Options

Great Blue Heron - White Morph

darrell-fdarrell-f Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited August 6, 2011 in Wildlife
When I first saw this bird I though it was a great egret, but then realized how big it was. It's actually a great blue heron, but all white. It's a white morph or great white heron. Taken at Viera Wetlands, Brevard County, FL.

310mm (with Canon 100-400mm); f/10; 1/800

Darrell-F

295047902_ZXnU2-L-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    That is a Great White Egret, not a White morph Great blue Heron. You can tell by the yellow beak and green lore.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2008
    Not sure, but legs indicated white morph
    This bird was much larger than an egret. Also note the yellow legs. Herons have the yellow legs and egrets have black legs. This is the reason that I thought it was a white morph.

Darrell-f

Heron
    290941680_MxxxX-M-1.jpg

Egret
    291008117_UF2r7-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    I'm still not sure. You are correct about the legs but the bill still looks wrong to me and there should be a plume on the head. Even though the White morph has a yellow bill it does not, to the best of my knowledge, have a green lore.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    Jim TJim T Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    according to Sibley this most closely matches the white morph, the legs are buffy and the bill is not curved down like a great egret.

Nice capture which ever one it is!
  • Options
    dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    White morph Sandhill!!!!rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifne_nau.gif no??

gret capture
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    This will be a little confusing, but it's my understanding of the situation.

The great white egret is the white morph of the GBH. In North America, specifically Florida, it is called the GWE because it is the largest white egret in north america.

The Great Egret, GE, is called a great white egret everywhere in the world except NA as it is the largest white egret on those continents.

The white morph gets the title GWE in NA, but the Great Egret gets the title everywhere else as being GWE. The GWE, the morph, is only found in FL. The North American that has the title "great egret" is found worldwide and is called GWE.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Great_Egret.html
  • Options
    PrescottPhotogPrescottPhotog Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    darrell-f wrote:
    When I first saw this bird I though it was a great egret, but then realized how big it was. It's actually a great blue heron, but all white. It's a white morph or great white heron. Taken at Viera Wetlands, Brevard County, FL.

Interesting.. Ya learn something new every day..headscratch.gif
    '
    Prescott Photog, Chris - " One Shot, One Still "
    '
    Canon CPS Member
    SmugMug Pro User - www.PrescottOutdoors.net
    NAPP Member..Click for Info
  • Options
    MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    I agree with Darrel. It's a Great White Egret or white morph. They only live in Florida. I can even so faintly see the neck plumage that extends down to the chest as it is on a GBH. Nice image of a rare variant.
  • Options
    raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    Cool capture either way! thumb.gif
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    Bump on the capture.

This is an egret.

Cheers!
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2008
    Bump on the capture.

This is an egret.

Cheers!

Actually, and I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but Darrel is correct. It is the rare white morph. Scroll down and you can see a pic of the GBH white morph version.
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2008
    I learned something more about herons
    deal.gif
    After a good bit of researching on the internet and the responses here, I'm now confident that this bird is the White Morph of the Great Blue Heron and quite rare. I even went back to search for him to try get more pictures that might show a head plume or shaggy neck plume. I found him again, but could not get close enough for photographs.

The most concise reference that I found is the Internet Field Guide to Birds. There are good pictures and a confirmation that the yellowish legs are a distinguishing characteristic of the White Morph of the Great Blue Heron.
  • Options
    SpideySpidey Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited May 16, 2008
    Darrel,
    I have to agree with your assessment. If this were a Great Egret the legs would be black. Another name for this Heron is the Wurdemann's Heron.

Nice find. This one is obviously an immature Heron lacking the ornate plumes on the back of the head.
  • Options
    SunGloSunGlo Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    darrell-f wrote:
    deal.gif
    After a good bit of researching on the internet and the responses here, I'm now confident that this bird is the White Morph of the Great Blue Heron and quite rare. I even went back to search for him to try get more pictures that might show a head plume or shaggy neck plume. I found him again, but could not get close enough for photographs.

The most concise reference that I found is the Internet Field Guide to Birds. There are good pictures and a confirmation that the yellowish legs are a distinguishing characteristic of the White Morph of the Great Blue Heron.

Darrell,

Your research and conclusions are right on the money. Field Guide to Birds by Donald and Lillian Stokes has an excellent picture of the white morph. Other than the legs appearing somewhat more orange, it matches your image. They state it is considered rare and is only seen in south Florida.

You have me looking back through my thousands of egret images. I'm wondering if I've seen one and inadvertently wrote it off as another great egret.

Thanks for the awakening...GREAT CATCH!!!

Have fun,

Phil
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    Outstanding capture and correct ID! clap.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    I would not be sure --the green above the bill = egret the lak of the top feathers [the 2 top not feathers ] also makes me wonder ?? the legs are the only thing in this photo that do not make me 100% egret
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2008
    jwear wrote:
    I would not be sure --the green above the bill = egret the lak of the top feathers [the 2 top not feathers ] also makes me wonder ?? the legs are the only thing in this photo that do not make me 100% egret

Jeff,

The white morph has that same blue-gray coloring above the bill and near the eyes that normal bird has which might be what we're seeing as a greenish color in Darrell's shot. Also, from what I've read, the white morph only has one feather that extends from just above the eyes to the back of the neck. It's hard to tell if it is there or not in Darrell's shot because of the wind.

At any rate, it certainly doesn't look like your average great egret and Darrell did a great job of stirring our interest.

Have fun,

Phil
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    Phil I had to do some looking --looks like the whitey only has 1 big blue 2 [that was a guess on my part]so lets say white balance and wind eek7.gifrolleyes1.gif a morph rolleyes1.gif The shot did get me to do more research I have not heard of the gbh morph before thumb.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2008
    jwear wrote:
    Phil I had to do some looking --looks like the whitey only has 1 big blue 2 [that was a guess on my part]so lets say white balance and wind eek7.gifrolleyes1.gif a morph rolleyes1.gif The shot did get me to do more research I have not heard of the gbh morph before thumb.gif

I hate to admit this, but I live in southwest Florida and I never heard of the white morph before Darrell's post. Like I said, I'm now in the process of going through all my great egret shots to see if I have a morph in my archives.

I ran into the same issue with an immature little blue heron which are also white. It's very easy to mistake them for a snowy egret until you do a quick look at the feet. Just to muddy the waters even more, there's a white morph reddish egret...UGH! Twenty minutes shooting birds, three days trying to figure out what you shot...rolleyes1.gif

Have fun,

Phil
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2008
    Looks like a morph to me, good catch. thumb.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    DigitalRaptorDigitalRaptor Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 20, 2008
    Great White Heron
    I saw this thread and since I took a picture of an actual Great White Heron I wanted to share. I took this pictures in the Keys last year.
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    One thing we can all agree on: It is definitely Knotaloon rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Geo-mcGeo-mc Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 20, 2009
    Great Blue Heron - white morph
    I took this picture at Aransas State Park, TX while on a photo trip aboard The Skimmer

highres_7009538.jpeg
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2009
    Hey, Geo-Mc, that is indeed our Texas version. It is definitely a white morph but with black legs. The thick beak, the long tuft of feathers on top and the general body all show this to be a great blue heron white morph. They are rare for Texas but not unheard of. I had originally thought this morph was only in Florida, but obviously that is wrong.

I photographed this morph on Sunday aboard a different charter.

Edit: Did you see the whoopers too?
  • Options
    RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2011