Weekly Assignment #71: Steam

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited October 26, 2008 in Assignments
Remember the old LPS, QR1? I do..;-) Let's do that again, shall we?
Your task is to capture steam. Not steamy expression. Not steamy argument. Not fog, mist or some other condensation phenomenon.
I want a real, hot, burn-your-hands-if-you're-not-careful steam. :deal
Fresh pictures, as always. A bit more more than usual PS is OK.
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Bournemouth, UKPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    My First assignment, be gentle with me rolleyes1.gif

Taken this afternoon at Swange Railway station, the train had just pulled into the station when both presure release valves openned.

img_1866.jpg

Hope you enjoy

Tim
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    draggin wrote:
    My First assignment, be gentle with me rolleyes1.gif

Taken this afternoon at Swange Railway station, the train had just pulled into the station when both presure release valves openned.

Hope you enjoy

Tim

Tim, welcome to the Class!
    Great first entry! thumb.gif
    I would only crop out the left/bottom part to will the frame with the subject and worked the Curves a bit to bring up the details on the steam itself.deal.gif
    edited March 22, 2008
    Am I permitted a cropped re-curved second go??

Tim
    edited March 22, 2008
    draggin wrote:
    Am I permitted a cropped re-curved second go??
    Tim
    Sure. While we don't want to turn this into the endless recursion, one-two reposts with a better version is always welcome - unless specified oterwise..thumb.gif
    edited March 22, 2008
    Ok while Nikolia is letting me have a second go I am going to take a small liberty (nothing like pushing the teacher on the first day of school).....

While trying to find the balance of lightening the dark areas while trying not to blow the whiteness of the steam out, I found converting to black and white really made the steam standout. In someways a black and white picture is more in tune with the era of the steam train. I also gave the picture a closer crop.

img_1866-3.jpg

I just hope the teacher does not give me dedention.

Tim
    edited March 22, 2008
    draggin wrote:
    Ok while Nikolia is letting me have a second go I am going to take a small liberty (nothing like pushing the teacher on the first day of school).....

While trying to find the balance of lightening the dark areas while trying not to blow the whiteness of the steam out, I found converting to black and white really made the steam standout. In someways a black and white picture is more in tune with the era of the steam train. I also gave the picture a closer crop.

I just hope the teacher does not give me dedention.

Tim

Tim, I like the crop it's pretty much what I had in mind. thumb.gif
    However, I think desaturation made the image to lose more than it gained. I actually liked the see-through of the dark brown buildings... And I still think the steam could benefit from more accented details. If I may be so bold to put you in a direction of this little gallery of mine simply to show what I had in mind when I'm talking about the steam's details...
    HTH
    edited March 23, 2008
    Point taken, funny thing was I had a couple of wispy steam shots but choose the blantant steam blast as I thought it was more affective ne_nau.gif.

Well I will not post another picture, I will let somebody else have a go, I seemed to be hogging this assignment............

Thanks Nikolai

Tim
    edited March 23, 2008
    draggin wrote:
    Point taken, funny thing was I had a couple of wispy steam shots but choose the blantant steam blast as I thought it was more affective ne_nau.gif.

Well I will not post another picture, I will let somebody else have a go, I seemed to be hogging this assignment............

Thanks Nikolai

Tim

No, no, this one is actually great. I like blatant:-) It's just those buildings added a nice touch, which was lost in the last treatment...
  • spb13spb13 Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    I had the same idea about finding steam as draggin...a train.

This is from the whistle.

269574455_xCbm8-L.jpg

And here they are letting off some extra steam.

269581365_zV3EC-L.jpg
    edited March 23, 2008
    spb13 wrote:
    I had the same idea about finding steam as draggin...a train.

This is from the whistle.

And here they are letting off some extra steam.

I like the first one! Nice steam! thumb.gif
  • MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    I shot this while on vacation last week. I liked the contrast of the steam and icicles. Technically not the most exciting photo, but I believe it fits the assignment.

270187372_FTMva-M.jpg

I'll see if I can find a more creative version for the assignment.

Dale
    edited March 25, 2008
    I shot this while on vacation last week. I liked the contrast of the steam and icicles. Technically not the most exciting photo, but I believe it fits the assignment.

I'll see if I can find a more creative version for the assignment.

Dale
    Dale,
    thank you, but I was really looking for more prominent theme featuring. ne_nau.gif
  • MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif I'll work on a better entry. I've got a busy week, so it may be a late entry.

We've not had as many entries this week as last. ne_nau.gif

Dale
  • Joe MJoe M Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    When I first read this assignment I thought it was a trick. Because even though it's been a long time. I remember from chemistry that steam is invisible. What we think is visible steam is actually condensed water droplets.

Regardless here is my image for the assignment and it comes with a little story. I went out Sunday evening to take the photo just for this assignment. I had to drive my truck down an old dirt road on some power lines. After taking the photo I was driving out and got stuck. I ended up calling my wife to come get me, she had a great laugh. The next morning I got a wrecker to pull me out, the driver also had a nice laugh. I still feel like the image was worth it.

270327967_7sU5Q-L.jpg

EXIF
    NC Retouched SmugMug Gallery

"Still of hand will never make up for emptiness of heart." -Rodney Smith
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    Actually shot this TRI-X film and scanned it in.
    f/9, @ .4

270367108_dem3F-L.jpg
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
    edited March 25, 2008
    Joe M wrote:
    When I first read this assignment I thought it was a trick. Because even though it's been a long time. I remember from chemistry that steam is invisible. What we think is visible steam is actually condensed water droplets.
    You're correct, but there is also a more layman meaning for this term...:-)
    Nice entry, regardless:-) thumb.gif
    Joe M wrote:
    Regardless here is my image for the assignment and it comes with a little story. I went out Sunday evening to take the photo just for this assignment. I had to drive my truck down an old dirt road on some power lines. After taking the photo I was driving out and got stuck. I ended up calling my wife to come get me, she had a great laugh. The next morning I got a wrecker to pull me out, the driver also had a nice laugh. I still feel like the image was worth it.
    That's what I call "going an extra mile to get the shot"! thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    Sorry about the troubles! iloveyou.gif
    edited March 25, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    Actually shot this TRI-X film and scanned it in.
    f/9, @ .4
    Nice shot thumb.gif , but it would be nicer to see more of a steam and less of the kitchen ne_nau.gif
  • OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    Is this enough steam? If not, I have one that is all steam that is kinda cool.

271286791_qmzvn-L-1.jpg
    edited March 27, 2008
    OffTopic wrote:
    Is this enough steam? If not, I have one that is all steam that is kinda cool.
    I like it, very steamy! thumb.gif
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    274197237_TyLwS-L.jpg

Does this late entry counts ?
    I've not been around in the last two weeks ... :cry
    I was not ill, thank you. :D
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
    edited April 3, 2008
    Does this late entry counts ?
    I've not been around in the last two weeks ... :cry
    I was not ill, thank you. :D

I noticed:-)

Thank you, Antonio, but don't you think a tighter crop would suit the theme better? mwink.gif
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    I noticed:-)

Thank you, Antonio, but don't you think a tighter crop would suit the theme better? mwink.gif
    I sincerely don't think so.:D

In the picture the steam takes in important part of the frame and it has a lot of impact because it is white over blue.

Moreover, the silhouette enhances the steam while the sky has no clouds at all.
    In fact, the other white on the near right is just another chimney.

And look at the composition: look at the struture which crosses the photo and the Vs with all those cables...

In this picture you have two colors, black and white.
    The white just pops ! And that white is the steam.:D

I didn't use the flash this time :D

I am very good am i not ? rolleyes1.gifrofl
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • globaltravellerglobaltraveller Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2008
    Was brewing coffee yesterday, thought it might make for a nice shot, checked here, and lo-and-behold there is "steam". :D

402773482_8MjLU-L.jpg

f/5.6, 0.2s
    edited October 26, 2008
    Was brewing coffee yesterday, thought it might make for a nice shot, checked here, and lo-and-behold there is "steam". :D
    f/5.6, 0.2s
    Thank you! thumb.gif