Options

Amsterdam: Smuggy-style

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited June 11, 2008 in Journeys
To continue my too-brief journey through the Netherlands last month: Amsterdam.

We got kind of a late start, but I blame the delicious hot herbal tea and catching up on our laptops in a beautiful, spacious kitchen (with perfect Dutch window light!) But Amsterdam just had to be seen, so off we went.

The train ride in was adventurous, mostly because of the giant Chinese restaurant/hotel along the way (between the windmills!) which I am told is so big and gaudy you can see it from the air. :lol3

Once in Amsterdam we walked around. I have no idea where we went. The architecture was old and gorgeous, the houses were slanted and tall, and I enjoyed seeing unique shops and some familiar ones nestled in all the cobblestoned alleys.

I had a turn with the fisheye this morning.

307474099_yBW7u-L.jpg

I love what great environmental portraits you can get with this thing!

307474251_KPomw-L.jpg

In this square there were many, many pigeons bathing in the puddles. They were having what we called a "wet feather contest" because the male birds seemed to really favor the bedraggled, molty look of the females.

Maybe you had to be there. :rolleyes

Anyway, moving right along.... we walked. And walked. And walked some more. I was never tired of seeing things because it was very similar to the other big cities in Europe I'd seen, yet very different. There was great graffiti, a thousand and one bikes, unique Euro fashion and tons (TONS!) of tourist shops selling drug and prostitute-themed tshirts and other tourist wear. Not to mention the picturesque canals and the hundreds of tulip bulbs sold along the water.

There was, of course, more extended lunch breaks on the patio while we watched people walk by.

Eventually we came to the big green behind the Rijksmuseum. Well, the big green between a whole buncha museums. The big sign is there: "I AMSTERDAM" and while we were trying to get a creative shot of the thing every tourist who spoke English looked at our gear and asked if we could snap a photo of them with their family. :lol3

I saw these bold, bare trees all over the city. I thought they cast very distinctive shadows, particularly since they had no leaves.

307474534_k3tvv-L.jpg

There was more tea, more people watching... on the way back through downtown we passed an art gallery specializing in glass. And Dale Chihuly! I don't know if this little guy is his work, but he's cute and the pieces inside the shop were breathtaking.

307495051_N7dBZ-L.jpg

We voted Mexican for dinner. Since sushi was consumed the night before. Apparently you don't get a lot of "traditional" Dutch food in the NL. :D

307495328_dWaPF-L.jpg

307495208_UdYN4-L.jpg

Not a very Mexican salad, perhaps, but I was amused that their definition of beans was "corn." There's a (strong) margarita in the background there that made up for it.

One thing I noticed most about both cities I had seen in this country was the emblems and national pride. I thought it was beautiful. Utrecht had their crest embellishing every lamppost and hidden surface, but it was humble. Amsterdam had humble touches as well (such as simple line carvings in the concrete of the sidewalks) but it made sure to do things on a grand scale, too:

307495484_DSS6d-L.jpg

After dinner we took a stroll down to the red light district because, well, you just have to. When am I going to be in Amsterdam again? I was taken by how beautiful it was: the canal, the shops, the trees and the bridges and boats. Most of all the architecture. Between the grand old houses where bewitching women stare behind the curtains, historic turrets and towers stand in the distance over the rooftops. Just watching.

At the train station heading home. There was some sweet, warm light pouring down this time of the day. A perfect end.

307495682_RwTxp-L.jpg

Light, cameras, and friends.

301359284_xZXbt-L-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    You went to Amsterdam for Mexican food? That's just hillarious lol3.gif . Great photos and story to accompany them as always. Next time I'm definitely selling a kidney to go on a workshop in Europe.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2008
    gluwater wrote:
    You went to Amsterdam for Mexican food? That's just hillarious lol3.gif . Great photos and story to accompany them as always. Next time I'm definitely selling a kidney to go on a workshop in Europe.

Totally! That's why you have two. lol3.gif
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
    edited June 5, 2008
    Great tour, Schmoo. thumb.gif Looks like you had a blast.

This one's shadow resembles Kokopelli.
    schmoo wrote:
    307474099_yBW7u-Ti.jpg
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    David_S85 wrote:
    Great tour, Schmoo. thumb.gif Looks like you had a blast.

This one's shadow resembles Kokopelli.
    I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Schmoo was not trying to depict the fertility deity. Or if she was I think Ivar might have some questions to answer rolleyes1.gif .
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    gluwater wrote:
    I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Schmoo was not trying to depict the fertility deity. Or if she was I think Ivar might have some questions to answer rolleyes1.gif .

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

A great set of photos.........................also
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    These are great !

great trip mwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2008
    gluwater wrote:

Nick, you have seriously outdone yourself this time! lol3.gif

Thanks for the kind comments, guys. thumb.gif
  • Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    I wish you posted the Red Shutter shot, i loved that one. Great series with the fish eye ;)
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited June 6, 2008
    Very nice and thank you for sharing!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    gluwater wrote:
    lol3.gif

Awesome shots, Schmoo! The wet feather contest was great, also :D
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    That lizard thing has AMAZING color and pop to it. I'm really drawn into that photo for some reason. Great set overall though :)
  • Options
    davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    Good Journey
    iloveyou.gif Thanks for the trip!
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2008
    Wow thank you for the comments, guys, even a month after I was there. I really miss being on vacation :D

They do wet feather contests much better there, but what can I say? It's Europe. lol3.gif