Options

de-lurk yourselves

Comments

• Options
    jmhjmh Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2005
    I'm so new I am not sure which pictures are good ones - so I'll add 3 of my personal favorites here. I'm a just-for-fun photographer so I always welcome comments that will help make my memories better and more fun to look at on rainy days...

#1 - my son in Grandpa's Navy hat
    32405395-M-1.jpg

#2 - My son in the Bluebonnets last year. I know this one needs adjustment but I haven't worked on it yet. I am still learning Photoshop basics...
    32405392-M.jpg

#3 - at a local park
    30515904-M.jpg
  • Options
    jmhjmh Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2005
    for the birds...
    And since birds seem popular - here are my recent bird shots:

33834049-M-1.jpg

33834063-M.jpg

33834104-M.jpg
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2005
    jmh wrote:
    I'm so new I am not sure which pictures are good ones - so I'll add 3 of my personal favorites here. I'm a just-for-fun photographer so I always welcome comments that will help make my memories better and more fun to look at on rainy days...

#1 - my son in Grandpa's Navy hat
    32405395-Ti-1.jpg

#2 - My son in the Bluebonnets last year. I know this one needs adjustment but I haven't worked on it yet. I am still learning Photoshop basics...
    32405392-Ti.jpg

wave.gif welcome jmh :D you've got some wonderful shots for your albums here!

thanks for de-lurking
  • Options
    G KG K Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2005
    funny guy :)
    davev wrote:
    My guess is about 1/500th of a second.rolleyes1.gif

BTW, it is a great shot.[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    marymary Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited September 4, 2005
    I'm coming out of lurking mode - actually, I've posted a few times. I'm absolutely hooked on this forum! I've been viewing photos, catching PS tips, finding photo tips, and looking for other hints and suggestions. It's really been fun digging through digigrin. :D

I live in Southern Callifornia and go to college at CSUSM. I have a family: husband, two teen girls and a spoiled dog. We have our own family website loaded full of photos from the past several years - I also have a web site of scanned photos that I built for my mother and my oldest daughter has her own site as well. We're geeks. I've gotten fairly good at PS, but just getting started with a decent camara. Bought a Canon Digital Rebel and have been enjoying it immensly!

One of my daughters plays on her high school volleyball team, which is the main reason why I want to get hints here - I need help with taking fast action shots in the poorly lit gyms. I'm looking forward to getting some good shots of her playing ball. In the meantime, I've been taking pictures of everything else.

ok - that should de-lurk me! :): Mary
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2005
    mary wrote:

ok - that should de-lurk me! :): Mary

wave.gif welcome, mary :D
  • Options
    marsmarkmarsmark Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited September 4, 2005
    Might as well...
    get it over with... I've been lurking for months now. I posted for the first time over in the techniques section a couple of weeks ago here .

I had an old Pentax Program Plus 35 mm SLR that I shot with since I was in high school - loved the flexibility of a SLR, but I was notorious for shooting half rolls of film and forgetting about them (pull a roll out to shoot something else, put it in a bag, and *poof* find it a year later and wonder what the heck it contains...). I wanted to go digital, but it wasn't until the 20D came out that I felt it was worth the plunge (I had a 1 Mpix P&S, but there was nothing serious about that).

I mostly shoot landscapes and "objects" (architecture, monuments, etc). I'd like to get better at shooting people and overall learn better technique, so that's why I'm here. I live in the suburbs of Denver, Colorado, so there's no shortage of nature-inspired images, yet I really haven't taken that many pictures here (funny, eh?).

Here's one I took this winter while on vacation in Rome:

20462783-L.jpg

-Mark
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2005
    marsmark wrote:
    get it over with... I've been lurking for months now. I posted for the first time over in the techniques section a couple of weeks ago here .

I had an old Pentax Program Plus 35 mm SLR that I shot with since I was in high school - loved the flexibility of a SLR, but I was notorious for shooting half rolls of film and forgetting about them (pull a roll out to shoot something else, put it in a bag, and *poof* find it a year later and wonder what the heck it contains...). I wanted to go digital, but it wasn't until the 20D came out that I felt it was worth the plunge (I had a 1 Mpix P&S, but there was nothing serious about that).

I mostly shoot landscapes and "objects" (architecture, monuments, etc). I'd like to get better at shooting people and overall learn better technique, so that's why I'm here. I live in the suburbs of Denver, Colorado, so there's no shortage of nature-inspired images, yet I really haven't taken that many pictures here (funny, eh?).

Here's one I took this winter while on vacation in Rome:

20462783-Ti.jpg

-Mark

wave.gif welcome, mark :D that's a dramatic shot - love love love that streaming sunlight!
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2005
    Great photo!!
    Great shot Mark!! I too love the light coming in on the shot. Reminds me of the Grand Central Station light picture.

-Adam

www.adamstravelphotography.com
  • Options
    RarrettGussellRarrettGussell Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited September 19, 2005
    First post
    I just found this site today thought i would give it a shot, anyway this is just a picture i took walking around down town charlotte.

[IMG][/img]CIMG0612.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2005
    I just found this site today thought i would give it a shot, anyway this is just a picture i took walking around down town charlotte.

wave.gif welcome to dgrin :D
  • Options
    DeadlockDeadlock Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited September 23, 2005
    Greetings
    Greetings from Scotland!!! thumb.gif

I'd first off just like to say thanks to all but especially to Ginger_55 and Andy for asking so many questions that could easily have come from my lips and for the epiphanies that ensued from the returning words of wisdom.

I started getting into photography several months ago with a Fuji s5000 which I bought for backpacking around OZ and Thailand with. However, I wasnt terribly impressed with either my skills or my camera so have been lurking here for the past couple of months to try to improve myself.

Yesterday I got my 7th Canon 20d (the previous 6 were returned due to hot pixels appearing in every evening shot at ISO 1600 with exposures over 1 second {sometimes far less}) I've paired this off with a sigma 18-200 and that is the full extent of my kit.

What I like most about this site is the quality of constructive criticism as that is what I feel I need in order to improve myself - and if I'm wrong, I'm sure you'll tell me :D

So to start the ball rolling - here is a link to a web site I just created and 4 shots I took the other day in Glasgow.
    http://www.katsoulis.plus.com/

See you around
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    Welcome to D/grin DL

7x 20D's eek7.gif

I cant bust my 1st one.
  • Options
    Deadlock wrote:
    Greetings from Scotland!!! thumb.gif

wave.gif
  • Options
    mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2005
    Greetings from Wisconsin!

I've been a vacation photographer for a few years ago. I would do a bunch of shooting and then put the camera away until the holidays or the next vacation. Now I've got the bug.

At this point I'm primarily interested in landscapes, citiscapes and nature photography. I'm particularly fond of ruins.

I have a Canon Powershot A95 and a Nikon Coolpix from 7-8 years ago, plus a little Pentax IQZoomEZY which actually has a roll of film in it. If it weren't so stinking miserable outside today I'd go out and finish it off. Oh, and I just bought a little tiny mini-tripod.

I have some sense of composition, but my technical skills are largely non-existent. I may break down and buy photoshop; I've been playing around with the GIMP.

Oh, and I'm still mad at myself for dropping a roll of film at Uxmal a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    mgd_harveymgd_harvey Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited September 26, 2005
    Hello from Cornwall, England
    Hi, my name's Mark and I'm a photographer - oh sorry, wrong forum - thought it was photographers anonymous :D

Sorry - just my sense of humour.

I've been into photography for several (too many for me to want to count) years, ever since I was given my first Kodak Instamatic but a lot more serioulsy from when I got my first SLR. I was taught a lot by my father, who used to belong to a Leica 'postal portfolio' - basically a forerunner to this sort of forum, I suppose.

Photography slipped a bit with studies and family, but I'm getting back into it now. I'm working towards a DSLR, probably a Canon EOS350D but in the meantime, I'm using my film SLR and my digital compact, which was bought a few years ago, mainly to take pictures for my website about Newquay in Cornwall.

I look forward to looking through the forums. So far, it seems a bit gentler than the camera club I used to go to.

Mark Harvey
    Mark
    --
    So much has changed in our photo-world, and yet basically nothing's changed - It's still the pictures that really matter. David Noton
  • Options
    edited September 26, 2005
    mgd_harvey wrote:
    I look forward to looking through the forums. So far, it seems a bit gentler than the camera club I used to go to.

Mark Harvey

wave.gif hiya mark! welcome to dgrin...

go see the whipping post critique forum, in the shots section lol3.gif
  • Options
    davidryandavidryan Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2005
    Hello all-- my first time posting here on digital grin-- its a fun site! Anyway-- here is my lowly contribution to the landscape forum... the land you see is diamond head, looking west, in Hawai'i. Thanks-- Ryan:D

andy wrote:
    we're giving away a one-year subscription to smugmug (basic account) to the best n00b contributor to dgrin. if you already have a smugmug account, i'll give an amazon gift certificate deal.gif

so lurkers - de-lurk yourselves, and start posting and contributing. it's easy to contribute in shots - tell the poster how you feel, you don't have to feel obligated to do a full critique (although there's a sticky in the challenge thread on how to critique) ... if all you can muster is "nice shot" well, that's okay too. but you can also tell the photographer how the shot makes you feel ...

in the other forums, contribute if you can answer a question - or if you notice something on page 2 or 3, and no replies, give it a courtesy bump so that others who may know the answer, will see it!

the mods will make nomination and we'll give away the prize in a month - and if this program works, we'll keep it up thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited September 29, 2005
    davidryan wrote:
    Hello all-- my first time posting here on digital grin-- its a fun site! Anyway-- here is my lowly contribution to the landscape forum... the land you see is diamond head, looking west, in Hawai'i. Thanks-- Ryan:D

gorgeous, david.

wave.gif welcome to dgrin!
  • Options
    PlayeTymePlayeTyme Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited October 8, 2005
    Did you see this view...

39107406-M.jpg

Officially de-lurked.

Playe
  • Options
    polartownjunkiepolartownjunkie Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2005
    hi, im new in a sense
    i dont frequent as frequently as i would

but that'll change YO
    since the origin of matter is matter
    shiny new thoughts are recycled clatter

down to my cell phone shooter,
    anyone have a decent early SD card digtal for grabs?

a doomed love
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2005
    hi, im new in a sense
    i dont frequent as frequently as i would

but that'll change YO

wave.gif Yo, thanks for sayin' hey!
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2005
    congratulations to snaphappy, our best "delurker" for the past few months. snaphappy, please send me an email, and you will get a one-year free smugmug account!

clap.gif
  • Options
    StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    I came, I lurked
    I've been here about a month now, reading and lurking. I have posted a couple times when I just couldn't resist.

I'm so glad I found this place and I have mapped out my designated parking space right over there
    >

So far I've laughed
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=20854
    I can relate to this one! Several others, but this one hit home.

I've cried - at the generosity and caring of this group helping someone with pictures of their Grandfather.

I've WOOOOOOOWed over Humongus' Travel Epic. I could not stop reading!

I've feel I've looked into the souls of some of the people in the Portraits section.

I hope to learn more and improve my photography and I can see this is a place where that can happen with a great group of people.

I don't feel qulified to critique the photos here, but I will try to participate and share my thoughts.

Officially delurked and now in sponge mode.

Dana:flash :flash
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2005

Officially delurked and now in sponge mode.

Dana:flash :flash

wave.gif welcome, dana :D
  • Options
    paintmanpaintman Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    De lurked
    andy wrote:
    wave.gif welcome, dana :D
    I've posted a few before but with 5 kids I am very busy with shooting all their sports. I shoot lots of photos make CD's and the parents love it.
    Here's one, I like the look in his eyes.

42912316-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2005
    paintman wrote:
    I've posted a few before but with 5 kids I am very busy with shooting all their sports. I shoot lots of photos make CD's and the parents love it.
    Here's one, I like the look in his eyes.

42912316-M.jpg

Mmm great shot. wave.gif Welcome to Dgrin thumb.gif
  • Options
    SnapHappySnapHappy Registered Users Posts: 328 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2005
    andy wrote:
    congratulations to snaphappy, our best "delurker" for the past few months. snaphappy, please send me an email, and you will get a one-year free smugmug account!

clap.gif

:wow

:cool Thank you very much.
  • Options
    JHavemanJHaveman Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited November 22, 2005
    De-lurking myself! I have been checking out some of the pics and I must say, there is a lot of excellent work here, and it appears to be a real friendly forum. It is nice to be here.
    Jeff
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2005
    JHaveman wrote:
    De-lurking myself! I have been checking out some of the pics and I must say, there is a lot of excellent work here, and it appears to be a real friendly forum. It is nice to be here.

wave.gif Welcome, Jeff!