Options

How much to charge for a single photo?

ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
edited November 30, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
The alumni relations center where I work (Valparaiso University) wants to use a photo or two of my shots of the University Pep Band from a game in which they encouraged several alumni to play in the band...

...problem is, I don't know what to charge on a per picture basis for giving them rights to photos I've already taken. I've never done this.

Knowing that I'm not a full this is my career pro but also not a newbie at taking photos either, what should I charge?

EDIT: If you would prefer not to say what you've charged for rights to single shots on here, you may feel to free to PM me. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    The alumni relations center where I work (Valparaiso University) wants to use a photo or two of my shots of the University Pep Band from a game in which they encouraged several alumni to play in the band...

Since you work there, did you take the pics for any work related aspect? Did you shoot them while "on the clock" if you will? If so, looks to me like they should have access to them.

Did they issue you "field credentials" as a courtesy? If so, you might want to take that kindness into account, for without it, you probably wouldn't even been allowed to take any field level shots.

I'd take this info into account, then price as you feel is fair.
    Randy
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2008
    rwells wrote:
    Since you work there, did you take the pics for any work related aspect? Did you shoot them while "on the clock" if you will? If so, looks to me like they should have access to them.

Did they issue you "field credentials" as a courtesy? If so, you might want to take that kindness into account, for without it, you probably wouldn't even been allowed to take any field level shots.

I'd take this info into account, then price as you feel is fair.

I work as a network administrator at Valparaiso University, so my taking of photographs was after hours and not any part of my job description (or department). I was never issued any field credentials, being a known person on campus I am able to sit on the sidelines during games... although the pictures they want are not of the game play, but of the pep band (which I also often play in, so I'd been taking pictures of my fellow pep banders during the half of the game I shoot pictures for).

The thing is I don't know any guidelines to "price as I see is fair" as anytime I've been contracted to do a photoshoot it was priced for my time to shoot... not for a picture I'd already taken that someone wanted licensing to.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    I have no idea, really :D but this might help?
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    I have no idea, really :D but this might help?

Thanks while that would probably be an awesome book to add to my collection... I unfortunately do not have the luxury of time to order, receive and read it... they want to get the photo in publication rather quickly (yay and argh) so my timing to figure out what to ask for is very limited ;_;
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    A quick and dirty idea might be to go to a stock photo library online, find a similar photo searching for "college pep band" or somesuch, similar size to yours and see wht the licence cost of a one-time publish use is.

ne_nau.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    SaltForkSaltFork Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Cat -

I looked at your website and you have some gorgeous photos.clap.gif

But.....ne_nau.gif

as I considered your question, I looked at what you charge for prints. Thirty-nine cents for a 4x6 tells me that you don't value your work very much. (I think that is a shame - by the way - because you have some beautiful work!)

Perhaps you should consider trading the usage rights (this one time) to the alumni relations folks for a very clear photo credit that would drive alumni to your website. I would even try for a mention in the accompanying article to go along with a caption credit. Then... I'd raise my print prices if I were you!

Just my $0.02. Good luck.
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2008
    I've already been published in the alumni magazine for a photo of the new president they just elected (when I donated pictures for the credit) but this time they really want to pay me.

I shoot pictures of college students who have no money, it's not that I don't value my work, it's that most people who look at my prints don't have the money for my work (and rarely purchase even at those prices!) Also as far as basketball is concerned this was my first year EVER shooting basketball... so it's not like I can boast "mad skills" though I certainly have learned a lot :) Thank you for the great feedback about my photos.

Anyhoo... the guy in charge is very insistent that I must name my price, I asked what the "going rate" was and he didn't want to undercut me (or overpay me either I guess) but yeah... he wants me to name a price which makes it all the more stressful, heh.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, keep it coming.
    SaltFork wrote:
    Cat -

I looked at your website and you have some gorgeous photos.clap.gif

But.....ne_nau.gif

as I considered your question, I looked at what you charge for prints. Thirty-nine cents for a 4x6 tells me that you don't value your work very much. (I think that is a shame - by the way - because you have some beautiful work!)

Perhaps you should consider trading the usage rights (this one time) to the alumni relations folks for a very clear photo credit that would drive alumni to your website. I would even try for a mention in the accompanying article to go along with a caption credit. Then... I'd raise my print prices if I were you!

Just my $0.02. Good luck.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    $125.00
    Specific enough?mwink.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    $125.00
    Specific enough?mwink.gif

Thanks this is very useful. If anyone else has random ball park figures I can provide to them I plan to take all amounts suggested and then round them off to the average price suggested :)
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    I usually get 50-100 dollars for a feature front page picture as a freelance for the local paper. 25-35 dollars for sports shots inside the paper.
  • Options
    SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    You've already taken the photo I take it? If so then just a flat $50. It's all pure profit, no need to be greedy or try to stick it to them. Put that towards a new CF card or towards your next lens.

However if they "ask" you to shoot something else for them in the future then you should be setting up prices based on your time and what they want.

cheerleader.gif
  • Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Maybe I missed it, but did you indicate a size? Additionally, do you have to get it printed (they're paying for 1 print) or do they want the digital so they can reprint however they want?

The University is starting up some talks for ~20" prints of a few of my shots and I'm looking in the $75-$125 range depending on if they want digitals, etc. Doesn't matter what the size I'd like to have my name and/or website on it.

Another theory I've been toying with is... how much does that new piece of gear cost, and price accordingly. Think of it like bartering, a flash for a photo. Within reason, of course.

Best of luck and tell us what you decide on (please) thumb.gif
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    What are they using it for? Advertising? How big is it going to run and how many copies?

I could see $150 min - $600 max
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2008
    Clarification for the questions asked:

I am fairly certain it is going in their university magazine which is sent out to alumni with news about what is going on here:
    http://www.valpo.edu/valpomag/
    Last time when I "donated" photos to get my name out, I had pictures of the new president-elect (two photos in the actual print magazine) used: http://www.valpo.edu/valpomag/news/heckler2.php

Size that it's going to be printed? I would guess no bigger than my hand or a half a page max... it's probably just going to be talking about alumni support of university events such as the games in which they had alumni fill the pep band during breaks for ESPN games. It was a big deal that so many alumni came to help.

Yes the photo was already taken.

And yes, last time I "donated" photos my name was on the photos used in print. This time they are very insistent on wanting to compensate me for usage of my photography.

Thanks again for the varied recommendations!
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2008
    Hmm, evidently this piece is wanted for a more specific Alumni newsletter:

"This is the Alumni Relations "Alumni News" newsletter. It mails to around 30,000 alumni and friends of the university. Let me know please as soon as you can, I will need to get your pricing approved by the AR office before moving forward."
    Shima wrote:
    Clarification for the questions asked:

I am fairly certain it is going in their university magazine which is sent out to alumni with news about what is going on here:
    http://www.valpo.edu/valpomag/
    Last time when I "donated" photos to get my name out, I had pictures of the new president-elect (two photos in the actual print magazine) used: http://www.valpo.edu/valpomag/news/heckler2.php

Size that it's going to be printed? I would guess no bigger than my hand or a half a page max... it's probably just going to be talking about alumni support of university events such as the games in which they had alumni fill the pep band during breaks for ESPN games. It was a big deal that so many alumni came to help.

Yes the photo was already taken.

And yes, last time I "donated" photos my name was on the photos used in print. This time they are very insistent on wanting to compensate me for usage of my photography.

Thanks again for the varied recommendations!
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    Going here: http://photographersindex.com/stockprice.htm and plugging in your specs (magazine, 1/2page, 30k circulation) gives a range of $175-$425 average of $300.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2008
    Going here: http://photographersindex.com/stockprice.htm and plugging in your specs (magazine, 1/2page, 30k circulation) gives a range of $175-$425 average of $300.

Yeah does that include FREE college news letters or just paid subscriptions to magazines and newspapers.

I think ya'll are just putting way, way to much thought into the price of the picture. It was a candid shot that he took on his own, some one saw it, liked it, had the right people in it and thought it would be great in the FREE Alumi newletter sent out.

I mean really would you charge your own employer $150-$600 for a picture you took at a company softball game for fun that going to run in the company news letter sent to all the employees??
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2008
    I consider 30,000 alumni and friends of the university receiving this much different from a softball game photo going to local people.

Anyway, I asked for 75 a photo.

I'm quite certain they normally pay a LOT more for their photos for the pro's that regularly shoot, but I'm trying to get my foot in the door so I am starting at that amount in hopes of getting future gigs....

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

(also the rumor is that they might be asking for 2 photos, so 75 x 2 = 150 in my pocket)

Gotta wait for response now to see how that goes, but should be ok I'm hoping.
    Yeah does that include FREE college news letters or just paid subscriptions to magazines and newspapers.

I think ya'll are just putting way, way to much thought into the price of the picture. It was a candid shot that he took on his own, some one saw it, liked it, had the right people in it and thought it would be great in the FREE Alumi newletter sent out.

I mean really would you charge your own employer $150-$600 for a picture you took at a company softball game for fun that going to run in the company news letter sent to all the employees??
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2008

Yes. And I have.
    Are they paying to print copies of the newsletter to go to all the employees?
    Yes. Nothing is free.
    First of all they said they were going to pay for it. Second they expect improved morale and hence a gain in productivity and financial reward on the back end for sending out that newsletter. Companies put stuff like this into their budget for a reason. School is a business too; they are just using the newsletter for a slightly different purpose.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008

If they specifically told me that they wanted to charge me the going rate then of course I would.

The free part of this is not relevant, by the way. Colleges use these "free" newsletters to keep the alumini in touch and engaged with their alma mater. And this tends to keep them donating money long after they have graduated. Don't be fooled into thinking they don't profit from the newsletter just because you can't see a direct link in the money chain. :)
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    Yes. And I have.
    Are they paying to print copies of the newsletter to go to all the employees?
    Yes. Nothing is free.
    First of all they said they were going to pay for it. Second they expect improved morale and hence a gain in productivity and financial reward on the back end for sending out that newsletter. Companies put stuff like this into their budget for a reason. School is a business too; they are just using the newsletter for a slightly different purpose.

There's a reason why Gift Development and Alumni Relations are usually tied to the same budget in a University. deal.gif

Businesses spend money on publications and projects only if there is a goal related to the bottom line: to fundraise ($), build customer or employee loyalty ($), or as thinly veiled advertisements ($).
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    mercphoto wrote:
    Don't be fooled into thinking they don't profit from the newsletter just because you can't see a direct link in the money chain. :)

15524779-Ti.gif

Free magazine is a euphemism for EXPENSIVE AD.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2008
    Businesses spend money on publications and projects only if there is a goal related to the bottom line: to fundraise ($), build customer or employee loyalty ($), or as thinly veiled advertisements ($).

Exactly. In my prior biz career I spent my years dealing with government and education. Considering it is their 150th Anniversary I'd bet they are garnering more fund-raised monies (grants and donations) from school pride than normal. And they ARE going to spend it. The writing is all over the wall on this one. She's dealing the the decision maker and he's getting his money from AR.
    Anyway, the guy gave this much time to decide, I think you would have been able to haggle with him on the spot in a 2 minute conversation for the highest claudermilk posted to the lowest...
    Good luck and I hope you get some more work out of it. thumb.gif

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008

I don't know about the college you graduated from, but typically the "free" Alumni newsletter includes subtle (or not so) suggestions to make donations to the school and/or Alumni association.

So, while there isn't a paid subscription as such, you can virtually guarantee there will be money raised.

$75 each seems reasonable considering the circumstances. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2008
    mbellot wrote:

$75 each seems reasonable considering the circumstances. thumb.gif

And that's what I've been saying from the start, HELLO?!?!

If they hired him to shoot head shots of Dept Heads for the news letter then yeah he should be chargeing them standard rates as it was a contracted job, I belive I also said that too.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2008
    And that's what I've been saying from the start, HELLO?!?!

If they hired him to shoot head shots of Dept Heads for the news letter then yeah he should be chargeing them standard rates as it was a contracted job, I belive I also said that too.

Wow conversation here really heated up a lot since I last posted!!

But yeah, I am asking what I'm asking since under the present circumstances it seems like my best bet and I'd really like them to consider me for more shots in the future.

But yeah as everyone says, we are preparing for our 150th anniversary at the university so a photo of alumni playing in the pep band is a pretty big deal... let us also consider that in order to GET alumni to show up to the pep band for that ESPN game that they offered the incentive of a ton of free pizza and drinks to all alumni who did come (in addition to feeding the band)... this money coming just from the alumni association, not even the department that is actually publishing their newsletter.

But yeah they have rather nice budgets for things that will in return bring them back more money in donations :)

Valpo funds buildings based on donations for example, tuition just pays for basic educational needs (staffing, faculty and such), all else is donations.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    OK, here's a question, Why are you charging more than $12.00?

This is the amount you have posted on your Smugmug site for a commercial license.

Sam
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2008
    Sam wrote:

This is the amount you have posted on your Smugmug site for a commercial license.

Sam

Well then I'll fix that.

I haven't sold licenses before, so obviously no one looks on my website for those...

EDIT: licenses updated
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008

Probably not, I don't know. The question was asked what was a reasonable amount. OK, here's a reasonable amount pulled from a commonly-used tool rather than a number out of my butt. It's a starting point. I notice the fee asked for was $75 which is probably about where I'd have put it considering the quote tool's information and the specific situation. Seems more than fair. Remember, the college is said to be insisting on paying for it, and likely expect to pay the going rate.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    Sam wrote:

Sam

Sam (the wise man) always manages to ZOOM in on some aspect of our business behavior that's stoopid. What's both irritating and humbling is that he's usually spot-on in his observations. How does he do that??? And Sam, you gotta have way too much time on your hands.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.