Options

Detrick shot

DblDbl Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
edited May 7, 2008 in Sports
This is my meager attempt at a Detrick shot. This has become a shot many folks attempt to mimic after photographer Chris Detrick of the Salt Lake Tribune first published a shot like this a few years back. The idea is to have the pitcher in the background out of focus against a dark background and then capture the ball in perfect focus. I got bored shooting the second game of a double header that ran into extra-inning's (14 to be exact) so fired a few frames, this was one result.

I usually try a few of these each season just for something a bit different.

281135183_52dAY-XL.jpg
Dan

Canon Gear

Comments

• Options
    WilliamClark77WilliamClark77 Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    I can't believe there are no more comments on this shot. Amazing capture.

I can appreciate how difficult catching the ball in focus is. A few weeks ago a friend asked if I'd do some shots of him target shooting his bow. I immediatly had a pic in mind of the arrow blurred about ten feet in front mid flight. I can imagine the timing for this shot was just as difficult. You did far better than me!
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Cool shot. I like it. Somehow I expect to see the throwing arm of the pitcher. It seems to see his left arm with the glove and no right arm.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    From what I can tell his right arms is already at the end of the follow through, basically tucked beneath his body on his left side so you can't see the arm.

Great shot btw! What shutter speed did you use to capture the ball that crisply?
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    I can't believe there are no more comments on this shot. Amazing capture.

I can appreciate how difficult catching the ball in focus is. A few weeks ago a friend asked if I'd do some shots of him target shooting his bow. I immediatly had a pic in mind of the arrow blurred about ten feet in front mid flight. I can imagine the timing for this shot was just as difficult. You did far better than me!

I just saw it and my first impression was .....WHOLLY F****** WOOOOOW!!!! That ball is going down a lens and a photog gonna have a painful black eye!!!

bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

did the arrow in flight turn out.....none of mine ever did very well and it is real hard to shoot both cam and bow.....I spent a lot on film trying to get a good one....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited April 21, 2008
    Thanks for the comments. Rhuarc has it correct, the arm is tucked under and next to the body for the follow through.

The timing is a bit tricky with the 300/2.8 set for f3.2, I figured a DOF of around 6 inches or so. The ball this pitcher throws is around 90 mph...so....someone much smarter than me can figure out how much time you have to get the picture. Normally I use around f5.6 for this type of shot but was in a hurry and didn't get it set. I believe I was at ISO 400, 1/5000s on the shutter speed.

William I am curious if you got your shot to turn out as well.
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • Options
    WilliamClark77WilliamClark77 Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    I knew this photo deserved to be bumped up top when I saw it. Glad to see others got to see it and comment.
    Dbl wrote:
    William I am curious if you got your shot to turn out as well.

I'm only posting in your thread because you asked. I would've pmed it to Art. I'll be more than happy to take it down if it's not kosher. Your shot is way better, imo.

No processing except cropping to a 3:4 ratio during RAW conversion. ISO 200, f5, 1/1600, +1/3 ev, shot at 40mm. Viewed 100% the arrow is in good focus considering its speed. I chose that angle because I figured it would stand out good against the green background. Oh well, that's what I get for thinking. rolleyes1.gif

282991814_6EZxg-L.jpg
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    I knew this photo deserved to be bumped up top when I saw it. Glad to see others got to see it and comment.

I'm only posting in your thread because you asked. I would've pmed it to Art. I'll be more than happy to take it down if it's not kosher. Your shot is way better, imo.

No processing except cropping to a 3:4 ratio during RAW conversion. ISO 200, f5, 1/1600, +1/3 ev, shot at 40mm. Viewed 100% the arrow is in good focus considering its speed. I chose that angle because I figured it would stand out good against the green background. Oh well, that's what I get for thinking. rolleyes1.gif

Honestly, your angle makes more sense for a deadly projectile! LoL, MOST of the time you aren't in any danger of getting killed by a baseball. At least not when it is thrown from the pitcher. Now on a wicked line drive from the batter that is another story.

Nice shot though! I like how you can see the flexing of the arrow!
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008

282991814_6EZxg-L.jpg
    Please post when you take one of these from the same angle that Dan took his from! :D Cool capture.
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Dbl wrote:
    This is my meager attempt at a Detrick shot.
    I love it. I have had some nice success with lacrosse balls-in-flight traveling at roughly the same velocity, but lacrosse balls don't have those nasty seams that would give away motion blur. Seriously, very well done.
  • Options
    TPBinKCTPBinKC Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Very nice!!!
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Dan,

I keep coming back to this photo over and over and over. The timing is unreal!!!

I know how hard it is to photograph a bird flying toward you at 20 to 30MPH. I can't imagine shooting something as small as a baseball traveling 80MPH while it's also rotating.

GREAT WORK Dan!!!!
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2008
    William, looks like that shot worked to me! Nicely done. Thanks all for the comments. Adam thanks so much for your kind words, having first hand knowledge of the fine work you produce your words are most appreciated.
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    This isn't an easy shot and you nailed it :ivar

Impressive!
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Great Photo!bowdown.gif

Take Care,
    Chuck,
    http://aperturefocus.smugmug.com
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    ccimagesccimages Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited April 24, 2008
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif WOW!! Inspiring . . .
  • Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    :jawdropAwesome Capture. What was your camera settings???
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2008
    Thank you again for the comments, it is appreciated! Dadtwins here is the information from earlier in the thread on the settings I used to get the shot. Give it a try, you will have fun with it.
    The timing is a bit tricky with the 300/2.8 set for f3.2, I figured a DOF of around 6 inches or so. The ball this pitcher throws is around 90 mph...so....someone much smarter than me can figure out how much time you have to get the picture. Normally I use around f5.6 for this type of shot but was in a hurry and didn't get it set. I believe I was at ISO 400, 1/5000s on the shutter speed.
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • Options
    bch2300bch2300 Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    KED wrote:
    I love it. I have had some nice success with lacrosse balls-in-flight traveling at roughly the same velocity, but lacrosse balls don't have those nasty seams that would give away motion blur. Seriously, very well done.

i agree- this is awesome.... inspired me to attempt my on! for now though, just little league is (about 45mph...) hard enough!

nice work!
  • Options
    ZeeZee Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    Now that is a cool shot thumb.gif

It's hard enough focusing on a subject that flying past you at 90 mph, but catching something that small heading towards you, now that's impressinve.