Options

Why can't Smugmug find a notecard supplier?

MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
edited June 22, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I think I've asked this before so, excuse me if this is duplication for you?

Currently, SMugmug offers a variety of "printables" that includ most every wanted image size for customers who want to purchase prints and printables ( Coasters etc.)

Smumug also has available: postcards
Smumug NEEDS to have available: notecards or greeting cards in the standard
5 x 7 car size (with printed 4 x 6 image ON it)

I know you guys are adding more services constantly and those new services are greatly appreciated. However, I just can't understand why adding a notecard or greeting card is not available at this time? In addition, there should be a price for a set of 10 cards.

Surely there's someone / company out there who wants a piece of this business, right? Heck you could get Snapfish to do the backend printing for this since I happen to know they offer that product as a printable / order product.

Thanks in advance, Smugmug!!

Markjay
Markjay
Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
Canon 20D - no more film!

Comments

• Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2005
    I was surprised too...
    Markjay wrote:

Currently, SMugmug offers a variety of "printables" that includ most every wanted image size for customers who want to purchase prints and printables ( Coasters etc.)

I know you guys are adding more services constantly and those new services are greatly appreciated. However, I just can't understand why adding a notecard or greeting card is not available at this time? In addition, there should be a price for a set of 10 cards.

Surely there's someone / company out there who wants a piece of this business, right? Heck you could get Snapfish to do the backend printing for this since I happen to know they offer that product as a printable / order product.

Markjay

When I was trying to see if I could get my photo cards printed instead of me printing them out and gluing them on by hand.

The problem might be finding a stock that will enhance digital prints, yet let someone write a message on the inside. Then do you indent the photo letting the card frame the print area, do you "bleed" the photo off the edge? I suspect it's not as easy as it would appear ...

Have you found any places on the web that will print up a photo card with envelope? What kind of printing are they using, and what kind of paper are they printing on?

Just curious...

Dee
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited April 11, 2005
    Dee wrote:
    When I was trying to see if I could get my photo cards printed instead of me printing them out and gluing them on by hand.

The problem might be finding a stock that will enhance digital prints, yet let someone write a message on the inside. Then do you indent the photo letting the card frame the print area, do you "bleed" the photo off the edge? I suspect it's not as easy as it would appear ...

Have you found any places on the web that will print up a photo card with envelope? What kind of printing are they using, and what kind of paper are they printing on?

Just curious...

Dee
    I made a few from a Red River notecard sampler package. They turned out
    well.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2005
    Ofoto actually does a nice job with photo cards. It is supposedly on the smugmug todo list somewhere, from what I remember.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2005
    White House Custom Colour has just started doing folded cards. They are offset printed (an indigo machine?).

http://www.whcc.com/pricing/WHCC_2005_printedcards.pdf
    Markjay wrote:
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2005
    You are close but, not quite there, Shay........
    Yes, while WHCC does do the 5 X 7 standard notecards, their price does not reflect enough "room" for wholesale profit to resell them to retail stores as I am wanting to do since, I already have the clientelle for this.... just waiting for me to come up with the right combo of price and quality.

I need to be down to a MAX of 12.00 - 18.00 a dozen, lest I end up with notecards that are going to have to retail at 5.00 a card in the stores.....
    I don't think so :-)

Hallmark can sell cards to the stores that retail for 5.00 a card... but those are on the high end of the spectrum for a retail card these days. ( and yes, I've seen greeting cards retail for a little more than that with those fancy acetate covers and all).

Give me someone I can work with, that I can SELL my cards to the stores for no more than 18.00 a dozen or 24.00 a dozen (that's pushing things) and still have me come out with a profit margin of 40% (which is my target profit)

Thank you for your assistance......
    I pose this as a challenge to you now, find it!!!!!! :-)

Markjay

White House Custom Colour has just started doing folded cards. They are offset printed (an indigo machine?).

http://www.whcc.com/pricing/WHCC_2005_printedcards.pdf
    Markjay
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 12, 2005
    Markjay wrote:

Markjay
    I'm in... I would love to have available any and all types of greeting and note card options that ezprints and smugmug can offer together. This card thing seems to be a good ticket for many photographers around and I would love to be on this bandwagon with smugmug's automated print fullfillment service as much as possible. If a couple of new options could be worked into the smugmug print option line-up, this would be great.

Have a good day.

-don
  • Options
    HaystackHaystack Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    Bumping this up, is there anything new on the note card front? I have a customer wanting some and I would like to send them through smug mug.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    Haystack wrote:
    Bumping this up, is there anything new on the note card front? I have a customer wanting some and I would like to send them through smug mug.
    No, nothing new, sorry! Hopefully at some point we will have cards, calendars, books, and more.

Thanks for your patience.
  • Options
    ArchangelArchangel Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    I had alot of customers that required greeting cards last year so I e-mailed the SmugMug help desk. One of the guys recommended www.vistaprint.com
    I have used them several times and they are great! I highly recommend them clap.gif until SmugMug has these types of items available.

Jeanne
    Photosbyjeanne.com (under construction)
  • Options
    bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    mwink.gif As was forementioned. It's the net cost to both smugmug and us to be able to re-sell with a livable profit.
    Right now what I do is labor intensive. Get the 4x6 printed and use a manfactured 3 fold with adhesive to form a 5x7 (4x6 image area) foldable note card. right now this process takes me about 1 minute to assemble.
    bsvirginian
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    No, nothing new, sorry! Hopefully at some point we will have cards, calendars, books, and more.

Calenders would be cool-- maybe in time for 2008? mwink.gif

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Calenders would be cool-- maybe in time for 2008? mwink.gif

Oooo, ya. I have been doing my calendars elsewhere and so far I have not been terribly happy. If you could just turn a 13 photo gallery (12 months and the cover) into a basic black calendar with good print quality I'd be thrilled. Add to that a calendar gallery style so the customers would get a the flavor for what they are buying and we'd be set. Please don't waste time on fancy calandar designs; photo calendars should feature the photos.
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2007
    Andy wrote:

thumb.gif Thanks, Andy! That's good to know!!!
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Archangel wrote:
    I had alot of customers that required greeting cards last year so I e-mailed the SmugMug help desk. One of the guys recommended www.vistaprint.com
    I have used them several times and they are great! I highly recommend them clap.gif until SmugMug has these types of items available.

Jeanne
    Photosbyjeanne.com (under construction)
    vista print rocks. I print all sorts of things through them, they're so darn cheap....and lightning fast.

On notecards/announcements I can mark up the cost 50-100% (depending on qty) and still be super affordable.

Another option I've recently added is self-service via digital downloads, where I recommend clients use shutterfly. To be honest, i agree EZprints are higher quality (lustre paper) but I sometimes wish SM would have went with shutterfly for printing, their selection is right smack in my demographic. Canvas prints, cards, books, you name it, they print it....cheap.

Right now I'm juggling four vendors (soon to be five...flush mounts!) for these disparate items, and its getting cumbersome and frustrating for clients.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    neens_waneens_wa Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2007
    I know it's late to post this... but Photographer's Edge offers a lovely tri-fold card that holds either a 3 x5 or 4x6 prints.

Yup, you have to peel off the tape, adhere the card, and fold it, but I do them while watching TV or sitting on the ferry to Seattle. They have nice stuff, and pricing does go down with volume purchase. They have plain, decorated, etc. any card you could shake a stick at....

Hope this isn't too late.

Calendars would be awesome - a calendar you didn't have to pay out the ears for!
    3...2...1... You're back in the room
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2007
    I'm hoping for an update?
    First, I have used Photographer's Edge: nice card stock, TIME consuming manual labor..... not for me.

I've found one or two online companies since (don't remember off top of my head) but, since I already have a Smugmug Pro account and, a website up and running with client photos uploaded (and more to come) I think it's time Smugmug get up-to-date with the rest of the online community and start to offer notecards. I'm not talking those odd size cards, I'm talking standard
    sizes like a 4 x 6 or 5 x 7 folded notecard.

Maybe it's time for Smugmug to make a "deal" with one of the already estabslished online printers that offer notecards and, work out something where Smugmug gets a % off the total sales genterated or ???

In addition, frames would be a next logical step since customers are already buying the prints from us.... why not offer the images framed.

There are several sites for framing with real time WYSIWYG building of the frames... at a reasonable price. They even offer "blind shipping".
    What I would give to have their system integrated into the Smugmug system? Can you hear me begging through your computer?

http://www.pictureframes.com/scripts/WebObjects/PictureFrames.woa/wa/FrameShop

Thank you in advance Smugmug for taking these ideas into consideration.
    Think of this as: additional revenue stream? :-)

neens_wa wrote:
    I know it's late to post this... but Photographer's Edge offers a lovely tri-fold card that holds either a 3 x5 or 4x6 prints.

Yup, you have to peel off the tape, adhere the card, and fold it, but I do them while watching TV or sitting on the ferry to Seattle. They have nice stuff, and pricing does go down with volume purchase. They have plain, decorated, etc. any card you could shake a stick at....

Hope this isn't too late.

Calendars would be awesome - a calendar you didn't have to pay out the ears for!
    Markjay
  • Options
    Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    I'm going to bump this....

I too am looking for a HIGH QUALITY note card solution. Yes, I am aware of Photographer's Edge and I have used their product in the past, but I would like to try and lower the base cost. I've done Photographer's Edge at $2 - $2.50 (to make back my investment) and the merchant needs to sell it at $3.50, which is just too much.

I have merchants in my town that would be very interested in selling my images on note cards, but they want them at a lower price. They are currently selling note cards by other photographers and truthfully, the cards are crap (the actual cards, not the images on the card).
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2010
    I'm going to bump this....

I too am looking for a HIGH QUALITY note card solution. Yes, I am aware of Photographer's Edge and I have used their product in the past, but I would like to try and lower the base cost. I've done Photographer's Edge at $2 - $2.50 (to make back my investment) and the merchant needs to sell it at $3.50, which is just too much.

I have merchants in my town that would be very interested in selling my images on note cards, but they want them at a lower price. They are currently selling note cards by other photographers and truthfully, the cards are crap (the actual cards, not the images on the card).

Have you checked out the cards at Tiny Prints?
    http://www.tinyprints.com/promo/smugmug.htm

Or perhaps the postcards here at Moo?
    http://us.moo.com/en/smugmug/

ear.gif
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    ^^
    are these options listed on our sites?
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2010
    Foques wrote: »
    ^^
    are these options listed on our sites?

In the Buy button and also here:
    http://www.smugmug.com/prints/catalog/P#More
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    hah! didn't see that. thank you
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    Moo cards would cost me about $1.56 per card (for 50 cards).

Photographer's Edge would be $1.08 for 50 cards.

TinyPrints would be $1.24 for 50 cards.

Photographer's Edge would allow me to use my own prints because the cards have "windows" for you to place a print. So, technically, I can have 5 of "Card A", 5 of "Card B", 10 of "Card C", etc.... and it would only cost me $1.08 (plus cost of each print) for each card. So, it looks like Photographer's Edge is still the best solution out there.