Options

Indexing, keywords and captions: replaced files behavior

bssmithbssmith Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited August 25, 2009 in SmugMug Support
I think I understand, through several related threads, that when a new image is uploaded, you need to be patient and allow for ~24 hours before reasonably expecting the keywords associated with the image to show up.

I have a question about the indexing process and what the expected behavior should be when you start replacing existing images.

Image X was uploaded several weeks ago, with keywords (and caption) that showed up as expected. I later modified the keyword list and caption on my local master version of image X, saved off a JPG equivalent for SM, and used the Replace Photo option to upload the revised image X back onto SM.

Problem is, even after I do this, I'm still (days later) seeing the original keyword list and caption underneath the image, not the revised versions. I've checked my local copy to confirm that the keywords are present in the JPG file; they are indeed present. I was expecting that the Replace Photo option = (overwrite original photo by replacing it) and (overwrite original metadata by replacing it).

Thanks,

-- Ben

Comments

• Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2008
    bssmith wrote:
    I think I understand, through several related threads, that when a new image is uploaded, you need to be patient and allow for ~24 hours before reasonably expecting the keywords associated with the image to show up.

I have a question about the indexing process and what the expected behavior should be when you start replacing existing images.

Image X was uploaded several weeks ago, with keywords (and caption) that showed up as expected. I later modified the keyword list and caption on my local master version of image X, saved off a JPG equivalent for SM, and used the Replace Photo option to upload the revised image X back onto SM.

Problem is, even after I do this, I'm still (days later) seeing the original keyword list and caption underneath the image, not the revised versions. I've checked my local copy to confirm that the keywords are present in the JPG file; they are indeed present. I was expecting that the Replace Photo option = (overwrite original photo by replacing it) and (overwrite original metadata by replacing it).

Thanks,

-- Ben
    Could you post a link to the image? If you don't want to post the link here, you can PM me or send an email to the help desk attn: richW
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    Email received :) It's looking like when you use the 'replace' tool the new captions and keywords are not being used. I'm sending this over to our 'bug' man to look at.
  • Options
    bssmithbssmith Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    richW wrote:
    Email received :) It's looking like when you use the 'replace' tool the new captions and keywords are not being used. I'm sending this over to our 'bug' man to look at.
    Rich,

Just checking in with you for status - wondering if you guys have decided this is a bug, or a feature request. ne_nau.gif

Here's a little more background as to why I think it's a bug. I had run through a quick test several weeks prior to posting here to confirm that a particular use case would work as expected.

In this scenario, photo A is uploaded into a gallery where users can leave SmugMug comments attached to the photo. I decide that I'm going to update the metadata in the source file and then reupload it again, replacing the original. I do it this way to ensure that the SmugMug comments are still tied to the new version of photo A.

I'm 90% sure that I did this test successfully with a single image and then moved on. When I came back several weeks ago, I wasn't able to get it to work again. It's possible that I'm flat-out remembering this incorrectly, and that it never worked, but I wanted to give you the use case in case it helps with the context.

-- Ben
  • Options
    ThandoThando Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    Sorry about the delay on this. It appears to be a bug. I'll make sure that our engineers get a good look at this. We'll see what we can do to make sure it's right.
  • Options
    AuryFAuryF Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 7, 2008
    Any update on this?

I've found the same issue when replacing images via the API, using S*E, as with the Photo Tools replace action, BTW. I verified the data is in Iptc.Application2.Caption and that it works if you do a clean add, instead of replace.

Unfortunately, I discovered it shortly after uploading 3K photos to get some users eyes on them immediately. Then I got the gang updating all the captions...

I'd rather not have to individually empty each of the (~50) albums before sending the updates as they come in.

Thanks!
  • Options
    AlexanderAlexander Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    I am still experiencing this behaviour.
    Life is different.