Options

An update on Canon 5D Mk II rumors ;)

Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
edited September 17, 2008 in Cameras
Yes it's only a rumor, but nevertheless fun to read.

This time the claim is:
The new 5D II will not be released at Photokina, but instead will be a
surprise announcement on April 22 ...

The specs of the new camera are as follows (final name unavailable):

- 15.3 MP full frame CMOS sensor (vastly improved light-gathering
capacity per pixel: improved micro lenses; miniaturized micro circuitry;
enhanced signal/noise ratio)

- Weather sealing same as 1Ds Mark III
- Dual Digic III with all-new "CXR" NR system reported to best 3rd party
NR software. Available as a C.F with 4 levels of customizable parameters.

- 14 bit A/D conversion
- ISO 12800 (C.F. up to 25600)
- Reported 1 2/3 stop sensitivity improvement
- All-new 29-point TTL CMOS sensor with 12 cross-type for F/2.8 or faster lens (35% faster than 40D)
- Micro lens fine adjustment for up to 14 lenses
- 300,000 exposure shutter durability
- 6.0 / 3.0 fps
- 3.0" LCD with 922,000 pixels
- EOS Integrated Cleaning System
- Live View (improved from 450D; latest generation)
- 6/3 fps continuous shooting for up to 68 frames
- MSRP $3499, available June 2

Original source:
http://pma-rumours.blogspot.com/2008/03/5d-mkii-announced-in-april.html

Personaly I find these specs too good, almost as if Canon listened to
their customers ;) I have no idea which format a 922000 pixel LCD
would have, do you? If this camera is true it is not for me, I woudln't
want to give up 1.6x crop only to have to buy longer lenses. The 40D
is still a steal with the current 150€ cashback (in Europe).
“To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
― Edward Weston

Comments

• Options
    raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2008
    This would be a perfect addition to my 1D MkIIn! Now if only it was real! rolleyes1.gif
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2008
    -All-new 29-point TTL CMOS sensor with 12 cross-type for F/2.8 or faster lens (35% faster than 40D)
    - Micro lens fine adjustment for up to 14 lenses
    - 300,000 exposure shutter durability
    - 6.0 / 3.0 fps
    - 3.0" LCD with 922,000 pixels

Hmmm...if true, I smell a 50D brewing
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
    edited March 11, 2008
    And I smell a jokester brewing. I don't believe this rumor.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    FreezframeFreezframe Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2008
    Joke maybe !!!
    David_S85 wrote:
    And I smell a jokester brewing. I don't believe this rumor.

Would be interesting to see if it will have the newly develop CMOS ????

Brady ne_nau.gif
    Dad/Photograher:ivar
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited March 11, 2008
    Sounds great to me, I'd buy one.

This would be a great reply to to the D3...which Canon really needs, I believe.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2008
    My 5D just more than 1 year old, not in time to change yet. Please hold on for another year before I save enough for upgrade.

The longe we wait, the more good stuff may add. Hopefully, we get more advanced version after a year.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,919 moderator
    edited March 12, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Sounds great to me, I'd buy one.

This would be a great reply to to the D3...which Canon really needs, I believe.

15524779-Ti.gif If true, these specs would be a major improvement for the 5D, and in that price range I think only major improvements matter. Canon has to do something like this to stay competitive with the recent Nikon leap forward. There is little question about the if, but we'll see about the when.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2008
    There is an update on this particular rumor on dpreview:
    The CMOS in the new camera will be an entirely new generation, not based on the current flagship or the current camera it is replacing. The reason Canon can do this without cutting into the 1D series is because the new flagship will best the 5D in 3 key areas: frame rate, buffer, and AF. Canon recognizes these are extremely important to sports photographers. No one shooting pro sports goes backwards to save a few thousand dollars on a body. Canon knows this and understands it isn't competing against itself - even if amateurs on forums such as this (who wont buy the pro-series cam) do.

The CXR NR system will detail retention at 12800 similar to 3200 on current model, though a 1 2/3 stop improvement is the conservative, stated estimate. Canon hopes to create a "wow" factor with a conservative estimate that surpasses itself in studio/ pro review tests, because they know at this level, you'll be looking there. The philosophy here is that it will create such a "buzz," many who would not consider this camera will consider it. Calling a 2-stop advantage a 2-stop advantage would simply be meeting expectations. FPS will also slightly exceed 6 (and 3), as stated. Canon received negative feedback for the 6.5 FPS quoted in the 40D and learned from their mistake here. (Expect Nikon to underpromise at D3 and above cameras in the future. This is common when technology advancements under perform "consumer pull")

The weather sealing will, in fact, be the same as the current flagship. This is in direct response to Nikon and Pentax. Expect full weather sealing to be a feature in all but low-end (Rebel) bodies in the next cycle. You can thank Pentax for this.

Battery life will only be improved by just under 10% due to the extra processing required.

The market segment is not in direct competition with the D300. Just as the 5D created a new class of camera 3 years ago, the new 5D will create a similar new niche above the D300, but below the current Canon flagship. It will remain the affordable, full-frame niche that Nikon chose not to produce. The new Canon flagship, this Fall, will have a "1.5:1 price/performance advantage to the Nikon flagship." (Read carefully: this statement refers to the coming Canon flagship, not the 5D II being discussed here).

This stuff about underpromiseing cameras sounds wierd.
    Also it reads like a photographer speaks about his dreams
    ..imo, it all sounds too good to be true.

See also here: http://1001noisycameras.blogspot.com/2008/03/canon-5d-mark-ii-rumors-day-after-new.html
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Cool, I get to use this smiley now!

:bigbs:bigbs:bigbs:D

Seems to me that someone just needed to generate a blog entry and some traffic. I think those specs are pulled from someone's rear end.

To be honest, the whole "next 5D" mania is kind of amusing, what is it that your 5D users now hate so much about your cameras? 6 months ago you guys were all still calling it the best thing since sliced bread & recommending it for every photographic application known, even ones to which it isn't suited. Today it's all about how soon is the replacement availalbe so the nasty old model can get summarily ditched. I don't understand the flip. ne_nau.gifscratch
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2008
    I didn't read anywhere that the 5D was getting ditched headscratch.gif
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    Duckys54Duckys54 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Sounds cool, but my main reason I don't really believe is becuase the fps is a downgrade from the 450D and that's a helluvalot of pixels for that size LCD.
    I am Trevor and I have upgraded:
    Canon 40D
    Canon EF-S 17-85 IS

http://www.flickr.com/trevaftw
  • Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Duckys54 wrote:
    Sounds cool, but my main reason I don't really believe is becuase the fps is a downgrade from the 450D and that's a helluvalot of pixels for that size LCD.

The same LCD spec as the D300 isn't it? Harry posted a link to a Thom Hogan review of the D300 and that is what that review said. If the 5D is suppose to be a step up from the D300 I would be suprised to see it have less of an LCD viewer.

As far as fps, remember this is not the Canon sport shooter that is the 1DMknn.

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2008
    The current 5D frame rate of 3 per second is rather lame, even a 20D bests that substantially. But the 5D, was never spec'd as a sports shooter.

Simply adding weather proofing to match the 1 series, raising the AF quality to match a 40D, and dropping the noise level further to allow shooting at ISO 12,500 would be major reasons to upgrade for myself. A few more pixels is nice, but not really necessary at this time.

I have no information about how accurate the leak was, but what I listed above strikes me as what is minimally necessary to keep Canon in the game re: Nikon's new cameras.

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,809 moderator
    edited March 12, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    ... Simply adding weather proofing to match the 1 series, raising the AF quality to match a 40D, and dropping the noise level further to allow shooting at ISO 12,500 would be major reasons to upgrade for myself. A few more pixels is nice, but not really necessary at this time.

That would be sweet! clap.gifclap
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Bubba SatoriBubba Satori Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 12, 2008
    Manfr3d wrote:

Maybe it won't. The Rebel XT and XTi are on sale at the same time.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Maybe it won't. The Rebel XT and XTi are on sale at the same time.

Well, the XT, XTi and XSi are specifically there to counter Nikons offerings of the D40, D40x, D80. Since there is only the D3, which competes with the 1D/1Ds, I think this would simply be an update of the 5D. It is due for an update anyway. Every other camera in the line has been updated, some twice, since the 5D shipped.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    Manfr3d wrote:

My point was a sizable portion of current 5D users seem to be in a huge hurry to ditch their current bodies for whatever mythical replacement is being speculated on at the moment. My question is, what is suddenly so wrong with it? The same people sounded like they just drank the Kool-Aid a couple of months ago.

Consumerism run wild. ne_nau.gif

pathfinder, that FPS spec is part of why I never had any desire for the 5D & spent months arguing against new 5D owners suggesting it for every photographic application known, regardless of the fact that other "lesser" bodies were in fact better equipped to perform some tasks.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    My point was a sizable portion of current 5D users seem to be in a huge hurry to ditch their current bodies for whatever mythical replacement is being speculated on at the moment. My question is, what is suddenly so wrong with it? The same people sounded like they just drank the Kool-Aid a couple of months ago.

pathfinder, that FPS spec is part of why I never had any desire for the 5D & spent months arguing against new 5D owners suggesting it for every photographic application known, regardless of the fact that other "lesser" bodies were in fact better equipped to perform some tasks.

well... if they want to ditch them, I will be more than willing to give the 5d a new home!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2008

Chris, I agree with you that the 5D has siginificant limitations, especially in AF speed and accuracy and FPS rate. It is a much better camera for landscapes than for sports. Does this mean one can't get a great sports frame occaisionally? No, of course not. But it will not succeed at sports like a 40D or a 1DMklll ( even with the Mklll's possibly impaired AF mechanism)

My interest in a 5DMkll is as a potential 1DsMkll replacement or as an alternative to the 1DsMklll. I assume there will be a marketplace for 5Ds for some time. My son is already badgering me for mine:D But I am not ready to give it up, unless I can find a significantly better camera first!

Rampant consumerism is what drives the American economy, isn't it? If we all stopped buying, just think of all the optical engineers put out of a job! We can't allow that!:D

• Options
    natephotonatephoto Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    SOUNDS great...... but hopefully it will focus correctly!!deal.gif
    --
    _:nod Nate____
    Canon 1D Mark II N . Canon 20D . Canon Digital Rebel Xti .
    Speedlite 430 EX .
    Canon : 18-55 kit, 75-300 IS, 70-200 IS f/2.8 L .
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2008
    The 5D and the 40D focuses correctly now. The 5D just does it more slowly. Speed is different than accuracy, which is more vital.

• Options
    natephotonatephoto Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    The 5D and the 40D focuses correctly now. The 5D just does it more slowly. Speed is different than accuracy, which is more vital.
    I was referring to Canon's problems with the 1d Mark III
    --
    _:nod Nate____
    Canon 1D Mark II N . Canon 20D . Canon Digital Rebel Xti .
    Speedlite 430 EX .
    Canon : 18-55 kit, 75-300 IS, 70-200 IS f/2.8 L .
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2008
    Gotchathumb.gif

• Options
    20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    Man it would be nice if it's true. Recently I've been pining for a FF that I could take out regardless of weather conditions so I've been looking at the 1Ds Mk II as an option. This would be a more reasonable alternative for me as it seems I somehow I've convinced myself I have limitless funds and I've yet to make a dime from this hobby, lol.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • Options
    fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    WoW!
    I guess it paid-off when I decided to wait for the 5D upgrade! If those specs are right, what a leap! The price is a little steep, but what's a few extra hours of work? It's worth it right?headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2008
    Thats right. I just figured out that if one crops an image from
    a 15MP chip to APS-C format you get an equivalent of 9MP.
    Assuming that the noise is much lower this would give images
    that are comparable or better than those of the 40D. This would
    mean (almost) no magnification loss for us 1.6x croppers ;)
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    I'm saving up already.. :P Give me fullframe, 15mp, weather sealed, sensor cleaning, 5-8fps, 51 af points etc.. :)
    -Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2008
    Same here! I am saving up for it as well!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2008
    Same here! I am saving up for it as well!
    Lets hope it wont be anounced on April 1st then mwink.gif
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2008
    Well I never did say when I was going to buy it. mwink.gif

Give me three years!rolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com