Options

Grey's Arch - Red River Gorge KY

Me&MyCandi(5D)Me&MyCandi(5D) Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
edited April 22, 2008 in Landscapes
Had some great weather Friday so I took off from work and headed to the gorge to photograph one of my favorite arches.

highres_3842019.jpeg

I took three landscape shots, bracketed and merged together in pano fashion but then cropped to typical 16x24 aspect. Normally, the sky is always blown out.

Comments Welcomed.

Comments

• Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    This looks like a very interesting spot. I see why you would visit it often. Is there a trail?
  • Options
    jsmileyjsmiley Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    Nice picture you have there, I definitely like the angle. It appears that your 10 to 20 feet above the trail at the base is this the case?
  • Options
    ReeflectionsReeflections Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    Wow. That's some rugged terrain. Very unique angle. I like it.
    Aloha!
    Mike

Just one more thing to buy and I'll have everything I need. ;)

Reeflections Gallery
    Underwater Photography Workshops & Ikelite equipment
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2008
    Thanks for the comments! :D

Yes, there's a path to the arch but not to the photo spot. You can see the path in the lower left corner. The path is about 50-60 below the ledge I set up the camera on. (Note strong green edge coming out of bottom frame about 1/3 in from the left) The arch is only about 1.25 miles from the parking lot. (Very steep stairs to go all the way to the arch) The arch is about 40-45 feet high. If you can spot the rock almost dead center with a strong shadow on the right, I'm guessing an average size man might come up to about half the height of the rock. The rock in sun under the arch and just above the afore mentioned rock comes up to about my neck, I'm 5'-11".
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    Interesting subject, but the light and composition aren't doing it for me. It looks like... mid-day light, like something I'd see and think "that's neat" on a hike. But other than that... there's nothing that's really captivating me.

If I think "what's the subject of this photo?" my personal response is "well that hole there is kinda cool, and there's these vines, and it's steep, and ..."

Basically, lighting's not great, and picture is complex. Not having been there I can't of course offer what specifically I would do better mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2008
    CatOne wrote:
    Interesting subject, but the light and composition aren't doing it for me. It looks like... mid-day light, like something I'd see and think "that's neat" on a hike. But other than that... there's nothing that's really captivating me.

If I think "what's the subject of this photo?" my personal response is "well that hole there is kinda cool, and there's these vines, and it's steep, and ..."

Basically, lighting's not great, and picture is complex. Not having been there I can't of course offer what specifically I would do better mwink.gif

I can respect the fact that you may not care for this shot, but I felt compelled to photograph this location. It's very awe inspiring and difficult to capture. I can't do much about the existing light, can't change the orientation. The area is just to dark if you don't shoot at mid day due to the deep ravine casting shadows. I would imagine folks that have been to this location would appreciate the image.

I suppose what I have posted is more 'documentary', maybe I can make some local contrast adjustments to bring more of focus to the arch or help with the depth of the shot.
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2008
    I see the trail now when you pointed it out. I wasn't sure the first time I looked at the photo if that was a trail or just where water had run leaving a path.

I still find this photo very interesting and more so now after mentioning just how big this opening is.

Can you have someone stand in the opening and then take the photo? I don't think you need to do this to add to the photo...as I like it just the way it is, but that would really add to just how big it is :D
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2008
    I went back and tried to bring a little more dynamic back into the shot. Here is the result:

283231047_fi5uR-M.jpg

Better?
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2008
    I went back and tried to bring a little more dynamic back into the shot. Here is the result:

283231047_fi5uR-M.jpg

Better?

I like this photo to...what time of day are you taking this? And can it be taken from the other side to?
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2008
    Yes, it can be shot from the other side but the vantage point is much lower. No higher ground to stand on and more limited view. You don't get the drama of the ravine like you do with this side.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2008
    Yes, it can be shot from the other side but the vantage point is much lower. No higher ground to stand on and more limited view. You don't get the drama of the ravine like you do with this side.

I understand...sometimes its not always better on the other side :D I say either one is a keeper. Maybe try it sometime tho when there is a really nice blue sky with a few clouds. Granted you don't have much sky showing...it may change it somewhat.

There is drama in the ravine...looks really steep.