• Gear
  • Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Shots The Dgrin Challenges > The Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges - General Discussion

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 47  of  53
Old Apr-06-2011, 09:39 AM
sapphire73 is online now sapphire73
Major grins
Thanks for your input on the major grins, big grins, etc. I figured something must be triggering the changes and number of posts makes sense. On my way to New Zealand now....
Old Apr-06-2011, 09:51 AM
Richard is offline Richard
Mildly bemused
Big Grins at 10; Major Grins at 100.
Old Apr-06-2011, 10:09 AM
jeffreaux2 is offline jeffreaux2
Grinning...and bearing it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Big Grins at 10; Major Grins at 100.
Mildly bemused at 10,000+....
Old Apr-06-2011, 09:21 PM
indiegirl is offline indiegirl
Life. Photographed.
I miss LPS.
Old Apr-06-2011, 09:27 PM
sherstone is offline sherstone
here
DSS not challenging enough for you?
Old Apr-07-2011, 05:26 AM
The Curious Camel is offline The Curious Camel
Peace Always
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiegirl View Post
I miss LPS.

I second that but let me explain. I think
the challenges you come up with are awesome
I just don't like the new voting style.

Just my two cents.

peace, gail

PS. I was wondering about all the titles having the challenge name in them to.
Glad you brought it up Joyce.

Nothing in life is just Black and White
Old Apr-07-2011, 07:00 AM
here
Talking
When I tested the voting style that we are using now, the majority of feedback was all for it. In fact the main reason it was even changed was because it was requested several times by several people.
Everyone seemed to want:
1. The ability to vote for more than one person.
2. To be part of the decision making process and not only be given 10 out of the group to vote for.
3. Give all participants a way to receive feedback.

With the new public vote we have achieved all three and more. I personally feel there is a lot of merit in a public forum allowing that same userbase to give it's peers feedback via a vote from everyone.

We always have had a public voting component. Even back in the days of LPS. What we have now is just an expanded version of it. Popularity contest? Maybe to a point, but personally all I see are the images that should win, being recognized for what they are. Winners!
Old Apr-07-2011, 07:10 AM
The Curious Camel is offline The Curious Camel
Peace Always
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherstone View Post
When I tested the voting style that we are using now, the majority of feedback was all for it. In fact the main reason it was even changed was because it was requested several times by several people.
Everyone seemed to want:
1. The ability to vote for more than one person.
2. To be part of the decision making process and not only be given 10 out of the group to vote for.
3. Give all participants a way to receive feedback.

With the new public vote we have achieved all three and more. I personally feel there is a lot of merit in a public forum allowing that same userbase to give it's peers feedback via a vote from everyone.

We always have had a public voting component. Even back in the days of LPS. What we have now is just an expanded version of it. Popularity contest? Maybe to a point, but personally all I see are the images that should win, being recognized for what they are. Winners!
There isn't one thing wrong with the new voting, I just preferred the other. If that's what everybody wants that's fine it's just a change and sometimes change is harder for some than for others.

You do a fantastic job as moderator and your ideas are brilliant. I am just old and use to old voting. That's all. Not
trying to make it more than it is.

I do however agree about the titles. My brother always told me that an image should stand on it's own. :)

Peace, gail

Nothing in life is just Black and White
Old Apr-07-2011, 07:43 AM
bbjones is offline bbjones
Major grins
I wasn't here in the old days, so I can't say how I liked the old way. But one of the things I really like about the public voting for all the images is that I can get feedback from others on my stuff. The C&C discussions are invaluable, but lots of people don't post there yet still vote. It's a nice way to gauge the broader appeal of my photos, and serves as useful feedback.

www.photographyjones.com
Old Apr-07-2011, 07:49 AM
Life. Photographed.
Quote:
DSS not challenging enough for you?
That's certainly not it. I'm not a "contender" by any stretch.

I don't know what I miss. The excitement? The newness? The prizes? The judge's critique?

LPS was not sustainable for all of the above reasons and I really like DSS. It's just . . . different.

And that's okay, too!

Sean, you're a rockstar. I hope my comment didn't offend.
Old Apr-07-2011, 08:22 AM
JamesVernacotola is offline JamesVernacotola
Big grins
Quote:
I'm not a "contender" by any stretch.
I thought this one was definitely a contender: :)

Old Apr-07-2011, 08:28 AM
Life. Photographed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesVernacotola View Post
I thought this one was definitely a contender: :)

Ahhh, thanks...

I really enjoy playing even if my stuff doesn't get in to the top ten. It's good fun and I learn a lot.
Old Apr-07-2011, 05:46 PM
here
Quote:
Sean, you're a rockstar. I hope my comment didn't offend.
Not at all - but I wondered where you were coming from with it.

BTW I too totally disagree with your evaluation of your contend-ability.
Old Apr-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Nikolai is offline Nikolai
Darth SLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreaux2 View Post
Mildly bemused at 10,000+....
"Need to get a life" at 15,000+
member: NAPP, PPA, partner: Adobe
Comprehending life, universe and everything - one pixel at a time
Old Apr-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Nikolai is offline Nikolai
Darth SLR
Quote:
i miss lps.
+1
member: NAPP, PPA, partner: Adobe
Comprehending life, universe and everything - one pixel at a time
Old Apr-07-2011, 08:25 PM
lkbart is offline lkbart
Wandering in left field~
Being relatively new here & newer to the challenges, excuse my ignorance, but what are the differences between the DSS & LPS?

Also, on the subject of challenge etiquette, it would be nice to have a sticky setting out what's cool & what's not. Not rules - just suggestions, recommendations or guidelines for participating in the challenges. You can't not do what you don't know.* Reasons behind them would be really nice (if it's not obvious - like apparently fish photo etiquette is that you are only supposed to display the left side of a fish, unless it is asymetrical - but I have no idea why & I'm pretty sure I need to go flip some of my photos to comply - flipping is okay). For me, it's easier to remember a guideline if I know the reason for it.

*Sorry for the grammar, but it seemed appropriate.
Old Apr-07-2011, 09:26 PM
here
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkbart View Post
Being relatively new here & newer to the challenges, excuse my ignorance, but what are the differences between the DSS & LPS?
There are many similarities between both. LPS was a 1 year long challenge that had photographers competing for the top 40 spots available at the very end to shoot it out for the top big prize. SmugMug, being very generous had put up some amazing prizes. One of the prizes that I personally was after was the lifetime Pro SmugMug membership. I was ecstatic when it was decided that in DSS (the new incarnation of LPS), each quarter there would be a Lifetime SmugMug membership available to be won.

We were very lucky to have been given a second chance as there were several things that happened during LPS that gave the volunteer organizers a feeling of distaste. The new DSS was devised to be similar and has now evolved into what you see today, largely community driven, with the guidance of a moderator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkbart View Post
... Also, on the subject of challenge etiquette, it would be nice to have a sticky setting out what's cool & what's not. Not rules - just suggestions, recommendations or guidelines for participating in the challenges.
There is such a thread located as a sticky called: The DGRIN SHARP SHOOTERS (DSS) Challenges (Quick links to all things official)
Here you will find many tidbits of information and guidelines, as well as the rules. You can also search The Dgrin Challenges forum for years of drama and discussion on almost all of the subjects that come up on a regular basis. Things such as captions, voting for yourself, composites etc.
Old Apr-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Froch is offline Froch
~~~~
Quote:
...... a title that enhances your image is part of what makes a good image an even greater one.............
Agreed!

**I love 'a good title' because it's sometimes the additional moment of discovery. The ah-ha moment.
Old Apr-07-2011, 09:55 PM
here
I have updated the rules to include this guideline. (not a rule)

Under number 10. Name Your Entry:
(Please try to be imaginative with your choice of caption. It is suggested not to use any of the words from a theme in your caption, to give it some spice and individuality. You should also keep your title as short as possible, if you can enhance your image with one to three words it will leave a lasting impression on the person viewing your work.)
Old Apr-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Froch is offline Froch
~~~~
Quote:
.............(Please try to be imaginative with your choice of caption. It is suggested not to use any of the words from a theme in your caption, to give it some spice and individuality. You should also keep your title as short as possible, if you can enhance your image with one to three words it will leave a lasting impression on the person viewing your work.)

the mark of 'a good title'.......
Page 47  of  53
Tell The World!