuel wrote:
    See I have a 350D. bought it in good faith. Big investment, liking the results. However a freind of mine told me that even with this tech at this hunk of money I wouldnt viably be able to print anything larger than A4umph.gif.

Your 350D has 8mp....I used to shoot a KM A2, also 8MP.....MY local pro processor said it would make 30 X 40 inch prints no problem...remember the viewing distance also....the larger the print the farther away one is supposed to be when viewing it.....ok said I....but I want it tack sharp at 8 x 10 viewing distance....so I used Genuine fractals to upsize it to 30 x 40 inches....my client was EXTREMELY HAPPY......so was I.

Pro processors have RIP software for uprezing the files they recieve......

normally when a camera mfg'er says a camera will only out put this size...they are talking inkjst at home printing...from my experience.

Curious as to why your PORTFOLIO is passworded....I find that odd for a portfolio.ne_nau.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited April 23, 2006
    asamuel wrote:
    would this wirk with smaller prints? what are your thoughts?
    You can certainly print on canvas in a smaller scale. I've seen some really nice small stuff.

But I'm with Art. You friend is wrong about printing sizes with the camera you purchased, especially when it comes to ink. I've only got a 6 megapixel camera and I have had a lab create a 72 inch print using this type of printer.

And it's not just that it looks good from a distance. I put my face a few inches from the canvas and it's crazy sharp.

Start with a good image, and the upsizing does an increadible job. Blew me away. I was really surprised.

cheers,
    Trish
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2006
    spider-t wrote:
    You can certainly print on canvas in a smaller scale. I've seen some really nice small stuff.

But I'm with Art. You friend is wrong about printing sizes with the camera you purchased, especially when it comes to ink. I've only got a 6 megapixel camera and I have had a lab create a 72 inch print using this type of printer.

And it's not just that it looks good from a distance. I put my face a few inches from the canvas and it's crazy sharp.

Start with a good image, and the upsizing does an increadible job. Blew me away. I was really surprised.

cheers,
    Trish

15524779-Ti.gif15524779-Ti.gif15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    sussimathewsussimathew Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 12, 2008
    It's not exactly photo negative art
    [FONT=&quot]A couple of yrs ago I got the idea to work in this 'style' from looking at photograph negatives. With negatives the colors seem to be reverse and I thought 'why not reverse and/or alter the normal colors most artists use?' After a lot of trail and error I've come up with what I think are cool effects. It's not exactly photo negative art now but it was born from the concept. The problem is I'm clueless when asked to 'label' this style. Would you like to take a shot at doing so?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
  • Options
    ArchiTexasArchiTexas Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    [FONT=&quot]A couple of yrs ago I got the idea to work in this 'style' from looking at photograph negatives. With negatives the colors seem to be reverse and I thought 'why not reverse and/or alter the normal colors most artists use?' After a lot of trail and error I've come up with what I think are cool effects. It's not exactly photo negative art now but it was born from the concept. The problem is I'm clueless when asked to 'label' this style. Would you like to take a shot at doing so?[/FONT]

Interesting. I'd be interested in seeing some of your images, you should post a few or provide a link to where we can enjoy them.

I've created some work along similar lines, although I don't work with a negative image. The top two images were created on my old 5 Mp Lumix camera and upsized to the size you see printed. The bottom triptych was shot with my 10 Mp Olympus (three shots actually), they only needed modest upsizing - in Photoshop in this case. I agree with the comments made about Genuine Fractals, the algorithms it uses are simply amazing and provide outstanding results.

265521822_wHvD7-M.jpg

265522128_9svco-M.jpg

265522990_wRGYC-L.jpg

265522779_oLs26-M.jpg
    http://erfphotoart.com

Olympus E510 and Gigapan mount
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008

I too would love to see your work, sounds very interesting....I used to create what I called my alien landscapes....photos shot on transparency film (slide) and then printed on standard print (negative) paper....so the result was a negative print .......I would shoot the scene and have walmart or kmart print my proofs and then I would decide what needed to be changed and do that in my own darkroom...it was quite fun...........................
    Please do link us to your photos or post a few here for us to enjoy.....looks like i may have to start up again myself to see what lies hidden in the deep dark receases of my mind......:D......you might even give us an outlkine of your workflow so we can see how you accomplish your final work of Art.......thumb.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    A bit late to this thread but I thought I would throw this in...I recently had several large canvas's done at one of the major online canvas shops and they ask for 150 dpi images...the results were beautiful.

I am going to give it a go myself this week...I have all the material and Epson 7880 with a ImagePrint RIP so I should be set!
    Cheers,
    Monte