Options

Weekly Assignment #72: Candlelit Portrait

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited July 28, 2008 in Assignments
Well, let's do this one. It's tough, but if done right, you may get yourself a wall-hanger.
This challenge is about a portrait in candle light - or at least in what appears to be a candle light. :wink
No additional visible light source or the evidence of thereof should be present.
Humans only please.
One portrait per entry, multiple entries are OK.
PS OK, too, since you most likely will need it, just don't go overboard, it's about photography, not about retouching.
Let's lit some candles!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    nstamnstam Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Well, let's do this one. It's tough, but if done right, you may get yourself a wall-hanger.
    This challenge is about a portrait in candle light - or at least in what appears to be a candle light. mwink.gif
    No additional visible light source or the evidence of thereof should be present.
    Humans only please.
    One portrait per entry, multiple entries are OK.
    PS OK, too, since you most likely will need it, just don't go overboard, it's about photography, not about retouching.
    Let's lit some candles!

okay im sticking with this image!

2369364640_65b61f56a8.jpg

original exif (only auto contrast, and resize in photoshop):
    Exif IFD0

* Camera Make = Canon
    * Camera Model = Canon EOS 20D
    * X-Resolution = 72/1 = 72
    * Y-Resolution = 72/1 = 72
    * X/Y-Resolution Unit = inch (2)
    * Last Modified Date/Time = 2008:03:29 00:29:41
    * Y/Cb/Cr Positioning (Subsampling) = co-sited / datum point (2)
    * Custom Rendered = normal process (0)
    * Exposure Mode = auto exposure (0)
    * White Balance = auto (0)
    * Scene Capture Type = standard (0)

Exif Sub IFD

* Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 6/10 second = 1/1.66667 second = 0.6 second
    * Lens F-Number/F-Stop = 56/10 = F5.6
    * Exposure Program = aperture priority (3)
    * ISO Speed Ratings = 1600
    * Exif Version = 0221
    * Original Date/Time = 2008:03:29 00:29:41
    * Digitization Date/Time = 2008:03:29 00:29:41
    * Components Configuration = 0x01,0x02,0x03,0x00 / YCbCr
    * Shutter Speed Value (APEX) = 48298/65536
    Shutter Speed (Exposure Time) = 1/1.67 second
    * Aperture Value (APEX) = 325770/65536
    Aperture = F5.6
    * Exposure Bias (EV) = 0/2 = 0
    * Metering Mode = partial (6)
    * Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
    * Focal Length = 160/1 mm = 160 mm
    * Maker Note =
    * FlashPix Version = 0100
    * Colour Space = sRGB (1)
    * Image Width = 2336 pixels
    * Image Height = 3504 pixels
    * Focal Plane X-Resolution = 2336000/590 = 3959.32
    * Focal Plane Y-Resolution = 3504000/885 = 3959.32
    * Focal Plane X/Y-Resolution Unit = inch (2)
    (have to change date on 20D, camera one day ahead)
    ~n8
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2008
    nstam wrote:
    okay im sticking with this image!
    Thank you!thumb.gif
    Is this really a candle?mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you!thumb.gif
    Is this really a candle?mwink.gif

oh yea! this was the other image that i was going to use, but it isnt really portrait... it more artistic than anything else. but you can see the candles...

this isnt the assignment image! =P

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nstam/2367710379/
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2008
    nstam wrote:
    oh yea! this was the other image that i was going to use, but it isnt really portrait... it more artistic than anything else. but you can see the candles...
    this isnt the assignment image! =P
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/nstam/2367710379/
    Nice! I like it! thumb.gif
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    OK, despite that fact that I am twice the age of that last model (rolleyes1.gif, - beautiful shot nstam) I was determined to figure this one out and I just didn't think that soft candlelight is right for my husband's face. And I decided to try it the really tough way - in a completely dark room with nothing but candlelight. Wow, this was a toughie, especially on a (ahem) mature face. Six sittings and 48 photos later (do I look frustrated or bored?), here's what I finally got Nikolai -

273543906_RhLNe-M-1.jpg

ISO 400
    f/2.8
    1/15
    link to exif

Yeah comp is a bit off - I really hate doing sp's

Little hint for anyone else trying this on a face that has lived a little bit of life, a reflector under the chin (on the table, in the lap) does wonders to combat the effects of gravity. :D

3067533_URWZi#273543906_RhLNe-A-LB
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2008
    thats great!
    OffTopic wrote:
    OK, despite that fact that I am twice the age of that last model (rolleyes1.gif, - beautiful shot nstam) I was determined to figure this one out and I just didn't think that soft candlelight is right for my husband's face. And I decided to try it the really tough way - in a completely dark room with nothing but candlelight. Wow, this was a toughie, especially on a (ahem) mature face. Six sittings and 48 photos later (do I look frustrated or bored?), here's what I finally got Nikolai -

ISO 400
    f/2.8
    1/15
    link to exif

Little hint for anyone else trying this on a face that has lived a little bit of life, a reflector under the chin (on the table, in the lap) does wonders to combat the effects of gravity. :D

3067533_URWZi#273543906_RhLNe-A-LB
    i shot completely in the dark too... but i was under control, and i kind knew what i was doing! (maybe your husband didnt?) it was alot of meticulus focusing under such lowlight...
    i believe there was close to thirty shots that i took... i had put a different picture up, but the previous was more artistic than portrait.

thank you for your kind words, and a great entry! i love it!
    ~n8
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2008
    nstam wrote:
    i shot completely in the dark too... but i was under control, and i kind knew what i was doing! (maybe your husband didnt?) it was alot of meticulus focusing under such lowlight...
    i believe there was close to thirty shots that i took... i had put a different picture up, but the previous was more artistic than portrait.

thank you for your kind words, and a great entry! i love it!
    ~n8

Thanks nstam, but hubby wasn't around and doesn't know the first thing about cameras anyways; I did this myself with a remote (kinda tough when you can't see what the viewfinder sees). If I was smart I would've put a mirror behind the camera so I could at least see the lighting.

And I am never in control! lol3.gif

Saw your previous pic before you changed it and liked it too.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2008
    impressed!
    my 70-300 hunted alot during autofocus! i did some pre shots where i focus on something that looked at the same distance-ish while my lady got ready. i believe my problem was the fact that it was constrained to f5.6

youre to hard on yourself with the shes much younger than you! you look great! (not hitting on you lol)
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2008
    OffTopic wrote:

Lori, thank you very much! Nice entry!
    I wonder how many candles did you have and how far were they? In my preferred scenario - several candles 1-2 ft from the face - anything behind the subject (you in this case:-) further than 2-3 feet should have been pitch black. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Lori, thank you very much! Nice entry!
    I wonder how many candles did you have and how far were they? In my preferred scenario - several candles 1-2 ft from the face - anything behind the subject (you in this case:-) further than 2-3 feet should have been pitch black. headscratch.gif

Thanks Nikolai! I had five candles on my left (camera right) at face level about 1 foot away, two candles on my right about two feet away, and the reflector angled in my lap to bounce the light from my left under my chin. Took me a few tries to realize I needed to get the light up higher and then the right ratio to create the look I wanted.

You caught that flower arrangement behind my head, huh? Since it was mid-day I was shooting in the garage and I was too lazy to remove that from the countertop after hauling all my gear out there and moving everything around and stacking boxes to get the candles at the right height. I was lazy, I admit it. The flowers didn't show in the first test photos, so I figured I was good, but I think the angle I had the reflector in that shot is what caught it because it was only about a foot or so behind my head. Rather than reshoot for the umpteenth time I thought about burning it in or cloning to remove it...but I guess I really should've moved the flowers and reshot, but after looking at almost 50 hideous photos of myself over one night and the next day, I just didn't have it in me. eek7.gif I don't like to make nice to the camera...like most photographers I much prefer being behind the camera. I promise I won't be so lazy next time.

Better yet, maybe I'll convince hubby to do a couples sitting with me so I can try to figure out how to light two faces with candlelight without getting any horrible shadows and resubmit. :D
  • Options
    NateWagnerNateWagner Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    well, I have been meaning to try this candlelit portrait for some time now, and tonight I finally did it, taking pictures of my beautiful wife.
    Anyway, I know that a new assignment is going on now, but if y'all would be willing to give me feedback on this I would really appreciate it.

This was taken with my sigma 18-50 2.8 at 2.8 1/8th of a second.
    2391508610_72fdc6b42c.jpg?v=0

the picture on my computer is has a bit more of an orangeish tint from the candles, however when I uploaded it that disappeared (unfortunately). Maybe it's cause it's for the web, I dunno.

Nate
    Thanks,
    -Nate

Equipment
    Canon Stuff (and third party stuff as well)
    Tampa Bay Wedding Photography
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2008
    NateWagner wrote:
    well, I have been meaning to try this candlelit portrait for some time now, and tonight I finally did it, taking pictures of my beautiful wife.
    Anyway, I know that a new assignment is going on now, but if y'all would be willing to give me feedback on this I would really appreciate it.

This was taken with my sigma 18-50 2.8 at 2.8 1/8th of a second.

the picture on my computer is has a bit more of an orangeish tint from the candles, however when I uploaded it that disappeared (unfortunately). Maybe it's cause it's for the web, I dunno.

Nate
    Nate,
    thank you for the entry! thumb.gif
    I must say, it's still quite orange:-), I think bit of white balancing could help :-)
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2008
    so it's too orange? I mean, it seemed that the candles naturally caused more of that tint. I can do more with white balancing and saturation etc to drop that some more, but I thought it was supposed to be more of that because of the candles.
    Thanks,
    -Nate

Equipment
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2008
    NateWagner wrote:
    so it's too orange? I mean, it seemed that the candles naturally caused more of that tint. I can do more with white balancing and saturation etc to drop that some more, but I thought it was supposed to be more of that because of the candles.
    A little, yes, but not that far... Of course, it's all a matter of personal taste and if you like it this way - so be it, it's your picture..ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2008
    beyond the tint/coloring, are there other suggestions y'all would make on the photo?
    Thanks,
    -Nate

Equipment
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2008
    NateWagner wrote:
    beyond the tint/coloring, are there other suggestions y'all would make on the photo?
    One of the things I like the most about the candles is their weakness as a ligth source. I mean, they usually are capable of creating very dramatic shadows.
    In this case, however, you seem to have too many of them, shadows are virtually non-existent...ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2008
    ok, I took a different photo from the "session" and I played around with that a bit. Is this an improvement towards what you would suggest, or...

2393151915_dc81bc928e.jpg?v=0

thanks,
    Nate
    Thanks,
    -Nate

Equipment
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2008
    NateWagner wrote:
    ok, I took a different photo from the "session" and I played around with that a bit. Is this an improvement towards what you would suggest, or...

thanks,
    Nate
    Yes, definitely, a big one! thumb.gif
  • Options
    exploderpilotexploderpilot Banned Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    This was pretty difficult! Mine is still uploading.....used an 18-55 kit lens because that's all that was in the house. It's a little dark, but I like it.
    Edit: Here ya go.....
    AngelicaCandlelightPortrait037.jpg
  • Options
    exploderpilotexploderpilot Banned Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    Oh the noise! It definitely did not look like that in photoshop.......
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2008
    This was pretty difficult! Mine is still uploading.....used an 18-55 kit lens because that's all that was in the house. It's a little dark, but I like it.
    Edit: Here ya go.....
    Thank you! thumb.gif
    Too bad she has her eyes closedne_nau.gif , it's a great effect when you see the candle's catchlight in the eyes...deal.gif
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    276817758_C7xq9-L.jpg

Any good ?
    I don't like my own shadow on the wall. I should repeat the picture further away but it gives me too much work.mwink.gif
    May be a better table, more reading type table.
    May be I should remove the furniture in the back...
    Oh well ... I could do it. It's a self portrait BMW.:D
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2008
    Any good ?
    I don't like my own shadow on the wall. I should repeat the picture further away but it gives me too much work.mwink.gif
    May be a better table, more reading type table.
    May be I should remove the furniture in the back...
    Oh well ... I could do it. It's a self portrait BMW.:D

Antonio, unless you told us I would have never guessed this is a candlelit portrait headscratch.gif Looks more like table lamp lit... Maybe even some flash...
    Here's an idea: get no more than 3 candles (just one is fine) and put them very close to your face, no further than 50 cm. Also, try to do it at night or in a darkroom with no other light present. No need for backlighting or other fancy effects, all we need is a simple, clean candleit portrait that looks like it candelit mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Antonio, unless you told us I would have never guessed this is a candlelit portrait headscratch.gif Looks more like table lamp lit... Maybe even some flash...
    Here's an idea: get no more than 3 candles (just one is fine) and put them very close to your face, no further than 50 cm. Also, try to do it at night or in a darkroom with no other light present. No need for backlighting or other fancy effects, all we need is a simple, clean candleit portrait that looks like it candelit mwink.gif
    Nikolai,
    This is in fact a candlelit portrait. No lights in the room, no flash.
    The candles were bare, the one in the back and the one to our left.
    I shot with the tripod and the result is so amazing as the one with full moon which you will remember and where I shot myself.
    I was very quiet (not moving) for some moments as the shot took 6 seconds long (EXIF).
    In fact I made 4 shots and took this one.

Someone wiser than myself would have made a better work in CS3.
    I have used Shadow/hightlight and a blue filter to correct the orange cast.
    Previously I had also corrected the WB in the raw file.

I think I have done what you asked, or have I missed something ?
    " This challenge is about a portrait in candle light - or at least in what appears to be a candle light. mwink.gif
    Humans only please.
    "

I think you never expected such a good candlelit picture.mwink.gif
    I am very modest these days.rolleyes1.gif

I have been looking carefully around and I can see that I am a better photographer than many professionals. And I am also obviously beaten by others far better than myself.
    I am serious. I mean this. I am self convinced. Show me the opposite.

In terms of composition I am sure of what I do. I can argue with many people about many photography subjects.
    However I am aware that I am ignorant in the photography subject as in many many others. There are so many things to know, that my knowledge will ever be 1/10...0 of the whole.
    bowdown.gifDthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2008
    Mikolai,
    This is in fact a candlelit portrait. No lights in the room, no flash.
    Antonio, I don't know what to tell you. It does not look like a candlelit portrait to me. ne_nau.gif
    I think you're overcomplicating things. It should not be that hard. Set your camera on a tripod, boost the ISO to 3200, place ONE candle close to your face and shoot in AE mode at f/4 or faster. It's that easy. Good luck! thumb.gif
  • Options
    ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    Does portraits of weiss bier count? :P

277474793_PVnde-L.jpg
    -Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Antonio, I don't know what to tell you. It does not look like a candlelit portrait to me. ne_nau.gif
    I think you're overcomplicating things. It should not be that hard. Set your camera on a tripod, boost the ISO to 3200, place ONE candle close to your face and shoot in AE mode at f/4 or faster. It's that easy. Good luck! thumb.gif
    If I am on the mood today, at home and at night I will reproduce the scenario for you to see.
    But ... a portrait with one candle only ?
    I thought that "...This challenge is about a portrait in candle light - or at least in what appears to be a candle light. mwink.gif..."

OK I used 2. Was is forbiden ? Have I missunderstood ?
    Portuguese reading English, you know ... :bash

What am I missing here ?ne_nau.gif

Let's forget the incident shall we ?
    I will do that d... photo tonight:Dthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2008
    ulrikft wrote:
    Does portraits of weiss bier count? :P
    Thanks!
    It breaks a couple of rules - daylight on the background, main subject is not human, but the main lighting is nice!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2008
    I thought that "...This challenge is about a portrait in candle light - or at least in what appears to be a candle light. mwink.gif..."
    OK I used 2. Was is forbiden ? Have I missunderstood ?
    What am I missing here ?ne_nau.gif
    As I said earlier, your entry, unlike all others, does NOT appear to be taken with a candlelight. But may be it's just me ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    As I said earlier, your entry, unlike all others, does NOT appear to be taken with a candlelight. But may be it's just me ne_nau.gif
    im on the same boat as nikolai. i didnt want to jump on that image, but in the slight chance it is candle light ill throw in my two pennies(i highly debate candle usage here, the book pages are way too sharp for 6 secs)

the lightining behind the subject is extremely harsh. and to top it off, the shadow still follows through the extreme lighting... meaning the shadows light is very strong! the reflection of the eye looks like one main source! a bright source!

if this is candle light, please post the original... with orange tones! candle light is going to be way off of what photoshop wants the levels to be!

lets see the original!