*** dgrin worldwide sky shoot 2005 - comments thread ***

MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
edited June 18, 2005 in The Big Picture
Well since Andy's "gone fishin'" (anyone else hear whistling? I swear I hear someone whistling...I wonder if Andy took Barney :rofl )

I thought I'd drop this in here. He can move it when he gets back-:D

anywho....

I came up with this idea this afternoon for a non-competitive challenge, see what you think.

I was gazing up at the beatiful afternoon sky on my way to work realizing again there would be "no shoot for you!!!" When I thought....

"Wouldn't it be cool if a bunch of Dgrinners could coordinate a group shot of the sky above their heads at precisely the same time?"

Set it up in advance, syncronize our watches, walk out side our homes or whatever, point the camera straight up and FIRE!

Now, I'm not real educated (but you knew that DIDN'T YOU :wxwax ), but I'm not naive enough to forget about time zones. Meaning, we'd need someone real good with clocks and math (remember: reading is hard :rofl ), to work out a schedule.

IF, it could be coordinated, I think it would be a blast to see all the pics posted of what we all saw at that moment in time.

Well? Is it a rose or a fart? (we can say "fart" can't we :uhoh , maybe I should have checked first....)
If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    You know what? This is a pretty damn good idea! thumb.gif

Be nice if we can time if to happen on a day when there's weather, but that may be too much to ask for. I assume we'll have to settle for a weekend. I can help forecast.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    IN !! thumb.gif
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    Cool, kind of like a flash mob. But without the mob, and probably without flash! :D
    Chris
    edited June 9, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    IN !! thumb.gif
    Dayum, I forgot about the world angle. National Geographic once did a show called "One World, One Day... The Weather." I reckon we can do something similar here. We'd have to reach out to as many countries as we can, but this could be even cooler than I'd imagined.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    Non competitive???!!!! I am all for it!

ginger (for some it will be night, hope there is a moon:): )
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited June 9, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Dayum, I forgot about the world angle. National Geographic once did a show called "One World, One Day... The Weather." I reckon we can do something similar here. We'd have to reach out to as many countries as we can, but this could be even cooler than I'd imagined.
    Shall we say...right now ? rolleyes1.gif
  • behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    Sounds good to me Mongrel but our skies will look pretty much the same. I'm in Merchantville.

Bear
  • rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    i think its a wonderful ideaclap.gifclap
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 9, 2005
    IN!

Now we just need someone to make it happen... Mongrel? Pick the time place, whatever, contact a mod to set up an announcement in the challenge forum, and we'll go for it.
    thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited June 9, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    IN!

Now we just need someone to make it happen... Mongrel? Pick the time place, whatever, contact a mod to set up an announcement in the challenge forum, and we'll go for it.
    thumb.gif
    I think we'll need a couple of things to make this work.

1/ Contact as many dgrinners in as many countires as possible, to see if they can shoot.

2/ Pick a day.

3/ Pick a time.
    either everyone shoots at the exact same second (which means a lot of night sky shots)
    or everyone shoots at the same time of day (say Noon in each country.)

Once we get the above logistics sorted, we can do this.

First step, bring this to the attention of members across all countries. We need a volunteer to go through the dgrin membership and make a list of folks not in the USA (I figure we won't have much troubkle getting US coverage.) Then I'll follow-up and contact them.

Any volunteers?
    Sid.
  • MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    Wow! Great responses...
    I didn't know about the National Geographic thing. I hope they don't mind if we borrow the concept...

Sid-you may have a point about coordinating it for noon or another time of day, it would certainly make it easier. But, if we can find a time world-wide that offers the most *light* it would be real cool to get the nightshots in.

Behr-doesn't matter that we are so close really, I've seen days where it was sunny in Medford Lakes and pouring down rain in Marlton. We just have to *believe* :D

Ok, so like Sid said, we need to:

1. Make up a list of *active* Dgrinners and their location.

Possible solution for that would be to start a thread asking who is interested and have them put down their name and location in the thread. We then tabulate the results from that. Give people a week or two to sign up.

2. Find out if their is a universal time over the next month or so when there will be the most available light-the longest day of the year is usually in July isn't it? Forgive my ignorance but, I don't know whether the "longest day of the year" is a world-wide phenomenom or not (I would think it would be, since it deals with the distance of the Earth to the sun). Someone should be able to answer this 'off the top' of their head I would think :D

3. Again, forgiving my ignorance, what time of year do the Scandinavian countries (and even Alaska if I'm not mistaken), have those like 18 hour days?
    If possible we should use that to our advantage.

I appreciate the response guys, makes me feel like I've moved from the barn to the front porch :D

I'll be checking back in regularly....

now where did I put that atlas........headscratch.gif
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 9, 2005
    Mongrel wrote:
    Well since Andy's "gone fishin'" (anyone else hear whistling? I swear I hear someone whistling...I wonder if Andy took Barney rolleyes1.gif )

I thought I'd drop this in here. He can move it when he gets back-:D

anywho....

I came up with this idea this afternoon for a non-competitive challenge, see what you think.

I was gazing up at the beatiful afternoon sky on my way to work realizing again there would be "no shoot for you!!!" When I thought....

"Wouldn't it be cool if a bunch of Dgrinners could coordinate a group shot of the sky above their heads at precisely the same time?"

Set it up in advance, syncronize our watches, walk out side our homes or whatever, point the camera straight up and FIRE!

Now, I'm not real educated (but you knew that DIDN'T YOU umph.gif ), but I'm not naive enough to forget about time zones. Meaning, we'd need someone real good with clocks and math (remember: reading is hard rolleyes1.gif ), to work out a schedule.

IF, it could be coordinated, I think it would be a blast to see all the pics posted of what we all saw at that moment in time.

Well? Is it a rose or a fart? (we can say "fart" can't we :uhoh , maybe I should have checked first....)
    Just need to use Greenwich Mean Time
    http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/
  • StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    IN:D

Currently 18.15 BST (GMT +1) 09 June in the UK, 13.15 in New York And 03.15 in Brisbane, Australia 10th June
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    Mongrel wrote:
    2. Find out if their is a universal time over the next month or so when there will be the most available light-the longest day of the year is usually in July isn't it? Forgive my ignorance but, I don't know whether the "longest day of the year" is a world-wide phenomenom or not (I would think it would be, since it deals with the distance of the Earth to the sun). Someone should be able to answer this 'off the top' of their head I would think :D

Would be delighted to do so. :D The longest day of the year is the same day for everyone north of the equator. That very same day is the shortest day for everyone south of the equator. Now, fast-forward 6 months, and you have the longest day for everyone south of the equator, and shortest for everyone north. The reason is not the distance to the sun, but rather the tilt of the earth's axis. This is also the reason why Aussies have summer when us 'Merkins have winter.
    3. Again, forgiving my ignorance, what time of year do the Scandinavian countries (and even Alaska if I'm not mistaken), have those like 18 hour days?
    That would be summer months, which is beginning now. So good timing! :)

I think this would be a cool idea.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
    edited June 9, 2005
    Ok guys...im going off line in about 12 hours after this post (currently 15.24 in new york) I would love to know exactly when you are going to do this prior to me going off line as i may well not be back for 2 weeks or more.

Will you know when the shot to be taken is within the next 12 hours ? That way i can still shoot & post later.

I assume you want to shoot on june 21 but what time ?

Gus
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    In
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    I might as well just post a light blue rectangle now. Its going to be the same anyways. Ah, SoCal.....:):
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8
    edited June 9, 2005
    Are you going to get every one to face the same way? say East for example
  • gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    If it's in the next 3 weeks any time will do for me i will be in the land of the midnight sun on my motorbike:D
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    Ireland is covered, just say when.
  • PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    hope mines during the day my camera is not good enough to get night shots!
  • GatorGator Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    Why would everyone have to shoot at the exact same time? What would it hurt to shoot say in the same 24 hr. period? Like the June 1st Worldphotoday 2005. You can view at www.worldphotoday2005.com
    edited June 9, 2005
    I'm back....
    First order of business...
    :D
    Gator wrote:
    Why would everyone have to shoot at the exact same time? What would it hurt to shoot say in the same 24 hr. period? Like the June 1st Worldphotoday 2005. You can view at www.worldphotoday2005.com
    *Because* the thought that all over the world at the *same* time we are all pressing the shutter and capturing the *same* instant in time. This to me has more of an impact then the 24hr. idea. We all (those of us that post pics) share what happens in our lives during the course of a normal day. This challenge would be to share a common experience at the same moment. I would LOVE however, to do the 24hr. thing at some point in time as well-it's a great idea.

Second order of business....

In order to get Gus onboard I'm trying to get this set asap. After a quick look here:

http://www.worldtimezone.com/

I'm leaning towards 7pm GMT. Obviously, for some of us that would actually be *June 22*, but that's not what's important (I hope...)ne_nau.gif

The countries between say Saudi Arabia and central China will most likely be in darkness (unless I'm really misunderstanding something...).

Gus, for instance, depending which side of Australia he's on (my apologies here Gus...) would be anywhere from 8am and 10am June 22.

Alaska on the other side would be at around 8am or so.

Does this sound right? We should pretty much have 'good' light from Alaska to Turkey. My humblest apologies to anyone in India (it would be midnight there I believe) and any other countries affected.

Well, how'd I do ne_nau.gif ?

PLEASE, make any corrections or suggestions to the above as soon as you can-I want to do this before Gus "goes offline".

Thanks,

Mongrel

FORGOT: as far as facing a certain direction? Any ideas? North? South? East? West? The nearest McDonalds?

Speak up fast-Gus' time is running out.....tick...tick...tick....mwink.gif
  • GatorGator Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    Nice smack! I have posted photos, and removed them. But, point well taken. Guess I won't be involved in this either.thumb.gif
    edited June 9, 2005
    Huh? I don't get it....
    Gator wrote:
    Nice smack!
    Smack? I'm sorry man, I wasn't trying to *smack* you eek7.gif . I was just clarifying why I wanted to set it up for the same time.

Gator wrote:
    I have posted photos, and removed them. But, point well taken.
    ahhh....I hope you didn't think I was trying to say that *you don't* post photos? NO, no, no! Not my intention at all again. I just meant that the collective 'we' whoever we are (yourself included), see little glimpses of each others lives when we post shots. Sorry if you took it another way.
    Gator wrote:
    Guess I won't be involved in this either.thumb.gif
    I hope it's not because of the above? If you don't like the idea or want to participate, that's cool. But if you are not participating because of something I said, that would be a shame. It should be nice and sunny in Fla. at that time :):

My apologies Gator, if I somehow offended you ne_nau.gif

Mongrel
  • JazzyJakJazzyJak Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    7 am on the 22nd is a bit early but definetly doable here in New Zealand, might get a nice pre-sunrise dawn shot. I think we get something like 5-6 hours of sunlight that day. I'd be up to give it a shot though.
    Diving headfirst into photography!
    www.cloningerimagery.com
    edited June 9, 2005
    Thanks JazzyJak!
    It's difficult to know just where to 'draw the line' :D

I am open to suggestions, it seemed after looking at it for a bit that this would put most Dgrinners in daylight (even though for some it would be very *early* daylight).

If you, or someone else thinks that moving it up or back an hour or so would be better then by all means let's talk about it.

Anyone know which side of Australia Gus lives?
    edited June 9, 2005
    Mongrel wrote:
    It's difficult to know just where to 'draw the line' :D

I am open to suggestions, it seemed after looking at it for a bit that this would put most Dgrinners in daylight (even though for some it would be very *early* daylight).

If you, or someone else thinks that moving it up or back an hour or so would be better then by all means let's talk about it.

Anyone know which side of Australia Gus lives?
    About half way up on the Right hand side by the sea
  • T4TotsT4Tots Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    Sounds like an awesome idea to me...and very similar to World Photo Day that I just participated in on June 1st.

I like the idea of the sky...one of my favorite subjects.
    Tina Folsom :lust
    Photographer and Mom of Four!
    Ok....
    I'm going to go ahead and set the date\time on the 'unnofficial' Dgrin Sky Challenge 2005 for:

Tuesday June 21, 2005 at 7pm GMT

For some of us it will already be June 22, but that's ok :D

Hurry up and let me know if this is OK....

I'd like to wait until Andy gets back and make sure this is cool, and request that a Sky Challenge sign up thread be stickied. This is so we can all log in if we are going to participate and where we will be shooting from.

NOW-

After giving it some thought, I think it would be best that we shoot *whatever* the most interesting view of the sky we can find for that date and time. Rather than limit it in anyway this will allow us some leeway for creativity and such. I *highly* suggest we shoot as wide as possible :D
    (Andy will go easier on me if we do...rolleyes1.gif )

Thanks again for all the positive interest in this idea, I look forward to seeing the results if we can pull it off.

(Also, if a moderator would be so kind to let me know whether I have overstepped my bounds by posting and pursuing this I would appreciate it. I *honestly* don't want to appear too aggresive :uhoh )