• Gear
  • Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Support SmugMug Video Support Sony AVCHD m2ts files?

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 1  of  2
1 2
Old Jun-28-2008, 04:42 PM
joshhuntnm is offline joshhuntnm OP
Las Cruces, NM
Sony AVCHD m2ts files?
I am using a Canon hg10 hard drive based high def camcorder along with sony vegas platinum to edit.

When I go to render hd files, i wants to save them as m2t files, which don't seem to upload. do you support m2t files? if not what kind of high def files do you support. I couldn't see where vegas would write an h.264 file.

Any advice would be helpful.
Old Jun-28-2008, 07:56 PM
brown224 is offline brown224
Beginner grinner
Sony AVCHD m2ts files?
Hello,

I am a Pro user and recently purchased a Sony 1080i camcorder that seems to save the HD video as .m2ts files. When I try to upload those to my Smug Mug account it says that it is an unsupported file type. Does Smug Mug plan on supporting this soon, or is there another solution available??? Any information would be GREATLY appreciated!
Old Jun-29-2008, 04:28 AM
docwalker is offline docwalker
Kilted SmugMug Hero
I merged your 2 threads together as you both have similar questions. The answer is the same.

We recently had a discussion about this very issue in the old Video Support Thread. Check starting at post 600 here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?...ighlight=avchd

MTS and M2ts are similar in that we cannot support them at this time.

The files typically are very large and given that most people will edit them anyway, could use a little compression. If you convert or save these file into .mov, h.264, or one of the other supported formats they will load to SmugMug.

It is possible that we will support them in the future. For now, converting is the only option.

If you are not interested in using an editor, try a converter like MPEG Stream Clip from www.squared5.com

--Doc

About.me
Old Jun-30-2008, 09:13 AM
mdraughn is offline mdraughn
Big grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshhuntnm
I couldn't see where vegas would write an h.264 file.
I believe h.264 is one of the MPEG-4 formats, also known as AVC.

Vegas supports output in the MainConcept AVC/AAC format and the Sony AVC format. SmugMug takes the first one, and should probably take the second one, but I haven't tried it.
Old Jul-15-2008, 11:49 AM
retrato is offline retrato
Big grins
Convert AVCHD / M2TS File to MPEG-4 file format
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdraughn
I believe h.264 is one of the MPEG-4 formats, also known as AVC.

Vegas supports output in the MainConcept AVC/AAC format and the Sony AVC format. SmugMug takes the first one, and should probably take the second one, but I haven't tried it.
I got my Sony HDR-SR12 two weeks ago and have since been trying to convert M2TS video files to MPEG-4 format. After many hours of experimenting with various softwares (freeware and purchased), I came up with the following procedure:
  1. Capture the handycam video using Sony's Picture Motion Browser. It creates an .m2ts file
  2. Import the m2ts file into Cyberlink PowerDirector v7 (purchased software).
  3. In PowerDirector, "Create File" using "Production Wizard". Output to AVC.MPEG4 (file created will have .m2ts extension)
  4. Rename m2ts to mp4. Uploaded this mp4 file to Smugmug. See result: http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/54379...945_rBavV-A-LB
  5. I used the default profile (720x480) as I'm not familiar with creating a custom profile for 1280x720.
    Can someone help me in setting up a profile for 1280x720 as I don't know much about what to put in the parameters (see screenshot below)
Attachment 24314

Suggestions/comments will be greatly appreciated. Maybe someone can come up with a simpler solution. I already tried MPEG Streamclip in conjunction with QuickTime Alternative - I didn't have success in using these.
Old Jul-15-2008, 01:34 PM
LiquidAir is offline LiquidAir
Major grins
AVCHD discs are going to be H.264 video mulitplexed in a MPEG2 Transport Stream (hence the .m2ts extension). Each of the common MPEG standards (1, 2, 4) specifies a set of video codecs, audio codecs, and a systems part which describes how audio and video are packaged together and delivered.

Digital Television, DVD, Blu-Ray, and AVCHD (which is a subset of BluRay) use the MPEG2 systems layer, but allow for MPEG4 video (AVC/H.264). Since the video in your .m2ts file is already AVC, it is a bit of a shame to re-transcode it when all you really need to do is repackage it for upload. However, transport streams are complicated and a bit messy so many software packages won't deal with them directly.

I did a quick web search and came up with this site which may have a tool which solves your problem:
http://www.squared5.com/
I have not tried it so I can't warantee it. Also it does not specifically say it supports AVC so it may have trouble pulling out the video. Nominally AVC is muxed in transport streams the same way MPEG is, but you never know what assumptions the software will make.

As for configuring your AVC encoder, the correct settings are highly content dependent; there is no right answer. To start just run with the defaults and adjust only if you are not happy with the results.
Old Jul-15-2008, 02:04 PM
retrato is offline retrato
Big grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAir
I did a quick web search and came up with this site which may have a tool which solves your problem:
http://www.squared5.com/
I have not tried it so I can't warantee it. Also it does not specifically say it supports AVC so it may have trouble pulling out the video. Nominally AVC is muxed in transport streams the same way MPEG is, but you never know what assumptions the software will make.
Thanks for your comments.

As I mentioned, I did try MPEG Streamclip from www.squared5.com (which required QuickTime Alternative for MPEG-2 playback) - it's not able to read M2TS file.

I just want to be able to upload to Smugmug, videos captured by my Sony HD-SR12.
Old Jul-15-2008, 06:15 PM
peestandingup is offline peestandingup
Major grins
Sony does something weird (proprietary) to their AVCHD files I've read. This is kinda Sony's thing with lots of their other formats. Which is a good reason to stay away from them.
Old Jul-15-2008, 08:15 PM
LiquidAir is offline LiquidAir
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by peestandingup
Sony does something weird (proprietary) to their AVCHD files I've read. This is kinda Sony's thing with lots of their other formats. Which is a good reason to stay away from them.
Actually AVCHD is more-or-less a Sony proprietary format and it is not endorsed by the Blu-Ray standards committee. That said, as far as I know the primary compatibility issue with AVCHD is that it is typically written to red laser discs and some Blu-Ray players will only play high def content from blue laser discs (why? its political...). That and, well, the standard is still very new so compatibility is generally an issue with Blu-Ray. I have not seen anything about Sony's AVCHD that would cause problems for software which knows how to read standard Blu-Ray discs. The real issue here is that Blu-Ray/AVCHD is still very new so the software is just not out there yet.

Drifting away from the OP, if you are making high def discs to play in a player for some reason, I would actually suggest using AVCHD and dealing with the compatibility issues because Blu-Ray media is still so expensive. The only Blu-Ray player I would consider buying right now is the Playstation and it handles AVCHD just fine.
Old Jul-16-2008, 11:57 AM
peestandingup is offline peestandingup
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAir
Actually AVCHD is more-or-less a Sony proprietary format and it is not endorsed by the Blu-Ray standards committee. That said, as far as I know the primary compatibility issue with AVCHD is that it is typically written to red laser discs and some Blu-Ray players will only play high def content from blue laser discs (why? its political...). That and, well, the standard is still very new so compatibility is generally an issue with Blu-Ray. I have not seen anything about Sony's AVCHD that would cause problems for software which knows how to read standard Blu-Ray discs. The real issue here is that Blu-Ray/AVCHD is still very new so the software is just not out there yet.

Drifting away from the OP, if you are making high def discs to play in a player for some reason, I would actually suggest using AVCHD and dealing with the compatibility issues because Blu-Ray media is still so expensive. The only Blu-Ray player I would consider buying right now is the Playstation and it handles AVCHD just fine.
Not Blu-ray but i was referring to their AVCHD files that are produced by their camcorders. I dont know what the exact issue is, maybe its just simply camera compatibility. But I've read in lots of forums people having issues editing in the new 3rd party apps with Sony-made AVCHD files from their consumer camcorders.
Old Jul-20-2008, 04:46 PM
MetzPhoto is offline MetzPhoto
Beginner grinner
Sad Sony AVC HD file solutions (M2TS, MTS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrato
I got my Sony HDR-SR12 two weeks ago and have since been trying to convert M2TS video files to MPEG-4 format. After many hours of experimenting with various softwares (freeware and purchased), I came up with the following procedure
Suggestions/comments will be greatly appreciated. Maybe someone can come up with a simpler solution. I already tried MPEG Streamclip in conjunction with QuickTime Alternative - I didn't have success in using these.
I am trying to come up with a solution also. I have a Sony Handycam HC7. I have Vegas Movie Studio 8 (Platinum).

So far I got lucky with one file that I rendered as a WMV. Others I rendered the same way do not work. I have uploaded many files, and no dice. (A second file would play, but the aspect ratio was messed up).

Has anyone had success with 720 or SD rendering with Vegas (for SM)? How did you do it?
Old Aug-08-2008, 10:00 AM
JDSX is offline JDSX
Big grins
I went through all this and found a very easy solution, Cyberlink's PowerDirector. I convert my mt2s files to mpg with it.
Old Jul-09-2009, 07:01 AM
ChancyRat is offline ChancyRat
Soooo Beginner Grinner
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwalker
I merged your 2 threads together as you both have similar questions. The answer is the same.

We recently had a discussion about this very issue in the old Video Support Thread. Check starting at post 600 here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?...ighlight=avchd

MTS and M2ts are similar in that we cannot support them at this time.

The files typically are very large and given that most people will edit them anyway, could use a little compression. If you convert or save these file into .mov, h.264, or one of the other supported formats they will load to SmugMug.

It is possible that we will support them in the future. For now, converting is the only option.

If you are not interested in using an editor, try a converter like MPEG Stream Clip from www.squared5.com

--Doc
I'm exhausted now trying to fix this problem. Do I understand this and have I done it right and is there anything else I can do?

I have a Sony camcorder that records HD in m2ts.
I use Adobe Premiere Elements. It appears that PE7 cannot convert the .m2ts file to a HD format SmugMug accepts.

The H.264 produces an m2t file that SmugMug cannot accept.

The FLV file was incredibly small (from a WMV file of 139 mb down to 13 mb), and the Quicktime non-MPEG and MPEG4 files were even worse, down to 2 mb. I looked for the highest settings but could not retain HD quality in the FLV and Quicktime files. If someone could specify settings I should choose?

The WMV version, which seems to be the only one that produces HD quality, is not accepted. It apparently uses a codec WMA 9.2.

I downloaded MPEG StreamClip from www.squared5.com, and while the instructions say it can convert m2t files to MPEG4, and I was able to open the file, my attempt to convert it produced an error message something like cannot detect frame rate or size (?). There are no instructions to explain that error.

I also downloaded http://www.iskysoft.com/video-converter-windows.html. This could not read the .m2t file (it would read .m2ts, but that is my original file, not the edited version which has jpegs and titles and when converted to H.264, produces an .m2t), but did read the WMV file, but the result added thick black bars on the sides, and seemed to squinch the image in. I tried a 2nd time specifying 16:9 but that did not help. If there are custom settings I should try, I don't know what they are.

The context for this is that the folks at muvipix also tried to help, assuming there must be a HD format PE7 produces from .m2ts files, that SmugMug can accept. It appears not?

Please talk to me like a kindergardner, I wrote these technical sentences but what I hear in my head is more like blah-blah-blah. I need step-by-step stuff. I'm also desparate to make this work, as I don't want to throw PE7 or my camcorder out with the bathwater. THANK YOU.
Old Jul-09-2009, 07:16 AM
Kilted SmugMug Hero
Chancey, can you tell me what formats that PE7 does create? Ignore the m2ts issue for for now. The problem is we need to find an application that work works with m2ts and exports to a support format. I know that other users have used PE in the past with some success. It may be that you were using the wrong export settings.

The other option is to export from PE in a common standard format and run it through Streamclip then you can export to a SmugMug support format and upload that. I have done that in the past trying to test something for a customer.

About.me
Old Jul-09-2009, 07:27 AM
Soooo Beginner Grinner
Quote:
Chancey, can you tell me what formats that PE7 does create? Ignore the m2ts issue for for now. The problem is we need to find an application that work works with m2ts and exports to a support format. I know that other users have used PE in the past with some success. It may be that you were using the wrong export settings.

The other option is to export from PE in a common standard format and run it through Streamclip then you can export to a SmugMug support format and upload that. I have done that in the past trying to test something for a customer.
Are you saying I have to lose the HD?

Unfortunately I'm not at the screen to give you a definitive list, but this is from the helper person at muvipix - and I have tried all of these:

Quote:
The H.264 1080i option is high definition MPEG4, it exports as .m2t ... PE7's equivalent to the AVCHD .m2ts

PE7 will export all of the formats you list as high definition if you select the correct preset or adjust the preset in Advanced.

So PE7 can export the following to high definition:
FLV
WMV
Quicktime
MPEG2
H.264 (MPEG4)

Yes, you can export as HD directly from Premiere Elements in either WMV or Flash format (as well as MPEG2 and H.264).

For WMV just go to Share>Personal Computer>Windows Media. NOTE... you need to scroll down the options to see Windows Media. Then in the presets you can choose HD 1080i or HD 720p. If you are posting on the internet it is probably better to export as HD 720p.

There are no presets in PE7 to export as HD Flash. You could try to do a custom preset. Select Adobe Flash Video as your export option. Then select a Flash Video 8 preset. Then click Advanced and you can go in and set the frame size, you could use 1280x720. then up the bit rate to give the file size/quality that you would like. try a few exports to determine the right setting... try 3000kb/s
It seemed to me HD in Quicktime and FLV is not an option based on my tries but maybe I need additional settings?

The only file that seemed worthwhile was the WMV file - is there a way to change that pesky codec?

Are you saying I have to lose the HD?

Thank you for helping. My head hurts.
Old Jul-09-2009, 07:34 AM
Kilted SmugMug Hero
"Are you saying I have to lose the HD?"

I never said that....

I was looking for a common format that I know that PE7 exports and that we accept. If it will not upload direct to SmugMug for a codec or other problem, then you can use that file in Streamclip. Once exported from Streamclip, it should upload.

So, Try this PE7 export option for me H.264 (MPEG4)

We do take MP4 as long as the codec is supported. So if there is a PE7 codec settings, let me know so that we can find one that we know works. If not, go ahead and export the file and try uploading it to SmugMug. Then let me know after it processes so that I can check the error messages if any pop up.

About.me
Old Jul-09-2009, 07:41 AM
Soooo Beginner Grinner
Quote:

I never said that....

I was looking for a common format that I know that PE7 exports and that we accept. If it will not upload direct to SmugMug for a codec or other problem, then you can use that file in Streamclip. Once exported from Streamclip, it should upload.

So, Try this PE7 export option for me H.264 (MPEG4)

We do take MP4 as long as the codec is supported. So if there is a PE7 codec settings, let me know so that we can find one that we know works. If not, go ahead and export the file and try uploading it to SmugMug. Then let me know after it processes so that I can check the error messages if any pop up.
H.264 produces an MTS file, not an MPEG4. I searched high and low to determine that.

The only MP4 I could locate was in Quicktime but the file was 2 mg [MB!] (compared to a WMV file of 136 MB) and the quality looked quite poor.

What do you mean
Quote:
if there is a PE7 codec settings, let me know so that we can find one that we know works.
? I don't know how to identify codec settings (where are they, what are their names).\

I think I read somewhere (in this thread or another on smugmug?) to take the .mts file and rename it with a .mpg extension and try that. I did, it appeared to upload, but on completion there was no thumbnail in the gallery and it didn't show in the log.
Old Jul-09-2009, 07:50 AM
Soooo Beginner Grinner
Quote:

I never said that....

Thanks for helping me not lose the HD.
On Streamclip, would you know how can I determine why it wouldn't convert the MTS file? The "couldn't detect frame size" message? It appears there isn't really help for Streamclip.

Or have is there another converter that works well with MTS formats?
Old Jul-09-2009, 07:57 AM
Kilted SmugMug Hero
I can offer no support on Streamclip. It just works for me for just about every thing that I do with it. Please understand that you do not have to change every setting in it. I only change the things that need to be adjusted and use the defaults for about 90% of the options.

So if you are exporting using H.264 (MPEG4) from PE7 and getting MTS then there is something wrong. You should be getting a MPEG4 or MP4 file. I think you should ask Adobe about that.

Hopefully someone that uses PE7 will be along to give us some other ideas or steps. I do most of my editing using Mac software so I do not use any of the PC apps.

Ziggy... You have any ideas?

About.me
Old Jul-09-2009, 08:02 AM
Soooo Beginner Grinner
Quote:
I can offer no support on Streamclip. It just works for me for just about every thing that I do with it. Please understand that you do not have to change every setting in it. I only change the things that need to be adjusted and use the defaults for about 90% of the options.

So if you are exporting using H.264 (MPEG4) from PE7 and getting MTS then there is something wrong. You should be getting a MPEG4 or MP4 file. I think you should ask Adobe about that.

Hopefully someone that uses PE7 will be along to give us some other ideas or steps. I do most of my editing using Mac software so I do not use any of the PC apps.

Ziggy... You have any ideas?
Here's a thread from Adobe. I hear blah-blah-blah in my head but does it answer your question about MTS?
http://forums.adobe.com/message/2090...A43832F5.node0
If it does, will you translate for me?
Page 1  of  2
1 2
Tell The World!