Options

Another cart-related feature preview

BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
edited October 18, 2008 in SmugMug Support
We have the nasty problems of:

1. Not everyone notices the current buy options.

2. When we want to add something like cards or books, we tuck them in places they shouldn't be, like the gallery tools menu.

So here's a proposal to solve those issues. Here's the logged-in view:

320120636_LRnsN-O.jpg

And the logged-out view:

320120679_shWMm-O.jpg

Buying backups, cards, and photo books are currently only enabled for logged-in users, but of course in the future there will be things pros can sell that would be enabled on this menu logged out.

We plan on making these buttons styleable for customizers assuming this design passes muster.

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    Rather tall buttons. I know some will grip that it takes up too much
    vertical space, they always do.:D

They are also many that are replacing the current ones with their own, they
    might not be happy.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    brjphotobrjphoto Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    Yeah, I can live with that. Looks fine to me.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    Rather tall buttons. I know some will grip that it takes up too much
    vertical space, they always do.:D
    Dealing with that now, I agree deal.gif

They are also many that are replacing the current ones with their own, they
    might not be happy.
    this will replace them. They may have the option to replace this new button, we'll see.
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    I don't know what "from this gallery" would mean. I assume it does what "buy multiple photos" does now, but that's not too obvious. I think I'd rather see one "add to cart" button or something like that. Don't know why anybody would use the buy multiple photos feature. I'd think they would want to get a good look at the pictures and add them to the cart individually. Course that might be different if someone wants to buy 20 different pictures... I haven't run across that issue yet. :D

Dave
  • Options
    Glory2Jesus4PhotographyGlory2Jesus4Photography Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    brjphoto wrote:
    Yeah, I can live with that. Looks fine to me.
    I think that is a great start and if I read that right it looks like this may be where we could put a package together for customers to order.
    I agree with Allen and Andy on the buttons But sense Andy is on it I have no worries that it will be just fine. All low profile and smooooooth mwink.gifmwink.gif
    I know my spelling and grammar are poor some times my spell check says "I got nothing
    for you" and there/ their is no grammar check yet so please forgive me Jesus did.
    My Web site:
    http://Glory2Jesus4Photography.smugmug.com/
    My blog: http://glory2jesus4photography.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2008
    pilotdave wrote:
    I don't know what "from this gallery" would mean.
    Maybe it should be Buy this photo and Buy multiple photos.

It's a common option for people to use, especially when buying wedding photos as the bride buys them all.
  • Options
    brjphotobrjphoto Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Baldy wrote:

Yeah, I like that better.
  • Options
    kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    brjphoto wrote:

Ditto
  • Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    kygarden wrote:
    Ditto

Me three :)
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    NWMtnGuyNWMtnGuy Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    I like this (though I agree that the buttons in the mock-up are a bit tall). One of my ongoing frustrations is that the current links to buy photos aren't as obvious as I would like, especially to a first-time visitor. I do have a couple of requests/suggestions:

1) I have changed the text on my current page so that instead of "buy" the text reads "order prints". Just my personal preference, but I think other people have probably done this as well. Will the text of the new buttons be customizable?

2) The placement and look/feel of the mock-up buttons adds more visual clutter to the page because they don't match the look of existing buttons or align with them. For example, there are already graphical buttons on my page for "share" and "slideshow". How about placing the "buy" and "cart" buttons next to these existing buttons using the same look/feel as the existing ones. This would make the page cleaner and the graphical elements would have a consistent look.

Dale

EDIT: I just looked back a the mockup and realized that there could be up to 5 buttons in this space already, though I think some of those only appear when logged in. Maybe there's not enough horizontal space left in that spot. I still like the idea, but think the graphical elements across the page should be unified. i.e. all the buttons on the page should have the same look/feel.
  • Options
    papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    Baldy wrote:

It's a common option for people to use, especially when buying wedding photos as the bride buys them all.

Software developers must go nuts trying to decide what to call things in the fewest words possible without creating confusion. FWIW, I think "Buy this photo" and "Buy mulitple photos" is probably the right way to go about it this case.

But I can see how a first time visitor might think the "Buy multiple photos" link is there for them to buy several copies of "this photo" (as opposed to buying copies of not only "this photo", but other photos in "this gallery" as well). They can in fact buy serveral copies of "this photo" by simply hitting the "Buy this photo" link.

Longer (by 4 characters) "Buy this & other photos" is clear to me. But I'm biased, so kick it around or kick it out! (I'm OK with it, either way.)
  • Options
    swcolleenswcolleen Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    brjphoto wrote:

me four:)
  • Options
    jwalkerohjwalkeroh Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2008
    I suggest:
    a) keep the use of vertical space to a minimum as using up vertical space can cause the display of images to shrink, and I'd rather have larger images than larger buttons.
    b) make the new buttons the same height as the Slideshow button to keep the style consistent.
    c) keep the cart buttons on the same row where they already are.
    d) don't allow the cart buttons and text to shrink so the customer always sees the same information. That's easier to document also. Here's a thread with more discussion:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=98150
    e) keep the little cart icons around. I think most everyone recognizes a cart button/icon without words. Here's how I've incorporated it into my pages:
    http://www.nikiwalkerphotography.com/gallery/4958232_STy9F#296857998_xd6Cp
  • Options
    edited September 20, 2008
    Okay, we tried to incorporate as much feedback as we could and have the next rev to present.

We've matched them with the upper buttons now both by making the buy button have the same look, and by abandoning pngs for the upper buttons and doing them with YUI, same as the buy and cart buttons.

Here's what the dark version look like:

376114046_hvwJ6-X3.png

And here's light:

376114069_vC88T-X3.png
  • Options
    Here's an example of what they look like with themes:

376114085_RrNE9-X3.png

Here are some customizations you can do:

http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/New+Buttons+September+2008

As for wording, we're still working on that. It seemed so obvious to say Buy this photo and Buy multiple photos, but people are not understanding that Buy multiple photos really means buy other photos from this gallery.

Hmmm...

We're actively putting these buttons through their paces on our test servers and jumping through IE6 hoops, etc. I'll post in the customization forum too that this change is coming soon. Any help you can provide to get the word out will be appreciated.

I know you won't be shy with questions & feedback! :D
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    Baldy wrote:
    Here's an example of what they look like with themes:

376114085_RrNE9-X3.png

Here are some customizations you can do:

http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/New+Buttons+September+2008

As for wording, we're still working on that. It seemed so obvious to say Buy this photo and Buy multiple photos, but people are not understanding that Buy multiple photos really means buy other photos from this gallery.

Hmmm...

We're actively putting these buttons through their paces on our test servers and jumping through IE6 hoops, etc. I'll post in the customization forum too that this change is coming soon. Any help you can provide to get the word out will be appreciated.

I know you won't be shy with questions & feedback! :D

Thanks for the wiki and the PSD file. I have some of my own buttons in my customization that were carefully done to match your old ones. I will want to redo those to match the new YUI buttons when that hits. Do you know approx when we're going to see this live? Is it days, weeks, months from now?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    jfriend wrote:
    week
    it's in hard-core testing now on our internal systems, as Baldy said. We want to get this out in our next release. that's hopefully in the next week or so but you never, ever know :)

Soon, I'd say, is a fairly good bet thumb.gif
  • Options
    papajay wrote:
    Software developers must go nuts trying to decide what to call things in the fewest words possible without creating confusion. FWIW, I think "Buy this photo" and "Buy mulitple photos" is probably the right way to go about it this case.)
    We just changed to Buy "This photo" and "Photos in this gallery" on our test servers to see how that goes.
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2008
    Bump.

Pretty much down to no bugs stopping the new buttons from going out - anyone else have comments?
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    {JT} wrote:
    Bump.

Pretty much down to no bugs stopping the new buttons from going out - anyone else have comments?

ETA is this Thursday night. You never know with software, though...
  • Options
    savannahgasavannahga Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    The "create a book" option, can that be turned off, I don't want anyone creating a book of my pics besides me. Or is that option only seen by me
    when i'm logged in?
  • Options
    savannahga wrote:
    The "create a book" option, can that be turned off, I don't want anyone creating a book of my pics besides me. Or is that option only seen by me
    when i'm logged in?
    Only you, logged in (as it is right now, too, in the Add To Cart interface ) :D
  • Options
    sbresslersbressler Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2008
    {JT} wrote:
    Bump.

I think they look great and as I never really liked the wording as it is, I'm glad to see it changing - a definitely improvement in usability. Nice work guys!
  • Options
    NWMtnGuyNWMtnGuy Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited September 23, 2008
    Thanks for all the hard work!

Dale
  • Options
    edited September 26, 2008
    They're live!
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    Andy wrote:
    They're live!
    Cool - now to figure out how to move them so they show up correctly. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Andy wrote:
    They're live!

I'm a little late, but I'd recommend holding off on the book and framing buttons until you guys actually offer those things. Right now, those buttons don't really do anything useful. I know my visitors don't see them. I would prefer not to as well. One day when they show up and actually open up a book creator or a framing designer, I'll be able to get excited.

Dave
  • Options
    pilotdave wrote:
    I'm a little late, but I'd recommend holding off on the book and framing buttons until you guys actually offer those things. Right now, those buttons don't really do anything useful. I know my visitors don't see them. I would prefer not to as well. One day when they show up and actually open up a book creator or a framing designer, I'll be able to get excited.

Dave
    Well, they work for you, as gallery owner - and lots are already using them - they've been active for months, just in a different view (in the cart) :)
  • Options
    edited September 27, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Well, they work for you, as gallery owner - and lots are already using them - they've been active for months, just in a different view (in the cart) :)

As best as I can tell, the book button gives me information about blurb and a link to them. It has nothing to do with buying the photo below the Buy button or adding it to a photo book. I know blurb very well and have created a couple books (and sold a bunch of copies of each).

The mounting and framing button, at best, links me to fotoflot and enters my smugmug username in the login box. Again, nothing to do with the picture or gallery where I clicked the Buy button.

I'd expect a button that says "create a book" to lead me to a book creator, where that picture gets added to a book that I can buy. You just link me to someone else's site where i can start the process from scratch.

I'd expect a "mounting and framing" button to lead me to an option where i can choose to buy that picture mounted or framed. You just link me to someone else's site where i can start the process from scratch.

I understand that you have partnerships with these companies and want to advertise them. I just don't need an ad for companies that I already know about hiding under the buy button on every page of my site.

It's no big deal... just saying that I think you should save those buttons for when they have true meaning: When you have incorporated those features into smugmug.

Dave
  • Options
    edited September 27, 2008
    pilotdave wrote:
    It's no big deal... just saying that I think you should save those buttons for when they have true meaning: When you have incorporated those features into smugmug.

Dave
    I think you are missing the point :D They *are* incorporated. This is how we're selling mounting and framing; books. For now. One day you might find more and even cooler options :)