Options

Where is Noise Reduction in your Workflow?

Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
edited March 13, 2008 in Finishing School
Where is noise reduction in your workflow, and why?

I do my NR after all base adjustments like exposure control and white balance, and after global and local colour and contrast adjustments like D-Lighting, levels and curves, colour balance. BUT it goes before sharpening, cropping, colour profile, and "output."

Reasoning: doing these changes (like lightening) create or reveal noise through dithering or other computational reasons. Although I have never done a side-by-side, I am going on the advice of Jason P. Odell, author of "Guide to Capture NX."

Others?
dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.

Where is your NR done? 19 votes

At the front end, before anything else
31% 6 votes
Almost last, just before sharpening and cropping
36% 7 votes
Changes with each shoot scenario
15% 3 votes
It doesn't matter
5% 1 vote
I don't know
10% 2 votes

Comments

• Options
    Duffy PrattDuffy Pratt Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    I can't vote because the correct option for me does not appear on the ballot.

I will typically reduce noise after leaving ACR, but before doing anything in PS. I use Noiseware. In theory, there would be times when I might refrain from doing a strong move in ACR because it would exacerbate the noise. I haven't run into this problem in practice, at least not yet.

The idea of eliminating noise early comes down to this: you want to eliminate the noise before you do anything that would amplify it. The most notorious ways to amplify noise are sharpening, and lightening dark areas.

Basically, I think that as long as you are getting rid of the noise before you can see that you have worsened it, then you are probably OK.

Duffy
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    I can't vote because the correct option for me does not appear on the ballot.

I will typically reduce noise after leaving ACR, but before doing anything in PS. I use Noiseware.

Ditto. I don't use it a lot but when necessary, its a show stopper. So that means doing everything in ACR or LR, but not capture sharpening because I'll do that AFTER running Noiseware.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited March 12, 2008
    Frequently, I use NoiseWear on a selection in an adjustment layer, so that I can dial back the noise, like in the sky for instance, but not affect other areas of interest in the image. I do this after popping out of ARC, and before sharpening. I usually crop first thing after Raw conversion, I do not think cropping affects noise directly in any way.

The best way to avoid noise is avoiding under exposure of course.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    dusty-dogdusty-dog Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    I have found that the noise reduction software in Capture NX to be excellent. But, once you run it, it slows the program down miserably. Extremely miserably. But, it's really good. So, it's the last thing I do when converting and processing an image in NX, and only if necessary, and before I open the converted tif in CS3. There are times when I'll finish process an image in CS3, and decide that it needs some noise reduction. So, I'll open the image back up in NX, just to reduce the noise. I hate the noise reducer in CS3, and I don't feel like spending more money right now on a Noise Ninja or whatever plug-in. So, NX is it for now. It's a good thing it's so good.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    Mine is largely dictated by my RAW converter, but happily they see it the way I do. NN gets run very early in the processing pipeline for the reason Duffy outlined: you don't want to amplify the noise before trying to eliminate it.
  • Options
    Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    To those who reduce noise right away, what do you do when you have reduced noise, lightened/brightened/exposure controlled the image and have revealed/created MORE noise? Do you reduce noise again at the risk of losing detail again? ne_nau.gif
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,825 moderator
    edited March 13, 2008
    Van Isle wrote:
    To those who reduce noise right away, what do you do when you have reduced noise, lightened/brightened/exposure controlled the image and have revealed/created MORE noise? Do you reduce noise again at the risk of losing detail again? ne_nau.gif

I've only had to deal with that scenario in a few instances and I usually look for areas where the noise is most "visible" which is usually large regions with little detail, like a sky for instance. In that case, I build a mask of just the obvious region and noise reduce that region in a new layer. Areas with a lot of detail usually don't need the additional reduction if the detail has enough interest.

It's always a subjective decision, so use your best judgement.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums