Natasha's Story

ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,905 moderator
edited July 4, 2008 in The Big Picture
This is a bit long but worth a watch.

Photographer Rick Smolan visited Korea on assignment for Time Magazine in the late 70's. His assignment was to photograph Amerasian children in Korea.
What happened is an amazing story. It is the story of one child adopted by an American couple from Atlanta.

Story
Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?

Comments

• CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2008
    Amazing story indeed.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2008
    That was simply amazing. Thank you so much for sharing.
  • Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2008
    I looked just in case but, like so much viedo on the web, it has no setting for viewing captions ( doubt there were even any created). Thus, it is inaccessable (sp?) to those of us with enough of a hearing problem to not be able to understand voice.

Jane B.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,789 moderator
    edited July 4, 2008
    Awesome story! thumb.gifthumb

I can't believe that he took the time to make the shot coming down the stairwell filled with smoke. 9496500-Ti.gifwow That takes some kind of dedication.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • saltydogsaltydog Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2008
    Charming story, but I have to say that I found it somewhat self-serving and lacking in depth.

Photojournalist rescues Korean-American girl doomed to life in misery, hmmm.

I have to say, I liked the girl who took it upon herself to assign older kids to care for the little ones at the Korean orphanage a lot better than the generic beauty pageant contestant and cheerleader headed for marriage she became later on.

She is smiling in every photograph Rick Smolan presented. Nobody can tell me that a little girl which suddenly is yanked from all that is familiar to her by virtual strangers, brought to a country where she doesn't speak the language and doesn't understand the culture would display nothing but exuberance at the sight of photographs of her new "relatives".

I myself certainly would have liked to hear a more in-depth story about her adjustment, her sense of identity, and her changing relationship towards her country of birth as she grew older.

But that's just me, the eternal skeptic mwink.gif.

J.
    all that we see or seem
    is but a dream within a dream
    - Edgar Allan Poe

http://www.saltydogphotography.com
    http://saltydogphotography.blogspot.com
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,905 moderator
    edited July 4, 2008
    saltydog wrote:
    I myself certainly would have liked to hear a more in-depth story about her adjustment, her sense of identity, and her changing relationship towards her country of birth as she grew older.

There are 30 plus years between the start of the story and today (well, 2007 at least.). And I'm certain that not all was as rosy as the few minutes we have seen in this short film. There are references to the difficulty of growing up though they are not dwelt on.

Jane, I tried googling around for a captioned version of this. I don't see one. It would be great to see more attention to CC for YouTube and other video formats on the web. I don't know if software like Dragon Naturallyspeaking would help at all--it isn't the same as CC because it cannot distinguish between speakers but it might be something to look at.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?