Options

Update on Packages/Coupons?

iklimoniklimon Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
edited August 8, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I've been a member of SmugMug for a bit over a year now and since I joined the scuttlebut has been that packages and coupons/discounts were being worked on. There are other services that have been offering packages/coupons from their inception. Now, I prefer SmugMug and I work in software development so I understand how things can take time, but a feature like this should be out, especially a feature that would be so very useful to your professional customers. Can we get some sort of update on this feature? I know that you had to do the new cart before you could do the packages/coupons. And the new cart has been out for some time. Can we please get an update on this? I don't want to change services, but if it continues to be vaporware, I'm going to be forced to move by my clients needs.

On a side note, you really should consider allowing for the sales of the JPGs on a CD (not unlike you've done with the backup CDs), but let folks select a number of photos and say purchase on CD/DVD instead of prints.

:deal
Ian Klimon
www.klimon.com

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    Packages and coupons are on the roadmap. Both are waiting on some improvements we're making to our cart. Yes, we've all been waiting a while - and your patience is appreciated.

We'd like to be able to sell DVDs & CDs, and in fact, they are on the road map as well.

Hang in there!
  • Options
    GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    Packages
    Andy wrote:
    Packages and coupons are on the roadmap. Both are waiting on some improvements we're making to our cart. Yes, we've all been waiting a while - and your patience is appreciated.

We'd like to be able to sell DVDs & CDs, and in fact, they are on the road map as well.

Hang in there!

WooHoo!!!! You've got the maps...I'm ready for the roadtrip!!!

Let me know if you want anyone to beta it! :)
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    Andy wrote:

Hang in there!

Cool - that's good to hear.

Those two items (coupons and DVD/CD ordering) would 'complete' the perfect smugmug experience for me!

I recently attended an event where a pro was shooting and selling pics through pictage.com so I signed up for an update from them - they sent me a coupon which I thought was awesome...
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • Options
    Gary Peterson PhotographyGary Peterson Photography Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    Great News
    Andy wrote:

Hang in there!

What type of timeframe are you looking at in regards to both items....

Both items would be of great advantage, but the disc sales would be of great value..
    Gary Peterson
    Gary Peterson
    Award Winning Photographer
    garypetersonphoto@earthlink.net

Winner Brides Choice Award 2017
    Winner Best of Spokane 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2015
    Winner Best of Spokane 2015
    Winner Wedding Wire Couples Choice Award 2014
    Winner Best Photographer 2013 Spokane A-List
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2013
    Winner Best of Spokane Northwest Inlander 2012
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2011
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2010
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2011
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2010

(509) 230-9785

www.actionsportsimages.smugmug.com

• Options
    TCSTCS Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    What type of timeframe are you looking at in regards to both items....

Both items would be of great advantage, but the disc sales would be of great value..

I started a thread just on that subject but on the mind your business section, I had not seen this.
    Photobiz allows that but the monthly fee is too high for small volumes.

Christine
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    TCS wrote:
    I started a thread just on that subject but on the mind your business section, I had not seen this.
    Photobiz allows that but the monthly fee is too high for small volumes.

Christine

The hardest thing when envisioning how to implement packages would be the degree of control over the crop--different sizes of the same uploaded images, the photographer has to be able to insure all package size contents "work". I'm really looking forward to the implementation of this feature, and expect a real boost in sales from it.
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2008
    lynnesite wrote:
    The hardest thing when envisioning how to implement packages would be the degree of control over the crop--different sizes of the same uploaded images, the photographer has to be able to insure all package size contents "work". I'm really looking forward to the implementation of this feature, and expect a real boost in sales from it.

Hi Lynne,

I love your pictures!
    I am also a horse (specifically Arabian horse) lover. If you ever need a backup for the endurance rides, I am right here!

Christine
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    TCS wrote:
    Hi Lynne,

I love your pictures!
    I am also a horse (specifically Arabian horse) lover. If you ever need a backup for the endurance rides, I am right here!

Christine

Hi, and thanks! Are you in Pacific South? I'm traveling out of region the next 3 rides, and regretting it somewhat due to fuel costs: Mariposa, Tevis, Swanton.
  • Options
    timganglofftimgangloff Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    packages and coupons
    Sorry if this sounds a bit sarcastic, but I think it is warranted. Smugmug has said for over a year now that packages are on the horizon, the roadmap or whatever. In the meantime, they've been busy rolling out important stuff like changing papers and allowing video uploads. Curiously though, these two improvements did not come up very often as feature requests on these boards, or if they did, I missed them. I posted a similar question (How much longer?)and got a similar response from Andy. I don't blame him, as at least he is taking the hits for the team, but someone needs to light a fire under the programmers and their bosses rears and make this happen.
  • Options
    MikeMcA²MikeMcA² Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    This is my most-often asked question. "I'm buying three of the same 5x7, why don't you offer a package discount? The old guy who used to print stuff at the track gave discounts." I would love to see coupons or large-sale discounts. Even "buy a large print, get 2 4x6 prints free" or something. I've gone in manually and lowered prices until the one customer buys their product and then set them back. Seems a little odd to have to manually do things in the computer age lol.
  • Options
    Glory2Jesus4PhotographyGlory2Jesus4Photography Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    I really think that they are doing something about Packages because it is not only one of the biggest asked about things here it is also the one biggest complaint I have heard from Smugmug customers on other forums as well.
    So I know this is killing their potential customers as well as ours when you here other pros say "I really like SmugMug but They have not been able to fully support my business by not supplying Packages of any form it is so much easier at ______. It just saves me enough time that it over rides any price difference"
    I have even seen SM Heros on other forums replying to these kind of comments So it has to be on their Radar. I will be glad that SM took so long to implement Packages if they get it right from the start. I do not want something halfway from a under-par vendor that can't meet my expectations. That would just make things worse.
    Sorry if this sounds a bit sarcastic, but I think it is warranted. Smugmug has said for over a year now that packages are on the horizon, the roadmap or whatever. In the meantime, they've been busy rolling out important stuff like changing papers and allowing video uploads. Curiously though, these two improvements did not come up very often as feature requests on these boards, or if they did, I missed them. I posted a similar question (How much longer?)and got a similar response from Andy. I don't blame him, as at least he is taking the hits for the team, but someone needs to light a fire under the programmers and their bosses rears and make this happen.
    I know my spelling and grammar are poor some times my spell check says "I got nothing
    for you" and there/ their is no grammar check yet so please forgive me Jesus did.
    My Web site:
    http://Glory2Jesus4Photography.smugmug.com/
    My blog: http://glory2jesus4photography.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2008
    lynnesite wrote:
    Hi, and thanks! Are you in Pacific South? I'm traveling out of region the next 3 rides, and regretting it somewhat due to fuel costs: Mariposa, Tevis, Swanton.

Hi Lynne

I am in Juniper Hills (Pearblossom).
    Tevis must be great!

Christine
  • Options
    bkatzbkatz Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    Just an update - according to another thread on the new shopping cart coupons are after the new shopping cart so sounds soon.wings.gif
  • Options
    decalsdecals Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    I have been hearing about the coupons for two years now. When I signed up they said "right around the corner"

I love my SmugMug support, they are the best! But for us sports guys, we need packages. I have started an account on another site that offers them, and it outsells my SmugMug site two to one, with the same pictures! The customer service is OK, but not up to SmugMug's levels. I am going to keep both accounts for now, but I will not renew when my time comes if we do not have packages or coupons by then.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2008
    bkatz wrote:
    Just an update - according to another thread on the new shopping cart coupons are after the new shopping cart so sounds soon.wings.gif

And the new shopping cart has been implemented right?
    John in Georgia
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 31, 2008
    jhelms wrote:
    And the new shopping cart has been implemented right?
    We were planning on doing coupons right after the new Cart, but something with a short fuse came up so we had to push them back. Coupons are on the immediate list and will happen sooner rather than later.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    brjphotobrjphoto Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2008
    bigwebguy wrote:
    We were planning on doing coupons right after the new Cart, but something with a short fuse came up so we had to push them back. Coupons are on the immediate list and will happen sooner rather than later.

I have a short fuse. Does that count? headscratch.gif

I just got a request to bid on a photo packages for a local cheerleading orgainzation. Without packages or coupons I'm really not sure what to tell them. Even if packages are futher down the road, coupons would at least give me options.

Let's get it moving guys. :deadhorse
  • Options
    Techman1Techman1 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    Been asking for these ever since I started!
    I am extremely hopeful this will happen this year. Otherwise, this will be my last year with SM as I get asked this all of the time from clients. I've also been using another service since I really need this for my business. I just renewed my account with SM and am really hoping to continue, but if not ... it's been a good run.

Update us soon SM guys! ne_nau.gif

-Fred
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2008
    brjphoto wrote:

Let's get it moving guys. :deadhorse

We know you want them. We will have 'em thumb.gif But there's something else, equally important and it's being done right now by our sorcerers. Thank for your patience and understanding.
  • Options
    SchnooksSchnooks Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 6, 2008
    A question from a new SM...
    So I literally just signed on to SM as my trial period ended today. One of my questions I had regarding SM was coupons/package pricing so I began searching the FAQ's for past info on the subject. I am a little gun shy now to see this has been an ongoing issue with SM for some time. I agree with above comments regarding support help being FABULOUS clap.gifwith SM but do you have any timeline for a resolution to this coupon/package pricing issue?
    Andy wrote:
    We know you want them. We will have 'em thumb.gif But there's something else, equally important and it's being done right now by our sorcerers. Thank for your patience and understanding.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2008
    Schnooks wrote:
    but do you have any timeline for a resolution to this coupon/package pricing issue?
    Welcome to SmugMug!

We don't give Timeframes or pre-announce dates, sorry. Know this: it's very important to us to get Coupons!
  • Options
    dlanterdlanter Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    Since Andy is reluctant to answer, I thought I would share the answer I got from another smugmug rep on another forum.

"We are right now in step 2 of a 3 step process. The first step was to completely revamp the shopping cart, which we did already on June 27! Next steps are to integrate with a Pro lab and then coupons. I think suffice it to say we are pushing really really hard for this year."

Still not a definitive answer, but at least for me anyway I don't feel like I am getting the run around. I just renewed my membership confident that we will have the upgrade soon.

Dan
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2008
    dlanter wrote:
    Since Andy is reluctant to answer, I thought I would share the answer I got from another smugmug rep on another forum.

"We are right now in step 2 of a 3 step process. The first step was to completely revamp the shopping cart, which we did already on June 27! Next steps are to integrate with a Pro lab and then coupons. I think suffice it to say we are pushing really really hard for this year."

Still not a definitive answer, but at least for me anyway I don't feel like I am getting the run around. I just renewed my membership confident that we will have the upgrade soon.

Dan

That's cool, and I would rather hear 'sometime this year' from SM and I know they mean it than to hear 'we are shooting for sept 1 rollout' and then hear excuses about how they couldn't hit that date.

I like the way SM does things! thumb.gif
    John in Georgia
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2008
    dlanter wrote:

Dan
    We've said the same here on this forum, that Markham said on your other forum, I'm sorry you feel I gave you the runaround, that's not my intention at all and I'm not reluctant to answer anything, ever, here on dgrin :)