Options

Black Bear Revisited

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited July 9, 2008 in Wildlife
Last Saturday I went back to the same area where I saw a (brown colored) black bear the Saturday before, and got extremely lucky, the bear was in a spot that was much easier to photograph (and I was able to ID it as a male).

As I drove away, I spotted two more black bears, this time a mother and a single cub (the cub was adorable), unlike this brown-colored black bear, these were black in color (interesting how there's so much color variation within a single region). Obviously I didn't venture outside of my car, by then I had filled up all my memory cards, and it was too dark for good photos (I would have had to shoot at ISO 3200 or 6400 at my largest aperture). The mother bear was about 20-30% larger than the male pictured here, so I'm guessing the male was only 1-2 years old.

Full gallery is at:

http://photos.coscorrosa.com/gallery/5077634_EzVPc

Here are some of my favorites:

305737014_Qi8mB-L.jpg

305744728_pEfsL-L.jpg

305750261_ScYEd-L.jpg

305753543_kxiq7-L.jpg

305764511_a5C3w-L.jpg

305765913_sNjZM-L.jpg

305770369_mhpeH-L.jpg

305771403_zFCGf-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    Ha ha ha, a brown black bear.
    Nice series, looks well processed too. I like the last shot the most. Unique composition.
  • Options
    NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    Great set, Ron. It's cool that you were able to go back and find this guy again. Excellent set of images. I like the fourth one with mouthfull of grass and the last one best. Purely based on personal preference though because they are all well executed bowdown.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2008
    Great set, Ron. It's cool that you were able to go back and find this guy again. Excellent set of images. I like the fourth one with mouthfull of grass and the last one best. Purely based on personal preference though because they are all well executed bowdown.gif

Thanks! I think the last one (peek-a-boo!) is my favorite too. Awesome creatures.
  • Options
    GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    Very good set Ron clap.gif I love the shot of the bear from behind. All very good shots.
  • Options
    Sp00ksSp00ks Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Wow, Really nice series. He is definately aware of you. You captured nice eye contact in these. Excellent Ron!
    http://www.shutterup.net

-Be true to the light-
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2008
    Sp00ks wrote:
    Wow, Really nice series. He is definately aware of you. You captured nice eye contact in these. Excellent Ron!

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone!

And yes, the bear was as aware of my presence as I was of his, it's pretty cool being close enough to the animal that there's a mutual awareness. Next time I'll bring more memory cards :D
  • Options
    summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Those are Fabulous. iloveyou.gif Well done.
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Well done! clap.gif

Very healthy looking fellow. :D
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Great job thumb.gif
  • Options
    Sp00ksSp00ks Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Thanks for the positive feedback everyone!

And yes, the bear was as aware of my presence as I was of his, it's pretty cool being close enough to the animal that there's a mutual awareness. Next time I'll bring more memory cards :D

Next time you also need to bring a spotter for the bear your not seeing..... :)
    http://www.shutterup.net

-Be true to the light-
  • Options
    MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Awesome images again. Just makes you want to go up to it and give a big hug. What a teddy bear! Not! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    Excellent set. clap.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2008
    Sp00ks wrote:
    Next time you also need to bring a spotter for the bear your not seeing..... :)

What, and miss a self-portrait opportunity with me being the prey? Never!
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    They are all great, but my favorite is the one with the grass in his mouth. Reminds me of a kid with his hand in the cookie jar "no, i am not eating the grass" rolleyes1.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2008
    Maestro wrote:
    Awesome images again. Just makes you want to go up to it and give a big hug. What a teddy bear! Not! rolleyes1.gif

If you do plan on doing that, let me know, it'd make for a great photo. I could spread some honey on your clothes in case the bear is initially hesitant :D

This guy is somewhere between a cub and an adult, the cub I saw later was the actual size of a teddy bear (but mama was obviously nearby, and you don't mess with mama!).
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 4, 2008
    I like all of these. Very nicely captured.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    TdcomptonTdcompton Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    Incredible shots! I am going to AK in less than a week and I have my fingers crossed to see some bear... I wish I had more lens though, I dunno if mine would do much for me unless I get lucky.
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2008
    Tdcompton wrote:
    Incredible shots! I am going to AK in less than a week and I have my fingers crossed to see some bear... I wish I had more lens though, I dunno if mine would do much for me unless I get lucky.
    You could always go wide angle, you'd just have to get a little closer :D

These were all shot with a 100-400, most of these were portraits, so I was at the long end of the zoom range, but for shots with the bears in their environment rather than close-up detailed portraits you can get away with shorter focal lengths.

Here's a shot that was at 100mm (I metered for the bear which is why the sky is overexposed, had there been less dynamic range, it would have made for a much better photo, with the mountains in the background, etc.):

305760113_fdcWU-L.jpg

Anyway, good luck with your trip to Alaska, there's a ton of bears up there (all three North American species too: black, grizzly, and polar!). I'm going to head up there one of these days when I can get a week or so off, though I get the feeling that'll only whet my appetite for more.
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    They are all great, but my favorite is the one with the grass in his mouth. Reminds me of a kid with his hand in the cookie jar "no, i am not eating the grass" rolleyes1.gif
    Yeah, I know what you mean! I'm not an expert on bears, but seeing this bear they remind my physically of dogs, but their playful behavior seems more reminiscent of cats.

Here's another one a few moments before:

305765009_RxNTw-L.jpg
  • Options
    kitvankitvan Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2008
    omg that's a GREAT set!!! where do you live?

I'm a hiker in SoCal and am constantly worried about bears, probably unneeded huh? ne_nau.gif
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2008
    Great Photos!bowdown.gif

What lens did you use?
    Thanks for posting!!!

Take Care,
    Chuck
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2008
    kitvan wrote:
    omg that's a GREAT set!!! where do you live?

I'm a hiker in SoCal and am constantly worried about bears, probably unneeded huh? ne_nau.gif

Thanks! These photos were taken near Mt. Baker in Washington State (just south of the Canadian border). I saw another pair (mother and cub) that night, too dark to take their photo though.

If you take proper precaution, you shouldn't have to worry that much about black bears (don't be stupid and sneak up on them or get between a mother and cub of course). It's extremely rare for them to attack unprovoked. If you're in an area with them, you should definitely have bear spray, and a bell or something that makes noise as you walk so that you're less likely to startle them.
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2008
    Great Photos!bowdown.gif

What lens did you use?
    Thanks for posting!!!

Take Care,
    Chuck

Thanks, these were taken with the Canon 100-400 f/4-5.6 L IS lens, with a 1.3 crop sensor body (Canon 1D MIII).
  • Options
    WildWallyWildWally Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2008
    The third shot is awesome !!!
    And , I always love the butt shots !!!mwink.gif
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    Fabulous shots clap.gif Amazing how good the high ISO shots are headscratch.gif