Weekly Assignment #84: Comp card (with a twist)

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited July 25, 2008 in Assignments
Well, 4th of July and its fireworks season is over, plus I slacked out on a few weeks lately, so why don't we start this week early.
Comp card (or Zed card) was a fairly common thing in modeling world before the advent of MySpace, Facebook and other online services.

Here's a sample:
130549421_YSV5o-S.jpg

The format is still popular and the term is broadly used.

This week we're going to create one. The final result should an 8"x10" (or Letter, or A4 - choose your poison) page with 3 pictures - full height, upper body, head shot - and some contact info.

Sounds easy? Here comes a twist..:wink

N00b models are known to be, well, n00bs. They don't know much about posing and often try to strike the same pose over and over again. :dunno They also often don't have much of a different wardrobe. And it is still your responsibility as a photographer to try to create different looks.
So, to mimic that behaviour we're going to create a comp card of a.. statue :-) :deal :rofl Use different focal lengths, shooting angles and different lighting scenarios to make those three shots look different. To help you with that you don't have to take all three at the same time of day. Morning, midday and evening, or even long exposure night shot with the moonlight or street lighting can create enough versatility.

You entry should contain the final page, i.e. comp card itself (don't forget to add the contact info on your subject:-) and the originals of every frame that went into production. Setup shots are also welcome.

Let's see some comp cards!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• TexPhotogTexPhotog Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    Oh... I likes this one... thumb.gif
    Miguel
    www.kabestudios.com
    I use a little bit of everything gear wise...
    Nikon/Canon/Sony/GoPro/Insta360º/Mavic 2 Pro
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2008
    Do I have to be an established member to participate? I'm really new here, and I have taken a love to photography. I'm not much of a photographer, but I enjoy it. I would love to participate in the assignments so that I can become a better photographer.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2008
    Trevlan wrote:
    Do I have to be an established member to participate? I'm really new here, and I have taken a love to photography. I'm not much of a photographer, but I enjoy it. I would love to participate in the assignments so that I can become a better photographer.
    Everyone's welcome! It's not a contest/challenge, it's a class. Just follow the rules and you're in:-)! thumb.gif
    edited July 9, 2008
    Sweet! I already contacted a few of my lady friends and I'm ready to shoot this Saturday. Might be a day after the due date, but it'll come! :)
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • TexPhotogTexPhotog Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    Trevlan wrote:
    Sweet! I already contacted a few of my lady friends and I'm ready to shoot this Saturday. Might be a day after the due date, but it'll come! :)

Make sure you read the deal.gif
    So, to mimic that behaviour we're going to create a comp card of a..

statue :-)
    Miguel
    www.kabestudios.com
    I use a little bit of everything gear wise...
    Nikon/Canon/Sony/GoPro/Insta360º/Mavic 2 Pro
    edited July 9, 2008
    Trevlan wrote:
    1) no due date, just fresh pics
    2) statues only..deal.gif
    edited July 9, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    1) no due date, just fresh pics
    2) statues only..deal.gif

Hahahahaha. Reading is fundamental! I'll still take the pics of my lady friend on Saturday. Now to find a statue! LMFAO.wings.gif
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Bet you thought we were all getting lazy on you! 284577820_HUKuR-S.gif

334270380_SzzWT-M-1.jpg

And the three originals per your instructions. All shot within a few minutes of each other, and I didn't think to change my lens! All with 100mm 2.8

Backlighting and ambient. f/4.5, 1/13

334269579_Q3Cjy-M-1.jpg

Bare strobe 1/16 power low camera left, f/5.6, 1/160

334269652_R8wXW-M-1.jpg

Bare strobe 1/16 power camera right, f/5.6, 1/160. Should've used a reflector on his right for a little more separation, but he's in a nook - nothing I had would stay up there and my VAL wasn't available. rolleyes1.gif I know, excuses, excuses...

334270070_QfWFQ-M.jpg
    Don't know why that watermark is still there headscratch.gif...I took the watermark off of these before I posted...guess Smuggy is a bit slow with that today.

Now to think of a creative way to shoot a streetlight. rolleyes1.gif
    edited July 18, 2008
    OffTopic wrote:
    Bet you thought we were all getting lazy on you!
    Thank you, Lori! Congrats on the first compcard! thumb.gif
  • spb13spb13 Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Here is what I came up with.

336175803_773q5-L.jpg

Originals
    336128815_9GzeR-L.jpg

336176302_QS2U5-L.jpg

336176795_hHkCq-L.jpg
    edited July 21, 2008
    spb13 wrote:
    Here is what I came up with.
    Originals
    Sean, thank you! thumb.gif
    Now I only wich the lighting and angles were more different for different shots...ne_nau.gif
  • spb13spb13 Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Sean, thank you! thumb.gif
    Now I only wich the lighting and angles were more different for different shots...ne_nau.gif

Yeah me too, I was worried about calling too much attention to myself. I am not sure how Target feels about people taking pics in their garden center. mwink.gif

I am going to keep looking for another model with better accessibility.
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited July 22, 2008
    hmmm...I will see what I can come up with....if it stops raining. Looks like fun.
    edited July 25, 2008
    Jack and Jill
    We have had 3 straight days of rain. I had started taking these pics on my deck the evening I posted my last post on this thread...but it started to drizzle and I didn't want to ruin my camera. Today we had a break and the sun came out in the evening for about 15 minutes....so I took the opportunity to finish the shoot!
    338304764_qp5jW-L-1.jpg

These first two were taken the first evening with a flash. The statues were wet and had a high sheen. If you look closely you might be able to see the water drops coming off the girls hair and skirt. BTW...I did not do any selected coloring on these...this is the acutal color...with the greyness of day it really muted the color. I like it.
    338304299_agCgP-L-3.jpg

338305599_ZAKxv-L-3.jpg

This last one was taken when the sun peeked out this evening...
    338306548_tmwK9-L-3.jpg

You can see the rest of Jack and Jill's portfolio HERE.
    edited July 25, 2008
    JAG wrote:
    We have had 3 straight days of rain. I had started taking these pics on my deck the evening I posted my last post on this thread...but it started to drizzle and I didn't want to ruin my camera. Today we had a break and the sun came out in the evening for about 15 minutes....so I took the opportunity to finish the shoot!

These first two were taken the first evening with a flash. The statues were wet and had a high sheen. If you look closely you might be able to see the water drops coming off the girls hair and skirt. BTW...I did not do any selected coloring on these...this is the acutal color...with the greyness of day it really muted the color. I like it.

This last one was taken when the sun peeked out this evening...

You can see the rest of Jack and Jill's portfolio HERE.

This is awesome! clap.gif Thank you very much, great entry! thumb.gif
    edited July 25, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    This is awesome! clap.gif Thank you very much, great entry! thumb.gif

Thanks Nikolai...after my last lesson with the lampost...I was really striving to please you this time the first time around. Mission accomplished!wings.gif