Options

When it is just dark dark dark

JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
edited April 1, 2005 in People
What do you do for indoor events where it is super bad lighting? I shot a event tonight and these shots are just ugly. There just wasn't anything there to work with. What should I have done diferantly other than tote a monopod?

http://pics.jamesjweg.com/gallery/461916

James.

Comments

• Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    suggestions
    i suggest that you might like to try a slower shutter speed-i see from your exif that you had 1/250th-it is possible to hand hold at 1/80th,sometimes even slower, if you brace,say elbows on the back of a seat with strap around neck and camera extended-your elbows and neck then become a tripod.a slower shutter speeed could then allow you to use a lower ISO,say 800 or even 400,although noise dosen't seem to be too much of an issue here.

I would also check your white balance-manually with a card is usually pretty good.

the main problem is not so much the lightingm,although I see what you mean, but the composition-i see some fairly long shots of people on stage,but they dont seem to be doing much so there is little interest(for me anyway)

Closer would have enabled you to get some tighter shots of peoples expressions actions etc and maybe some way of introducing a visual cue as to what is going on,you would have also been able to get some better angles rather than straight on.

Whats wrong with carrying a monopod anyway?It would have enabled you to move around and get closer-they aren't all that heavy-you can also use them to prod people into life,defend your honour and equipment from muggers etc-i take my manfrotto tripod everywhere-it stays in the car and gets used all the time

Hope this helps

greg
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    What do you do for indoor events where it is super bad lighting? I shot a event tonight and these shots are just ugly. There just wasn't anything there to work with. What should I have done diferantly other than tote a monopod?

http://pics.jamesjweg.com/gallery/461916

James.
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    Thanks for the thoughts, I agree about the monopod, it's just that I forgot it, I WILL have it for next time. I also agree about white balance. I did drop to ISO 800 after a little bit, but had to push exposure to do it. I was having bluring problems even with bracing with shutter speeds =<1/60 because the seating where I could get around the heads was on retracting bleachers, they didn't hold still. Now that you say it I see what you mean about compsition, thanks. I also see the I need a fast wide lens, my only lens whose focal length really fit it f5.6, so I went with a longer lens, stayed further back to get down to f2.8. Thanks for the input, amazing how someone else can point out what you miss.

James.