Options

Really Right Stuff Suggestion (BH-40, BH-55)

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited July 30, 2008 in Accessories
So, I just spent some time with RRS on the phone, speaking with their engineers. Marc Muench and I were musing, that for landscapers, having a BH-40 with the cool knob from the BH-55 would be sweet. The Lever on the BG-40 is nice, works fine. But the knob on the BH-55 is soooo much smoothererererer and easierererer to use, especially if you are making a lot of fine adjustments all day long :deal We landscapers don't often use the heavy telephotos that the BH-55 was designed for (400 f/2.8s and larger, typically with the gimbal head, etc).

BH-40 on the left, BH-55 on the right:
BH40LR2.gifBH55LR.gif

So, how about you? Would you like to see the BH-40 with the knob? :D

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    Ding, Ding, Ding!!!

clap.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    Andy wrote:

I do have alot of stuff from RRS (pano, macro, plates but no ballheads sorry)
    and they shure make sume fine stuff. So yea, I would like to see it, but I would
    not buy it :D Simply because I already have an ergonomicaly perfect
    (subjective, subective!) ballhead which has a insulating rubberized knob.
    The Acratech:

acratech-gv2-ballhead.jpg

Sorry for not being super supportive here :hide
    but I bet ppl who buy the BH-40 would like another
    knob.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    Manfr3d wrote:
    I do have alot of stuff from RRS (pano, macro, plates but no ballheads sorry)
    and they shure make sume fine stuff. So yea, I would like to see it, but I would
    not buy it :D Simply because I already have an ergonomicaly perfect
    (subjective, subective!) ballhead which has a insulating rubberized knob.
    The Acratech:

acratech-gv2-ballhead.jpg

Sorry for not being super supportive here :hide
    but I bet ppl who buy the BH-40 would like another
    knob.
    SUBJECTIVE here.......

I have used this exact head for an entire day and found the knob insufficient compared with that of the BH-55. I could not get my fingers around that small little rubber knob. I will often reach down for the knob while piering through the view finder and the large knob of the BH-55 is that much easier to find, wrap my fingers around and then with all the little grooves, actually turn.
    I guess I am just a snobb about my knobmwink.gif
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    Andy wrote:

YES! ...especially on the one I already have! The lever works nicely, but it has also gotten in the way more times than I would have thought. :cry

Good idea!
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    did rss indicate they would mod as you requested or were you just suggesting this to them? :lurk

is it a simple thing for them to do?
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2008
    did rss indicate they would mod as you requested or were you just suggesting this to them? :lurk

is it a simple thing for them to do?
    Add your feedback here so they can see it.
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2008
    I guess I am just a snobb about my knobmwink.gif

I believe you. A big ballhead with a big premium knob will always win thumb.gif
    I wonder if they would just stick the big knob on the bh-40 or make it
    smaller.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2008
    Manfr3d wrote:
    I believe you. A big ballhead with a big premium knob will always win thumb.gif
    I wonder if they would just stick the big knob on the bh-40 or make it
    smaller.
    I'd not mind a smaller knob mwink.gif
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    A knob on the BH-40 would be ideal since the lever in an upright position does get in the way of the plate. For those of us who already have the BH-40, it'd be nice if RRS offered modification for a reasonable fee.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2008
    Cuong wrote:
    A knob on the BH-40 would be ideal since the lever in an upright position does get in the way of the plate.
    Just FYI, you do know the lever pulls out, and can be re-adjusted so that it'd not hit the plate,yes?
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Add your feedback here so they can see it.

headscratch.gif i was just asking...ne_nau.gif:D me nozz haz feedback

my reasoning is since ive been eyeing new ballheads maybe i can wait a little to get a new improved bh-40ne_nau.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    Cuong wrote:
    A knob on the BH-40 would be ideal since the lever in an upright position does get in the way of the plate. For those of us who already have the BH-40, it'd be nice if RRS offered modification for a reasonable fee.

Cuong

Yup.. I agree. I really like the BH-40 for the size and would be great to have it modified with a knob rather than the lever. I already have a bit of $$ credit at RRS, so I wouldn't mind an upgrade fee... mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Just FYI, you do know the lever pulls out, and can be re-adjusted so that it'd not hit the plate,yes?

Thanks, Andy. Yes, I know the lever can be pulled out and adjusted, but I like to cover it up (when not used) with the canvas pouch and it's annoying to have to adjust the lever each time to fit it inside the pouch.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2008
    Cuong wrote:
    Thanks, Andy. Yes, I know the lever can be pulled out and adjusted, but I like to cover it up (when not used) with the canvas pouch and it's annoying to have to adjust the lever each time to fit it inside the pouch.

Cuong
    Hm, I don't seem to have that issue but I do know they're sending out a larger pouch now.
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hm, I don't seem to have that issue but I do know they're sending out a larger pouch now.

Yes, Andy. I need the knob upgrade or a larger pouch.thumb.gif

Cuong
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    I ordered my BH-40 LR 15 minutes ago, so if RRS would like to ship it to me modified, I wouldn't get angry and send it back :D

Knob Jockeys every one of us.
  • Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    +1 on the knob. The lever really reduces the amount of fun one can have with the BH-40 (at least it does for me).

Regards

Mike

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited June 2, 2008
    I have used this exact head for an entire day and found the knob insufficient...

I have a leveling base with these same knobs. I hate them. You can't get
    enough torque to sufficiently secure the thing and like Marc says, when you're
    reaching for it, it doesn't cut it.

I'd like to vote for RRS leveling base so I can get rid of the current one (use
    the knob Joe :D).

As far as the BH55 knob on the BH40, that would be awesome thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    I have a leveling base with these same knobs. I hate them. You can't get
    enough torque to sufficiently secure the thing and like Marc says, when you're
    reaching for it, it doesn't cut it.

I'd like to vote for RRS leveling base so I can get rid of the current one (use
    the knob Joe :D).

As far as the BH55 knob on the BH40, that would be awesome thumb.gif
    Strange. I've never had such problems not with the V1 nor the V2. headscratch.gif
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    I second the knob. The current lever is sufficient but I've used the BH-55 and like Andy already said, the knob is smoothererererer and easierererer to use.

Completely off topic I was tightening my BH-40 at a wedding a week ago and it broke. The lever no longer tightens :cry. I wasn't even putting much pressure on it as I torqued it down. I have to talk to RRS and see if it's fixable. I hope it is since I really can't afford another right now.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    DonnaLuDonnaLu Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    My .03...
    Since the BH40 is the only podhead I've ever used, I don't have any basis for comparison, but the lever has been little/no problem for me. There have been a few times that I've had to make other adjustments to compensate for the lever being in the way, but for me it wasn't a major issue. Now that I see it can be adjusted, I will definitely look into it. Maybe ignorance is bliss, but I love my rig (did I admit to chimpin' every time I use it?)

A knob would work fine, but I wouldn't want to see one on the 40 the size of the knob on the 50.

A bigger bag would be groovy...put me on the list mwink.gif

Either way, I think it's cool as hell they're listening to the users. And that Andy is out there being the voice of the users. clap.gif
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~M. Twain
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    I also only have experience with the BH-40, but I originally looked at the -55 because of the knob. I would definitely prefer a knob over the lever. An option for current owners to modify existing heads would be super.
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    I don't think this will soon.

Since I needed to pick up a new body plate, I decided to call them and ask about the time frame for this head. And according to the nice lady on the phone, they haven't really discussed this internally yet and it's not a trivial change due to re-machining of BH-40.

Hopefully, this lady was incorrect and someone else knows more... mwink.gif (one can hope!)
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    I don't think this will soon.

Since I needed to pick up a new body plate, I decided to call them and ask about the time frame for this head. And according to the nice lady on the phone, they haven't really discussed this internally yet and it's not a trivial change due to re-machining of BH-40.

Hopefully, this lady was incorrect and someone else knows more... mwink.gif (one can hope!)
    I never said anything about timing :D

I just wanted to give RRS some feeback thumb.gif
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    I own the BH-55LR. I'd be interested in purchasing another ballhead if the BH-40LR had a knob. I'm looking for a lighter setup and this would be perfect.thumb.gif
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    I'd be all over it like white on rice.

I love the ease and findability of the knob when you're looking through the camera, but my teeny paws wanted the smaller ballhead for general use.

The idea has my endorsement. thumb.gif
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    I want that knob on my Acratech GV. It has several knobs, all different in feel and size, but I sometimes keep wondering when I'm looking through the VF if I'm unlocking the ball position, or something else. It was this knob that had me looking at the RRS BH-55, which I found too big for my general use. The lever of the BH-40 didn't look as nice to me.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    I have never used the RSS ball heads, but I have a Markins M10 which I am really quite fond of. Its light weight, has a very smooth movement and a big, easy to find knob.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    This is pretty weird. I was only looking at their site the other day thinking how nice the unit is & as im up for a new head shortly i would go with this new idea no problems at all.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 10, 2008
    I'm with Andy and Marc. I own and use both the BH-55 and the BH-40, and find the lever of the BH-40 much less satisfactory than the knurled knob. The lever is harder to adjust smoothly, and harder to identify tactilely, without removing my eye from the viewfinder.

I think the large style knob on the BH-40 is a great idea, that I do prefer.

If I could have my current BH-40 modded with a new knurled knob I would do that also.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin