• Gear
  • Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Support SmugMug Support Move photos problem

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar-21-2008, 11:45 AM
#1
batts is offline batts OP
lost in confusion
batts's Avatar
Move photos problem
I'm trying to organize my photo galleries and have ran into this problem now twice, so I know it could be reproduce it again easily.

I have a gallery that is about 1700 photos. I'm moving some photos out of that gallery into a new gallery. I selected about 40 photos to move to the new gallery and after about 5 minute I get a default error message in firefox of "The connection was reset. The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading." basically looks to me as it is timing out or something.

I then refresh back to my home page, navigate to my new album that I'm moving things to and notice everything is not there. After waiting a while, I assume the server must still be moving the photos, they all are there. Is this normal to get an error message when moving many photos from one album to another?

~
thanks
Old Mar-21-2008, 11:50 AM
#2
Andy is offline Andy
Bicameral
Andy's Avatar
The browser is giving you the error, because it's such a large, large gallery. I really wish I had a better answer for you, but this particular action (moving photos in a ginormous gallery) is sometimes rather difficult. I have a beefy machine with gobs of ram, and it works okay.
Old Mar-21-2008, 12:04 PM
#3
batts is offline batts OP
lost in confusion
batts's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
The browser is giving you the error, because it's such a large, large gallery. I really wish I had a better answer for you, but this particular action (moving photos in a ginormous gallery) is sometimes rather difficult. I have a beefy machine with gobs of ram, and it works okay.
Does a 64 X2 4200+ with 2 gigs running Kubuntu seem sub-par to do the job? I know it's not a powerhouse for the latest and greatest. I'm also lost to see how moving files hosted at smugmug would require me to have a beefy machine.

Maybe my only route it to move less photos at time to see what the sweet spot is, since this happened every time I've moved more then 30 photos. Seems odd.. Maybe I'll try another browser, or my other PC.
Old Mar-21-2008, 12:21 PM
#4
Andy is offline Andy
Bicameral
Andy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by batts
Does a 64 X2 4200+ with 2 gigs running Kubuntu seem sub-par to do the job? I know it's not a powerhouse for the latest and greatest. I'm also lost to see how moving files hosted at smugmug would require me to have a beefy machine.

Maybe my only route it to move less photos at time to see what the sweet spot is, since this happened every time I've moved more then 30 photos. Seems odd.. Maybe I'll try another browser, or my other PC.
Yeah but the browser is churning all those thumbs, too. I've seen it before is all I'm sayin...

SteveM will pop in, he might have some tips. Standby.
Old Mar-22-2008, 11:54 AM
#5
SteveM is offline SteveM
SmugMug Pro Concierge
SteveM's Avatar
As far as I know, this should be all server-sided. It might take some time to inititally render the page with all the thumbs, but afterwards I think that's about all of the client-side stuff. Unfortunately, my best advice is to either try to move less images at a time, or it sometimes seems like doing it during off-peak times helps, but I might be wrong about that.

I wish I had a better answer!
__________________
Steve Mills
BizDev Account Manager
Image Specialist & Pro Concierge

http://www.downriverphotography.com
Old Mar-22-2008, 04:03 PM
#6
batts is offline batts OP
lost in confusion
batts's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM
As far as I know, this should be all server-sided. It might take some time to inititally render the page with all the thumbs, but afterwards I think that's about all of the client-side stuff. Unfortunately, my best advice is to either try to move less images at a time, or it sometimes seems like doing it during off-peak times helps, but I might be wrong about that.

I wish I had a better answer!
Yes there is some initinal time to create all the thumbs. I feel as you mentioned this could be a server processing issue, limit, or something along those lines and I might have better results durning off-peak.

I'm going to look into this more, maybe it will be help to someone, it is a very annoying problem. I've tried it on my Macbook, and have the same results, using firefox and safari.

So since I'm moving many photos, and there really isn't any way around it, I'll try different combinations, different times (off-peak), and report back my findings. So far anything over 40 isn't possible, on any of my systems, this probably wasn't off-peak times.
Old Mar-22-2008, 06:55 PM
#7
batts is offline batts OP
lost in confusion
batts's Avatar
interesting find, problem? file bug report?
Using the Move function, I found my limit to be about 10-12 photos I could move at a time, it didn't matter which OS I was using or browser.

The interesting information I did find was that I believe the problem of the move function relates to the size of the gallery and how many photos it has in it. I was moving photos from a gallery with about 100 photos, selected to move 30 photos, they moved without a problem, in about 2-3 minutes. When trying to move the same number of photos out of my gallery with over 1500 photos, I'd get the browser time out error after about 12 minutes, and I would slowly see the photos move to the correct gallery after refreshing that gallery every so often. Probably about 30 minutes later I would finally see the last photo I selected moved to the proper gallery.

My only thought is that there is a direct relationship with the size of the gallery (amount of photos) and how the "move photo" function responds. I'd be willing to bet others would see the same issues on such a large gallery trying to move photos from it to another. I could only guess at what the problem is, but I do think it is a problem related to the ones physical size of the gallery.

I really think this is a bug, if not a physical limit of a gallery to function as one would expect. If I can help out in any way with feedback, or anything, please let me know, because this problem is very annoying. Maybe others haven't tried to move as many photos from such a larger gallery? It's hard to believe I'm the first.

hope to hear something..
thanks

Last edited by batts; Mar-24-2008 at 06:54 PM. Reason: should i repost to a bug report on large galleries?
Old Mar-22-2008, 08:13 PM
#8
cjyphoto is offline cjyphoto
Major grins
cjyphoto's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
The browser is giving you the error, because it's such a large, large gallery. I really wish I had a better answer for you, but this particular action (moving photos in a ginormous gallery) is sometimes rather difficult. I have a beefy machine with gobs of ram, and it works okay.
I don't understand this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I figure the only role my computer plays in something like moving photos is telling the servers at Smugmug what I want them to do. What role does my computer play in this task?
__________________
My Pictures : My Gear
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own - Adam Savage
Old Apr-06-2008, 10:07 AM
#9
Andy is offline Andy
Bicameral
Andy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjyphoto
I don't understand this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I figure the only role my computer plays in something like moving photos is telling the servers at Smugmug what I want them to do. What role does my computer play in this task?
Well, there are a zillion thumbnails we're displaying in your browser in the move tool...

Can the tool be better for large galleries? Yup.
Old Apr-08-2008, 11:38 AM
#10
batts is offline batts OP
lost in confusion
batts's Avatar
Move issue still present when moving photos out of large galleries (over 1000 images) to empty galleries. It seems to be getting better, I can move between 20-40 images more often without it timing out.

Not sure if anything was changed or I'm just having better luck.
Tell The World!  

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump