Erica Cornejo
Canon 5D / 135m f/2
f2.8 @ 1/800 / ISO 1600
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    Wow! These are incredible shots under tough lighting conditions. Were you in the audience or shooting for the company?
    E
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    wave.gif Rutt, lovely work, you're really nailing these shots.

I think your crops could do well by a tiny bit more room on the bottoms, below the dancers, to the footlights area. I feel like the shots need a bit more 'anchorage' thumb.gif
  • Options
    WildWallyWildWally Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    Very nice shots ...
    I am particular to the first shot . Well done
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    Haha, it's funny, I've been to the last 3 ballett shows you photographed as one of my friends used to be a ballerina. Very nice work! iloveyou.gif Are you taking them during the show or at the rehearsal? I never saw a flash going off, or did you just never have to use one?? Wow .... mwink.gif
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    These are all breathtaking. Great job!
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    John,
    looks like your handling of 85/1.2 has greatly improved! bowdown.gif
    Awesome job! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    BungeeBungee Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    Very, very nice work in tough lighting and high ISO. I like the shots a lot! clap.gif

Regards,

Bungee
  • Options
    PhilCollumPhilCollum Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    clap.gif Bellissimo!!
    Phil Collum
    Phil Collum Photography
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Equipment list in my profile
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    Thanks everyone for the compliments.
    Andy wrote:
    :
    I think your crops could do well by a tiny bit more room on the bottoms, below the dancers, to the footlights area. I feel like the shots need a bit more 'anchorage' thumb.gif

This is really good criticism, Andy and not really the sort of thing I see best. There is an issue, I've experimented and found a position to shoot from which gets really nice dramatic angles. But the front edge of the stange is always there. For example:

296784064_V9WsK-M.jpg

Perhaps I should leave some of it in? Perhaps I should experiment more with shooting positions? Something to think about.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Haha, it's funny, I've been to the last 3 ballett shows you photographed as one of my friends used to be a ballerina. Very nice work! iloveyou.gif Are you taking them during the show or at the rehearsal? I never saw a flash going off, or did you just never have to use one?? Wow .... mwink.gif

I like to shoot the dress rehearsal. It is possible to shoot performances, but there are many restrictions and the result isn't very good photography, IMHO.

Flash is verboten and counterproductive, anyway, since I cannot possibly do better than the lighting directors (whom I credited by name this time. They are true heroes of these performances, and I want to show what they do.

Let me know if you plan to attend a performance, I often attend to relax from shooting at the dress rehearsal. The experience is so completely different.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    rutt wrote:
    I like to shoot the dress rehearsal. It is possible to shoot performances, but there are many restrictions and the result isn't very good photography, IMHO.

Flash is verboten and counterproductive, anyway, since I cannot possibly do better than the lighting directors (whom I credited by name this time. They are true heroes of these performances, and I want to show what they do.

Let me know if you plan to attend a performance, I often attend to relax from shooting at the dress rehearsal. The experience is so completely different.

That makes sense ... You got beautiful shots from the last performance, I got to say. I could imagine those are very hard to shoot, even with the stage light, the dancers were moving very fast, especially during the last one! WOW, BEAUTIFUL work!!

I'll let you know next time I'll go to a performance. My friend has season tickets, and her husband is not always interested in going rolleyes1.gif ... haha, so I'm usually the second choice wings.gifHow do you get to go to a researsal? Do you need to get special tickets, or do you just need to know the right people?
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited June 2, 2008
    rutt wrote:
    This is really good criticism, Andy and not really the sort of thing I see best. There is an issue, I've experimented and found a position to shoot from which gets really nice dramatic angles. But the front edge of the stange is always there...Perhaps I should leave some of it in? Perhaps I should experiment more with shooting positions? Something to think about.

I showed the two images to my wife (a former dancer) and she did not like seeing the front of the stage at all. I wonder if there might be some inherent conflict of aesthetics between dance and photography. For example, as a photographer, I rather like the reflections of the feet on the stage; a dancer might feel that they diminish the purity of the line they are working so hard to create. Tricky stuff. I suppose the intended audience of the pics comes into play here. You might kick this around with the artistic director of the company if you have the chance.

In any event, it is always a pleasure to see your pics, John, and I look forward to seeing more.
  • Options
    SkeweSkewe Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 3, 2008
    rutt wrote:
    Concerto Barocco
    Chorgraphy: George Balanchine
    Lighting Design: Margaret Tracey

303619430_LMyYa-L.jpg
    Sarah Wroth
    Canon EOS-1D Mark III / 85m f/1.2
    f2.0 @ 1/320 / ISO 1600

Sorry to correct but this is Sarah Wroth.
  • Options
    magiekmagiek Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 3, 2008
    Love all your pics Rutt and have been hanging out to see some more ballet shots from you for ages.
    Am always in awe of the 'cleaness' of your pics - mine studio and stage shots are always so grainy!

Can't wait to see more
    Regards Margaret
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    rutt wrote:
    ...But the front edge of the stange is always there. For example:

Perhaps I should leave some of it in? Perhaps I should experiment more with shooting positions? Something to think about.

John,

The stage edge doesn't bother me. Seeing the edge gives the picture more of a "you're really there" feel.

Great shots by the waythumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2008
    Skewe wrote:

Sorry to correct but this is Sarah Wroth.

Thank you very much!!! I try hard, but it was only a matter of time before I made this kind of mistake.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    spectacular!! thanks for posting.